• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strauss Resting Vs Bangladesh

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Warney's made his views clear...
''What if they [Bangladesh] win the first Test? Does Strauss fly out for the second? I hope it's not the start of a trend. It's a lack of respect for Test cricket."

Strauss's decision has already provoked debate with many observers wondering why he needs to take a break during the Bangladesh tour given he is also set to miss the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean in April and March as he does not play in international cricket's shortest format.
Warne slams Strauss' 'rest'

First he was dismissive of the suggestion that resting Strauss from Bangladesh would benefit England in an Ashes year. Then it was the turn of Alastair Cook, Strauss's stand-in as captain, to have his role in the team questioned.

"That just doesn't sit right with me," Warne said. "I think the England captain shouldn't be resting from a Test series. I hope it doesn't backfire on them. [You wouldn't say to] Allan Border, 'Sorry mate, we're just going to rest you from a Test match so you can be right in nine months' time'. He'd rip your head off. So there's something I don't like.

"I think he's [Cook] been under pressure for his place in the side. He got a hundred [at Durban]. I don't know when he got one before that. A year? 15 Tests? [It was actually seven]. That's a long time for an opener not to get a hundred. Now he's made a hundred, he's captain."
England wrong to rest Andrew Strauss for Bangladesh tour, says Shane Warne - Telegraph

Well, thoughts?

0RI0N

State 12th Man
I am with Warne on this one.
If captains of other countries can tour BD so can he.
If it was a tour to NZ or SL I doubt that he would 'need a rest'.He'd be touring.
Blatant disrespect.
But lol at Warne. Never a wrong time to have a dig at the Poms.

Sir Alex

Banned
I am with Warne. I don't think Strauss has played enough cricket to be "rested" unlike in case of Dhoni (Sri Lanka - 2008). Perhaps I could be wrong.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I'm also with Warne. Strauss won't be going to the T20 WC, so he's going to be sitting around on his arse until the Championship season starts. He's the England Test captain, it's a full-time job, he should be travelling to Bangladesh with the squad.

Dano.85

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Strauss should be going he will get a long enough rest during the t20 wc. Its disrespectfull to bangladesh, and if we get beat the pressure it will put on strauss and flower will be massive. But we still have enough quality going that we should win.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I hope he ends up his Test career 1 or 2 Tests from a major landmark.

I don't get how his rest shouldn't be now, before and after the Test series against Bangladesh.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Probably wouldn't have been the decision I'd have made - but if people think it will benefit our Ashes chances then with all due respect I don't care who is offended or feels disrespected by said decision. Some people will say that points to everything that is wrong about English cricket, I don't care, retaining the Ashes>>>>showing respect to Bangladesh

Xuhaib

International Coach
Probably wouldn't have been the decision I'd have made - but if people think it will benefit our Ashes chances then with all due respect I don't care who is offended or feels disrespected by said decision. Some people will say that points to everything that is wrong about English cricket, I don't care, retaining the Ashes>>>>showing respect to Bangladesh
How is playing in Bangladesh effecting England's ashes chances which is good 10 months off.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But showing respect to Test cricket, no matter against whom should surely be >>>>>>>> than however many meaningless ODIs and/ or T20s he'll no doubt play in the meantime? And if he doesn't play either or both of those formats, then he'll get a rest anyway.

Piss poor frankly, and before anyone says I'm saying this just because he's a blatant cheat and English, I'm not. :ph34r:

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How is playing in Bangladesh effecting England's ashes chances which is good 10 months off.
Well the theory is that the rest now will help him down the line.

Not saying I necessarily subscribe to it but if that's the line of thinking I'm fine with it.

But showing respect to Test cricket, no matter against whom should surely be >>>>>>>> than however many meaningless ODIs and. or T20s he'll no doubt play in the meantime?
Well he won't play any T20s, and he's resting from the Bangladesh ODIs as well tbf.

Some might argue that the fact we have to play bangladesh at all is the biggest disrespect shown to Test cricket. Not me though :ph34r:

Dano.85

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I dont think playing bangladesh is disrespecting test cricket at all, if we want bangladesh to get better compete more they need to play the best teams, i think every test playing nation has sent weaker teams over there. And didnt west indies get beat by them in a test series or match recentley?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he should have gone, but I don't see what the **** it's got to do with Warne that he has to 'slam' him. Perhaps he could complain about why Australia are so disrespectful to the West Indies and Pakistan that they're resting their top ODI player for 40% of their matches this summer?

Anyway, all Warney wants these days is for Rajasthan to play hundreds of T20 matches all round the world and make himself some money. :p Oh, and Clarke to be captain of Australia, of course.

Sir Alex

Banned
I dont think playing bangladesh is disrespecting test cricket at all, if we want bangladesh to get better compete more they need to play the best teams, i think every test playing nation has sent weaker teams over there. And didnt west indies get beat by them in a test series or match recentley?
The bolded protion is not true. India sent their best team (all big 4 played). and Australia too played there last time with full resources if I recollect right. SA too did the same.

Sir Alex

Banned
I think he should have gone, but I don't see what the **** it's got to do with Warne that he has to 'slam' him. Perhaps he could complain about why Australia are so disrespectful to the West Indies and Pakistan that they're resting their top ODI player for 40% of their matches this summer?

Anyway, all Warney wants these days is for Rajasthan to play hundreds of T20 matches all round the world and make himself some money. :p Oh, and Clarke to be captain of Australia, of course.
I don't think comparing ODIs to tests is the correct thing. I don't recollect Australia ever resting their top players in a long time for a test series.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think comparing ODIs to tests is the correct thing. I don't recollect Australia ever resting their top players in a long time for a test series.
They would do though, I think, if they felt it was in their best interests in the long run. Anyway, didn't Australia just cancel the tests completely instead last time Bangladesh were meant to go there?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Happy to discuss this if and when England lose either test. Currently I see no evidence that Bangladesh are worthy of sending your strongest team to face at all costs, although if proven wrong I'll certainly revisit.

Sir Alex

Banned
They would do though, I think, if they felt it was in their best interests in the long run. Anyway, didn't Australia just cancel the tests completely instead last time Bangladesh were meant to go there?
Cancellation of a home series invovles many issues which I don't know about so I cannot comment on it. Australia had every reason to rest their players for their last series in Bangladesh, as the team was literally hanging on their bats when they landed there after an exhausting season. Still they did not. Strauss need not worry about any gruesome cricket for months after this, so I find no real reason in his resting.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Cancellation of a home series invovles many issues which I don't know about so I cannot comment on it. Australia had every reason to rest their players for their last series in Bangladesh, as the team was literally hanging on their bats when they landed there after an exhausting season. Still they did not. Strauss need not worry about any gruesome cricket for months after this, so I find no real reason in his resting.
Well he benifited so well last time he had a break (when he was dropped a couple of years ago), so I presume they're trying repeat that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
English cricketers have the most frequent schedule out of any side so I'm not buying your argument tbh