Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saj and Plunkett

Saj and Plunkett

Will they have amount to something at the highest level?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Obviously Plunkett is a few years younger than Mahmood so the chance for him is a little less miniscule... but it's one of the less likely prospects around. Mahmood, well, we keep on thinking "surely that's the last we'll see of him" and it keeps on not happening, so we just have to hope that each time is the last.

Nonetheless I hope Plunkett plays a few more ODIs somewhere down the line, as his most recent 8 games have actually returned an average which looks very impressive.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Mahmood, no. Plunkett, he seemed to have turned a corner, but I'm not 100% sold yet.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Dano.85's Avatar
    I think plunkett will play alot more for england but not yet, give him a few more seasons in county cricket, mahmood just does not seem to be able to take the step up, i have seen alot of him on the county circuit, but as soon as he puts the england shirt on he seems to try bowl as fast as he can and then sprays it a bit. In county cricket he bowls a tad slower and seems to hold his line and lenght better, and he looks a much better bowler.

FBU
    Mahmood will become a permanent member of the Lions squad.

A while ago a journalist asked Miller what Mahmood's chances of making the Test team and was told the selectors see him more in the one day role. So we saw Plunkett in the Test squad and Mahmood in the ODIs. When injuries arose among the Test squad it was Mark Davies called up and now Shahzad has overtaken Mahmood for Bangladesh. So doubtful that Mahmood will play any more Tests. He could also find others bypassing him in one day cricket as well.

Plunkett has taken 50 wickets in a season three times while Mahmood has yet to do it once. I can see Plunkett playing in all formats for England. Sidebottom has to get injured first.

Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post
    Mahmood will become a permanent member of the Lions squad.

A while ago a journalist asked Miller what Mahmood's chances of making the Test team and was told the selectors see him more in the one day role. So we saw Plunkett in the Test squad and Mahmood in the ODIs. When injuries arose among the Test squad it was Mark Davies called up and now Shahzad has overtaken Mahmood for Bangladesh. So doubtful that Mahmood will play any more Tests. He could also find others bypassing him in one day cricket as well.

Plunkett has taken 50 wickets in a season three times while Mahmood has yet to do it once. I can see Plunkett playing in all formats for England. Sidebottom has to get injured first.
    Totally agree, plunkett was picked way to early the first time, he has gone back to county cricket and worked his game out. Mahmood i think may have missed the boat a shame cause i like him.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Mahmood was always a horrible one day player. He showed some promise in tests, but I think he's probably peaked by now.

Plunkett always struck me as a county quality player, nothing more.

Saj is a giant. I once saw him in Asda in Bolton. He also has genuine pace on his side and his natural length is fully than someone of his height.

But as someone mentioned, tick tock tick tock
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Plunkett seems to have improved (though I have not seen him bowl since he last played for England). If he continues with this and gets a couple of FC centuries under his belt then I can see him playing a role in the near future.

Saj. Less said the better
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Dano.85 View Post
    I think plunkett will play alot more for england but not yet, give him a few more seasons in county cricket, mahmood just does not seem to be able to take the step up, i have seen alot of him on the county circuit, but as soon as he puts the england shirt on he seems to try bowl as fast as he can and then sprays it a bit. In county cricket he bowls a tad slower and seems to hold his line and lenght better, and he looks a much better bowler.
    Not sure about that as I've never seen him at domestic level but Mahmood has always been a pretty dreadful county bowler. It's why he should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever have been picked for Tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Not sure about that as I've never seen him at domestic level but Mahmood has always been a pretty dreadful county bowler. It's why he should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever have been picked for Tests.
    I will tell you why he was picked at test and odi's pace, the england selectors want a fast 90 mph bowler and apart from saj there is not much more. I have seen him twice in 09 and thought he had improved. Thats my personal opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Mahmood was always a horrible one day player. He showed some promise in tests, but I think he's probably peaked by now.
    Yeah agree, which is why I was so suprised that he was included in the most decent ODI squad, seemed like absolute madness.
    I think Plunkett can be deadly in swinging conditions, but is probably always going to serve up more than a few half volleys
    ODI XI to match the best
    1.Ryder
    2.McCullum+
    3.Guptill
    4.Taylor
    5.Broom
    6.Oram
    7.Elliott
    8.Vettori*
    9.Mills
    10.Southee
    11.Bond
    ringaz_ride@hotmail.com
    To answer your question, yes
    Thanks?
    METEORIC RISE ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dano.85 View Post
    I will tell you why he was picked at test and odi's pace, the england selectors want a fast 90 mph bowler and apart from saj there is not much more.
    Yup, and picking a bowler because of his pace rather than because of his skill is as most people on CW could tell you a very stupid idea. It's truly worrying that England selectors are incapable of deciphering that.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yup, and picking a bowler because of his pace rather than because of his skill is as most people on CW could tell you a very stupid idea. It's truly worrying that England selectors are incapable of deciphering that.
    And if you go back and read my first post you will see i said he cant make the step up, i have been playing and watcing cricket for 15 years (i am only 24) and ever since i can remeber the england selectors have been obsesed with pace. That will never change and the next bowler who comes along and can bowl with pace will be short tracked into the squad.

It's unlikely to change, but one can always hope. You're the same age as me and have been watching cricket for not all that much less time, but England (and other) selectors have made any number of crass errors, far from just based on the pace fixation.

As for Mahmood, as I say I don't believe his flaws are temperamental, I merely believe he's a hopeless bowler who isn't good enough for county cricket never mind international.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information