• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strauss Resting Vs Bangladesh

Sir Alex

Banned
English cricketers have the most frequent schedule out of any side so I'm not buying your argument tbh
Actually England play more test matches than any nation. That is laudable but I am not sure that exactly translates into "gruesome" schedules because they play 2 home and 2 away series in the 2 seasons. Their "non-tour" ODIs are virtually nil. Comparing that with a team like India who play utterly boring 3 nation ODI series and pointless Asia Cups every now and then, it looks much better.

Perhaps one need to do an analysis of how many "player days" these guys put up in a year, I will try to do it when I get some free time.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd be interested to hear Scaly's opinion on this, given simply declaring below 1200 was showing the WI and Pakistan disrespect.

Personally think he should be going, but I don't know the exact circumstances. Maybe he really is tired but, given he'll get a lot of rest anyway, it must be due to him possibly taking up the hobby all good English captains have adopted recently - i.e: he's playing midnight 'poker' with a team-mate's girlfriend.

irfan

State Captain
I'd be interested to hear Scaly's opinion on this, given simply declaring below 1200 was showing the WI and Pakistan disrespect.

Personally think he should be going, but I don't know the exact circumstances. Maybe he really is tired but, given he'll get a lot of rest anyway, it must be due to him possibly taking up the hobby all good English captains have adopted recently - i.e: he's playing midnight 'poker' with a team-mate's girlfriend.
:laugh: Who's Bridge in this scenario?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't have an enormous problem with resting some players for a tour to Bangladesh. I have a problem with a captain not going over to lead the team.

I think the proof was in the pudding last time England came out with leadership shuffles that they should be having Strauss at the helm whenever possible. And I don't think that, if Strauss had some sort of say in this, that it reflects well on him either.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Actually England play more test matches than any nation. That is laudable but I am not sure that exactly translates into "gruesome" schedules because they play 2 home and 2 away series in the 2 seasons. Their "non-tour" ODIs are virtually nil. Comparing that with a team like India who play utterly boring 3 nation ODI series and pointless Asia Cups every now and then, it looks much better.

Perhaps one need to do an analysis of how many "player days" these guys put up in a year, I will try to do it when I get some free time.
My point isn#t that we play more days, but that are schedule never stops for a long time and the players never got a long break. Our home season runs from May to September, we often hit a tour by October or November through until Christmas or beyond, and then another in the second half of the winter. Whereas a side like Australia will get the occasional 4 or 5 month break, IIRC (please do correct me if I#m wrong, but I seem to remember them getting one back in 06, for example)

pasag

RTDAS
hmm, initial reaction is Bangladesh haven't done anything to deserve the "respect" of Strauss.

That said, I'm sure when he retires, he'll look back and regret not captaining his country every single time he could have.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
hmm, initial reaction is Bangladesh haven't done anything to deserve the "respect" of Strauss.

That said, I'm sure when he retires, he'll look back and regret not captaining his country every single time he could have.
This might be true. At the same time if he goes to Australia and fails there with the bat again, and feels that this happened because he was jaded, I'm sure his regret at going to bangladesh when he could have had a rest would have been greater.

Same goes for Anderson although he's obviously not the skipper.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Strauss were to break down at some stage before the Ashes you wouldn't fancy throwing in an opener with no test experience under a player captaining his country for the first time. Strauss wouldn't take anywhere near as much from the series as his replacements will, and at this stage using a tour to Bangladesh as an opportunity to blood some players is perfectly acceptable.

If they lose either test, it's a different matter entirely, but unless that happens I have no strong feelings either way. Just let them do what they feel is best.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If Strauss were to break down at some stage before the Ashes you wouldn't fancy throwing in an opener with no test experience under a player captaining his country for the first time. Strauss wouldn't take anywhere near as much from the series as his replacements will, and at this stage using a tour to Bangladesh as an opportunity to blood some players is perfectly acceptable.
Ian Bell to respond.

Dano.85

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I thought anderson was not going due to injury? While he could go and play while managing his knee the ecb wanted to get it sorted, and not do anouther kp and patch him up intill he brakes down. If that is the real case then thats fair enough you wouldnt want to patch jimmy up get him throught most of the season then he breaks down just before the ashes.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Can't blame the lad for wanting to stay at home and nurse his precious little Ashes urn before it comes back to it's true home later on this summer.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
So, whats the bigger insult to Bangladeshi cricket - claiming they're an ordinary side that can't pick up 20 wickets or not showing up at all? :ph34r:

FBU

International Debutant
Good idea to give Strauss a break. His batting had come to a standstill in SA. We also need to give Cook a chance to get more captaincy experience. What would happen if Strauss was injured? Collingwood gave up the ODI captaincy because it was affecting his batting. Pietersen had the captaincy taken away from him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
In my opinion this has nothing to do with disrespecting Bangladesh (God knows they have done little to earn respect) and all to do with the institution of the England captaincy.

It should not be a part time job. If it is your job then you captain every possible Test. It is as simple as that IMO. To do otherwise would be disrespectful (meh, Ill thow it around as well if others are) to those that have held the post during its long proud history.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
It's a pity Strauss is so fit and doesn't get time out of the game like Ponting and Smith for injuries.

pasag

RTDAS
eh? Ponting played on through an elbow injury this summer, without missing a Test. Infact he's played 63 Tests in a row now, not missing a Test since 2004.

L Trumper

State Regular
In my opinion this has nothing to do with disrespecting Bangladesh (God knows they have done little to earn respect) and all to do with the institution of the England captaincy.

It should not be a part time job. If it is your job then you captain every possible Test. It is as simple as that IMO. To do otherwise would be disrespectful (meh, Ill thow it around as well if others are) to those that have held the post during its long proud history.
This.
Saying it is disrespecting bangladesh and test cricket is bull ****. But as a captain one would expect him to lead the team unless he is injured.
Then again Michael Vaughan said it is not really a bad decision. (He is the most modern of the english captains) So may be this rest help strauss in future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But showing respect to Test cricket, no matter against whom should surely be >>>>>>>> than however many meaningless ODIs and/ or T20s he'll no doubt play in the meantime?
Showing disrespect to the idiotic decision to elevate Bangladesh to Test status = a very fine idea. It won't make the blindest bit of difference to anything, but it's still a good thing to be doing.

Disrespecting Test cricket is what's being done by those who insist Bangladesh are worthy of playing it; disrespecting that decision is actually showing great respect to Test cricket.