• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strauss Resting Vs Bangladesh

Sir Alex

Banned
Golf is a big part in the lives of many sportsmen, especialy cricket tours. Players are always looking for where to play.

Now due to all their equipment, cricketers dont take their clubs with them on tour and have to rent clubs. This is a tongue in cheek comment about the worry the quality of rentals available for such an important part of the tour in a country that barely has golf on the map.

Perfectly legit and I cant believe the fuss.
All I am disagreeing is the context in which he has commented on that. If it was during a casual off the cuff chitchat am fine with it, but if it came in a press meet where he was representing the English cricket team, then he really has no business doing it.

A parallel would be while on an official tour representing my company I go to London and in an official meeting, I mention Prince Charles is gay. Now if I am in the company of a few friends, sitting in a pub and chatting over a few drinks, it might be pardonable, but the former is strictly not. Because whatever I am saying during that meeting, am speaking as a representative of my company. I don't think it is that difficult to grasp for a seasoned guy like Collingwood. It actually comes out as a whole lot of moaning before the tour has even commenced.

L Trumper

State Regular
All I am disagreeing is the context in which he has commented on that. If it was during a casual off the cuff chitchat am fine with it, but if it came in a press meet where he was representing the English cricket team, then he really has no business doing it.

A parallel would be while on an official tour representing my company I go to London and in an official meeting, I mention Prince Charles is gay. Now if I am in the company of a few friends, sitting in a pub and chatting over a few drinks, it might be pardonable, but the former is strictly not. Because whatever I am saying during that meeting, am speaking as a representative of my company. I don't think it is that difficult to grasp for a seasoned guy like Collingwood. It actually comes out as a whole lot of moaning before the tour has even commenced.
As far as i know it is not a statement in press, a mere off guard quote in some interview.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Yea because the two are comparable 8-)

Sir Alex

Banned
Yea because the two are comparable 8-)
Both are potentially inflammable statements, completely irrelevant and totally baseless. (Wooden golf clubs haha wish Bhaji complained about absence of pehalwans and kusthis when we tour England next time!). Anyways I have said my last piece on this issue.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Both are potentially inflammable statements, completely irrelevant and totally baseless. (Wooden golf clubs haha wish Bhaji complained about absence of pehalwans and kusthis when we tour England next time!). Anyways I have said my last piece on this issue.
Guess what, nobody would give a **** if he did

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, because hinting at the possibility of poor equipment for a sport which noone gives a **** about in Bangladesh, where there are hardly any facilities and noone plays it is comparable to calling the future British and Commonwealth Head of State gay 8-) If Bangladesh had so much pride in their golf then you would think there would be more than 1 golf course for every 11 million people.

Get some perspective and chill. Too much ****ing unnecessary drama and trouble causing in this world.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Guess what, nobody would give a **** if he did
Exactly.. people would post "WAC Harbhajan" and get on..Same thing happened here. Nobody said Colly should be extradited or effigies burnt.. but simply condemned his lack of tact.

Edit - Well Goughy, I wouldn't be too flattered if we had a similar crown prince to be honest. :p

Re Edit : I just realised I did not stop as promised. Will do so now.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was a tongue in cheek comment. like gayle's 4 - 1 prediction. Leave him alone. Those cricinfo people always trying to spice those things these days like other media.
I'm not sure basically saying a country is backwards = tongue in cheek. If Colly actually said those exact words then he was a bit silly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not sure basically saying a country is backwards = tongue in cheek. If Colly actually said those exact words then he was a bit silly.
LOL I'm sure that you've never said anything tongue-in-cheek about England or the English that could, in theory, cause mass offence if we weren't the friendly, easy-going and generally great guys that we are!

I know you're not an international sportsman etc. but seriously, it was obviously not a malicious comment and if anyone's upset about it then...well, they're stupid

Son Of Coco

LOL I'm sure that you've never said anything tongue-in-cheek about England or the English that could, in theory, cause mass offence if we weren't the friendly, easy-going and generally great guys that we are!

I know you're not an international sportsman etc. but seriously, it was obviously not a malicious comment and if anyone's upset about it then...well, they're stupid
I think there's obviously a difference. There's a history of both sides having a bit of a go at each other with Aus and England. Suggesting a country is backwards will always get people's attention. Although I would like to see a retaliatory headline in a Bangladeshi newspaper that looks like this "Snaggle-Toothed, Gumby-Faced, Soap-Dodging Ranga Casts Doubts On Whether Bangladesh Has Progressed Past 1935" :happy:

L Trumper

State Regular
I think there's obviously a difference. There's a history of both sides having a bit of a go at each other with Aus and England. Suggesting a country is backwards will always get people's attention. Although I would like to see a retaliatory headline in a Bangladeshi newspaper that looks like this "Snaggle-Toothed, Gumby-Faced, Soap-Dodging Ranga Casts Doubts On Whether Bangladesh Has Progressed Past 1935" :happy:
He never said they are backwards or not progressed. He said they didn't have enough golf courses in the country whats that got to do with a country's development?
Only one who cares about what collingwood said is media, who wanted to spice the things up. If he did demean a country , it wouldn't be like this. He said what,when under which circumstances all will taken into account and probably politics may involve. How come just saying a country don't have enough golf courses will offend a tradition, culture, their growth etc is beyond me.

If any news paper prints that bold quote then it is an offense. Even then I don't think any english players take it seriously though.

Son Of Coco

He never said they are backwards or not progressed. He said they didn't have enough golf courses in the country whats that got to do with a country's development?
Only one who cares about what collingwood said is media, who wanted to spice the things up. If he did demean a country , it wouldn't be like this. He said what,when under which circumstances all will taken into account and probably politics may involve. How come just saying a country don't have enough golf courses will offend a tradition, culture, their growth etc is beyond me.

If any news paper prints that bold quote then it is an offense. Even then I don't think any english players take it seriously though.
I think the wooden clubs line would be the offensive one mate, not saying there's not enough places to play golf.

He was just trying to be funny obviously. Anyway, it's up to Bangladeshi people whether they're offended or not, not me.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wasn't Harbhajan the one who had a huge tantrum over having to clean dried mud off his boots before entering New Zealand, claiming it was a disgrace of a country and that he'd never return again all before he'd left the airport?