• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who didn't reach their full potential

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, I dunno. In 1994 there was Crawley who some bright-spark (probably Brian Bolus or Fred Titmus) thought was a better bet than Robin Smith; and in 1998 there was Hick who replaced the injured Thorpe (who BTW had himself done nothing in the couple of Tests in which he was fit).

Then as I say there was the small matter of the lower-order, who were always shown-up as embarrassingly inadequate by SA's. That lower-order decided the whole series in 1995/96.

L Trumper

State Regular
Robin Smith's exclusion was a shocker. But they out did it by never recalling him after SA 95/96 tour.
I thought hick for thorpe as a normal call , I wasn't familiar with the first class performances of other guys during that time. The tailenders well they lost it in 95/96 but they did hung in there in 98 which helped to achieve series victoy.
There may be selction howlers against SA too but less compared to other calls.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Robin Smith's exclusion was a shocker. But they out did it by never recalling him after SA 95/96 tour.
I thought hick for thorpe as a normal call , I wasn't familiar with the first class performances of other guys during that time. The tailenders well they lost it in 95/96 but they did hung in there in 98 which helped to achieve series victoy.
There may be selction howlers against SA too but less compared to other calls.
I don't disagree that probably, via strange coincidence, England's selectors tended to make fewer errors in the 1990s when the opponents happened to be South Africa. And yes it was most heartening to see Croft, Gough and Fraser keep-out South Africa's bowlers in the Old Trafford Test of 1998 as Paul Adams had so infuriatingly managed to keep-out Cork, Malcolm and Fraser himself at Newlands in 1995/96. Whether England would've won that series had they knocked-over Adams instantly we'll never know, but it might well have been a classic series-decider had they done so. Instead it was an embarrassment. And the fact that that Old Trafford escape was followed by two victories made it that much sweeter.

As for Hick replacing Thorpe in 1998, well, 11-and-a-half years down the line it's difficult to really give a truly convincing account of the whos, whats, wheres, whens and whys, but speaking purely in hindsight I've tended to think Crawley himself probably deserved a call-up earlier (he ended-up playing only in the last Test of the summer, after Hick), and that any of Ben Smith, Mal Loye, Aftab Habib and Alistair Brown probably deserved it more than Hick. Only Habib of those four even played Test cricket (he might as well not have - he got a whole 3 innings') and all of them undoubtedly deserved something of a chance, especially Brown. Loye almost got it later in the summer as well, but in the end they went for Steve James (who like Habib never got a remotely fair crack of the whip). Hick it could be argued should have exhausted his chances by that time. There is no guarantee that any of Smith, Habib, Loye, Brown or James would've been successful Test players given a fair chance - but Hick was in the end probably given too many chances and they were not given enough, especially given some of the others who played around their time.

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular
Thanks for that season details. I always felt crawley handled poorly out of all others although he did play a few here and there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hmm, he did poorly in the Tests and in my book there's no way he should've played them - Hick was stupidly unlucky to get dropped when he did. How on Earth anyone thought Gooch moving into the middle-order to accommodate Lathwell was a good idea either is beyond me.

I know Lathwell was highly regarded early in his career but my point is essentially that those early expectations were ineducated ones - people did not yet know that Lathwell had such a hatred of the limelight. If that had been known, everyone would have always known that he was never going to make a successful international cricketer.
It's uneducated.

AaronK

State Regular
Inzi
afridi
Astle
Ganguly
Mark Waugh
abdul razzaq

these are the once that i can' remember now

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kevin Pietersen- Has played poorly for most of the last 2 years. A time when he should be reaching is prime
Nah. He hasn't been great since injuries, but there's still time left.

Flintoff- Injuries, fitness and an unwillingness to accept towards the tail of his career that he was a better bowler than a batsman
Quite possibly, though was still a world-beater for like 2 years at least.

Damien Martyn- All the shots and all the time to play them, but seemed to lack the mental strength to make it work and become world class
Was poorly treated by the Australian selectors, but I don't think he's a all-time great.

Shane Bond- Injuries
Definetly.

Yurav- Looks like, besides a few cameos, he will squander a great natural talent
Dunno, don't think he had the techinque.

Asif- problems with authority
Still looks likely to have a successful career.

Carl Hooper- Looked like a world beater, very average stats.
Sucked early in his career IIRC.

Atherton- In a different time he could have been so much more
He was still pretty good. Just had some back problems.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sucked early in his career IIRC.
He did, but even after "coming good" he only averaged about 42 from 1993-1999, which was still well below most expectations. He also decided to walk-out in 1999, and only returned briefly in 2001 when quite a few people felt he should not have been made welcome.

Sir Alex

Banned
But for his injuries in his prime which robbed him off 3 years cricket at his full otential, Tendulkar would be averaging in the 60s and perhaps would have went on to score 20k runs in test matches.

morgieb

Afridi- Could have done more in tests
Needed to learn that slogging doesn't get you a successful career.

Inzi- Should have averaged well over 50. Still a very good player though
Still had a pretty awesome career.

Harmison- Could go from unplayable to the worst bowler in the world in a matter of months
Too much of a poof TBF.

Simon Jones- Injuries
Agreed.

Hick- The king of first class cricket, poor test player
From 96 onwards, yeah, otherwise, he either played awesome and had a very good OD career too.

Caddick- Had all the ingrediants to be all over batsman, but mental strength again seemed to let him down
Always thought he needed something in the pitch to be good, but probably.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Nah. He hasn't been great since injuries, but there's still time left.

Flintoff- Quite possibly, though was still a world-beater for like 2 years at least.
It should have been more like 5 years.

Martyn- Was poorly treated by the Australian selectors, but I don't think he's a all-time great.
Not an all-time great, but an especially fine player who would have had twice as many games in any other side.

He was still pretty good. Just had some back problems
The 90s were a burden to him. We were terrible and he had the world on his shoulders.

_Ed_

I don't really agree. Sure, he probably had the ability to do even better than he did, but I think 27 international centuries is a decent return for a guy who started his FC career as a bowler who batted a bit.

L Trumper

State Regular
But for his injuries in his prime which robbed him off 3 years cricket at his full otential, Tendulkar would be averaging in the 60s and perhaps would have went on to score 20k runs in test matches.
Its difficult to see how he will be in his prime after 14 years in cricket, the injuries are bound to happen but they way he came back and reinvented himself since 07 is more or less make up for the part he struggled. You don't expect a player to go injury free for more than 20 years unless he is freakishly athletic. He achieved everything expected of him and more. Saying he should have done more is really unfair on him and on other talented players who had the potential but failed to do half of what SRT done.