Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Players who didn't reach their full potential

Banned

Players who didn't reach their full potential

Shane Bond, Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar would be the obvious ones, they all had the potential to become legendary pace bowlers (though they are all great bowlers respectivley) but with injury getting the best of Bond and Lee, and with Akhtar not being able to handle his personal life they were all unable to reach the full potential which they could have IMO.

So post any cricketers whom you think didn't reach their full potential or in other words underachieved.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Do you really need to copy every single bloody PlanetCricket thread to CW?

Kevin Pietersen's beginning to look like he'll never actually reach his potential. He could be the best batsman in the world, but he really hasn't look like that for the last 12 months. Some of that could be down to his achilles injury, but he looked in terrible form for the entire SA tour. Hopefully he'll find some form in Bangladesh and start playing well again. He needs to get that average back up above 50.
    Last edited by King Pietersen; 10-02-2010 at 04:00 AM.

Hmm, I think Lee still reached his potential, at least from a physical point of view. He's still played a fair bit of cricket for a pace bowler.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Dano.85's Avatar
    Mark ramprakash without a doubt. The guy is a first class run machine.

Greg Blewett didn't fill all of his potential.

Kevin Pietersen- Has played poorly for most of the last 2 years. A time when he should be reaching is prime

Flintoff- Injuries, fitness and an unwillingness to accept towards the tail of his career that he was a better bowler than a batsman

Damien Martyn- All the shots and all the time to play them, but seemed to lack the mental strength to make it work and become world class

Shane Bond- Injuries

Yurav- Looks like, besides a few cameos, he will squander a great natural talent

Asif- problems with authority

Carl Hooper- Looked like a world beater, very average stats.

Atherton- In a different time he could have been so much more
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

Afridi- Could have done more in tests

Inzi- Should have averaged well over 50. Still a very good player though

Harmison- Could go from unplayable to the worst bowler in the world in a matter of months

Simon Jones- Injuries

Hick- The king of first class cricket, poor test player

Caddick- Had all the ingrediants to be all over batsman, but mental strength again seemed to let him down

Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    Do you really need to copy every single bloody PlanetCricket thread to CW?

Kevin Pietersen's beginning to look like he'll never actually reach his potential. He could be the best batsman in the world, but he really hasn't look like that for the last 12 months. Some of that could be down to his achilles injury, but he looked in terrible form for the entire SA tour. Hopefully he'll find some form in Bangladesh and start playing well again. He needs to get that average back up above 50.
    Never, just, no. He'll never be a great but he could be good, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Disagree with most of the names mentioned so far TBH but Carl Hooper and Andrew Caddick are bang-on IMO. Hooper simply can't really have any viable explanation proferred; Caddick was badly handled by selectors. Abysmally handled, in fact.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Who do you disagree with, Richard?

Lee, Shoaib, Bond, Ramprakash, Yuvraj, Martyn, Afridi, Harmison, Inzamam-ul-Haq.

Hick is a questionable case, because he certainly lost-out through utterly dismal selectorial handling to some extent, but I'm far from sure he ever really had it in him to be a top-class Test batsman over a really lengthy time (he of course was such a thing for a relatively short period of 3 years). Simon Jones too I'm not sure about.

Pietersen and Asif both, hopefully, have more of their careers ahead of than behind them. So I don't think it'd be wise to assess them as of yet. Some have only said Pietersen's looking like joining the clan, which is fair enough; some have intimated he already has, which I don't agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Lee, Shoaib, Bond, Ramprakash, Yuvraj, Martyn, Afridi, Harmison, Inzamam-ul-Haq.

Hick is a questionable case, because he certainly lost-out through utterly dismal selectorial handling to some extent, but I'm far from sure he ever really had it in him to be a top-class Test batsman over a really lengthy time (he of course was such a thing for a relatively short period of 3 years). Simon Jones too I'm not sure about.

Pietersen and Asif both, hopefully, have more of their careers ahead of than behind them. So I don't think it'd be wise to assess them as of yet. Some have only said Pietersen's looking like joining the clan, which is fair enough; some have intimated he already has, which I don't agree with.
    Shoaib- Probably needed to more of the same. His career has been okay in short bursts.

Bond- A fantastic bowler. I can't see how you disagree with this one.

Ramps- Simply didn't have it for the top level. No argument from me there.

I stick by Martyn, Harmison and potentially Yurav.

pietersen has scored 16 centuries and averages 48 in test cricket. if he is not one of the greatest players of all time at least he is certainly one of the greatest england has ever had. no way he could be compared with the asifs and bonds who didnt do enough justice to their natural talents.

No matter how much they score players like Gower, M Waugh, Hooper seems like they never achieved their full potential.

I believe that completely with Mark Waugh - as with Hooper. With Gower I think he did as well as he could have. Gower was one of those incredibly rare players who could just rock-up and bat, he hardly needed to practice all career. I don't believe that someone forcing him into practicing more would've helped; in fact, maybe, quite the opposite, for he needed to be relaxed to perform.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information