• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saj and Plunkett

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously Plunkett is a few years younger than Mahmood so the chance for him is a little less miniscule... but it's one of the less likely prospects around. Mahmood, well, we keep on thinking "surely that's the last we'll see of him" and it keeps on not happening, so we just have to hope that each time is the last.

Nonetheless I hope Plunkett plays a few more ODIs somewhere down the line, as his most recent 8 games have actually returned an average which looks very impressive.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mahmood, no. Plunkett, he seemed to have turned a corner, but I'm not 100% sold yet.

Dano.85

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think plunkett will play alot more for england but not yet, give him a few more seasons in county cricket, mahmood just does not seem to be able to take the step up, i have seen alot of him on the county circuit, but as soon as he puts the england shirt on he seems to try bowl as fast as he can and then sprays it a bit. In county cricket he bowls a tad slower and seems to hold his line and lenght better, and he looks a much better bowler.

FBU

International Debutant
Mahmood will become a permanent member of the Lions squad. :)

A while ago a journalist asked Miller what Mahmood's chances of making the Test team and was told the selectors see him more in the one day role. So we saw Plunkett in the Test squad and Mahmood in the ODIs. When injuries arose among the Test squad it was Mark Davies called up and now Shahzad has overtaken Mahmood for Bangladesh. So doubtful that Mahmood will play any more Tests. He could also find others bypassing him in one day cricket as well.

Plunkett has taken 50 wickets in a season three times while Mahmood has yet to do it once. I can see Plunkett playing in all formats for England. Sidebottom has to get injured first.

Dano.85

Mahmood will become a permanent member of the Lions squad. :)

A while ago a journalist asked Miller what Mahmood's chances of making the Test team and was told the selectors see him more in the one day role. So we saw Plunkett in the Test squad and Mahmood in the ODIs. When injuries arose among the Test squad it was Mark Davies called up and now Shahzad has overtaken Mahmood for Bangladesh. So doubtful that Mahmood will play any more Tests. He could also find others bypassing him in one day cricket as well.

Plunkett has taken 50 wickets in a season three times while Mahmood has yet to do it once. I can see Plunkett playing in all formats for England. Sidebottom has to get injured first.
Totally agree, plunkett was picked way to early the first time, he has gone back to county cricket and worked his game out. Mahmood i think may have missed the boat a shame cause i like him.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Mahmood was always a horrible one day player. He showed some promise in tests, but I think he's probably peaked by now.

Plunkett always struck me as a county quality player, nothing more.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Saj is a giant. I once saw him in Asda in Bolton. He also has genuine pace on his side and his natural length is fully than someone of his height.

But as someone mentioned, tick tock tick tock

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Plunkett seems to have improved (though I have not seen him bowl since he last played for England). If he continues with this and gets a couple of FC centuries under his belt then I can see him playing a role in the near future.

Saj. Less said the better

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think plunkett will play alot more for england but not yet, give him a few more seasons in county cricket, mahmood just does not seem to be able to take the step up, i have seen alot of him on the county circuit, but as soon as he puts the england shirt on he seems to try bowl as fast as he can and then sprays it a bit. In county cricket he bowls a tad slower and seems to hold his line and lenght better, and he looks a much better bowler.
Not sure about that as I've never seen him at domestic level but Mahmood has always been a pretty dreadful county bowler. It's why he should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever have been picked for Tests.

Dano.85

Not sure about that as I've never seen him at domestic level but Mahmood has always been a pretty dreadful county bowler. It's why he should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever have been picked for Tests.
I will tell you why he was picked at test and odi's pace, the england selectors want a fast 90 mph bowler and apart from saj there is not much more. I have seen him twice in 09 and thought he had improved. Thats my personal opinion

bryce

International Regular
Mahmood was always a horrible one day player. He showed some promise in tests, but I think he's probably peaked by now.
Yeah agree, which is why I was so suprised that he was included in the most decent ODI squad, seemed like absolute madness.
I think Plunkett can be deadly in swinging conditions, but is probably always going to serve up more than a few half volleys

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I will tell you why he was picked at test and odi's pace, the england selectors want a fast 90 mph bowler and apart from saj there is not much more.
Yup, and picking a bowler because of his pace rather than because of his skill is as most people on CW could tell you a very stupid idea. It's truly worrying that England selectors are incapable of deciphering that.

Dano.85

Yup, and picking a bowler because of his pace rather than because of his skill is as most people on CW could tell you a very stupid idea. It's truly worrying that England selectors are incapable of deciphering that.
And if you go back and read my first post you will see i said he cant make the step up, i have been playing and watcing cricket for 15 years (i am only 24) and ever since i can remeber the england selectors have been obsesed with pace. That will never change and the next bowler who comes along and can bowl with pace will be short tracked into the squad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's unlikely to change, but one can always hope. You're the same age as me and have been watching cricket for not all that much less time, but England (and other) selectors have made any number of crass errors, far from just based on the pace fixation.

As for Mahmood, as I say I don't believe his flaws are temperamental, I merely believe he's a hopeless bowler who isn't good enough for county cricket never mind international.

Dano.85

It's unlikely to change, but one can always hope. You're the same age as me and have been watching cricket for not all that much less time, but England (and other) selectors have made any number of crass errors, far from just based on the pace fixation.

As for Mahmood, as I say I don't believe his flaws are temperamental, I merely believe he's a hopeless bowler who isn't good enough for county cricket never mind international.
Totaly agree on the selectors point, and i also think saj is NOT good enough for england and i would be very disapointed if my county (somerset) signed him.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree..especially when they have Stuard Broad and James Anderson who arent exactly medium pacers.. Broad can bowl really quick on his day..

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree..especially when they have Stuard Broad and James Anderson who arent exactly medium pacers.. Broad can bowl really quick on his day..
Yeah but Broad has an anoying face

Saj has grey hair as well these days, makes him look rather dapper.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF in recent times since Broad and Anderson have started to look the part Anderson has only been dropped for a "pacy" bowler once - Harmison at Sabina Park a year ago. Though Onions was rather absurdly dropped for Harmison at The Oval last summer as well and the reason given was purely that Harmison could offer pace and bounce.

It's been a little while since the "the quicker the better" selection blindfold has been applied around the England table. I don't doubt it'll surface its head again at some point, maybe soon, but the last time I think was probably 2005/06-2006, when Sidebottom was ignored in favour of the aforementioned Mahmood.