• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif vs Steyn

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Steyn, but what I have seen of Asif, I rate him. He reminds me more of a Mcgrath than a out-and-out pace man.

I remember him causing huge problems for Tresco when Pakistan came to England in 06 (One day series).

SeamUp

International Coach
Steyn by a country mile. Ginger couldn't have said it any better.

Its also difficult to contrast Asif to a Steyn type bowler.

Steyn is with the real genuine great quicks like M.Marshall, Donald, Lille, Hadlee, Waqar and so on.

I think Asif is battling when compared to similar type bowlers in McGrath and Pollock but is still one fine bowler.

Many people are comparing Steyn to Sir Richard Hadlee. To name a few...Sir Geoff Boycott and Danny Morrison who played 5 years with him.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon both are top Test pros but Steyn's is the better all-round package. Injuries aside, reckon he'll go past Donald as one of his country's best ever bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Reckon Asif is the more talented bowler personally and if he avoids any further misdemenours (which I'd rate unlikely based on his past record) he could yet have more good times ahead of him than Steyn does.

However, on the basis that Asif has wasted loads of time by being banned for various things Steyn has quite patently achieved more to date.

If it were a case of picking one tomorrow, there are more circumstances under which I'd pick Asif than Steyn, but daym, I'd be happy with either.

And both would perhaps be the ultimate combination, in fact. You could hardly wish for a better complimentary pair.

So - better so far? Steyn without question. Who's going to be better from today onwards? Reckon Steyn again but more on the basis of Asif's off-field temperament than any on-field considerations.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Reckon both are top Test pros but Steyn's is the better all-round package. Injuries aside, reckon he'll go past Donald as one of his country's best ever bowlers.
In my book Steyn does not have the slightest chance of trumping Donald's achievements. I don't imagine he can bowl any better than he has the last 3-and-a-bit years, and even then he still hasn't bowled as well as Donald did virtually all career.

He'll probably end-up with more Test wickets than Donald but that's about the only respect in which I see him surpassing him.

SeamUp

International Coach
We've been lucky to have a fair few over the years and Steyn is right up there with many of our greats and might end up being the best like you say.

Adcock & Heine

P.Pollock & Procter

Le Roux & Van der Bijl

Donald & De Villiers

Donald & S. Pollock

S. Pollock & Ntini

Ntini & Steyn

Steyn & M.Morkel

Thats excluding all of our batting all-rounders like Goddard, Barlow, Kallis, Rice & McMillan.

We really have been blessed with quick bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its also difficult to contrast Asif to a Steyn type bowler.

Steyn is with the real genuine great quicks like M.Marshall, Donald, Lille, Hadlee, Waqar and so on.

I think Asif is battling when compared to similar type bowlers in McGrath and Pollock but is still one fine bowler.
Um... how are Marshall, Donald, Lillee, Hadlee and Waqar real genuine great quicks and McGrath and Pollock aren't? :huh: They're all equal at the top of the tree - Pollock and Waqar lacking the longevity of the others, but there's no way McGrath and Pollock are a class behind Donald, Lillee et al.
Many people are comparing Steyn to Sir Richard Hadlee. To name a few...Sir Geoff Boycott and Danny Morrison who played 5 years with him.
That's a strange comparison. Maybe a much better version of the early Hadlee - but he's not a patch on the later Hadlee and never will be as he lacks the height and containing length. Steyn is all about attack; Hadlee was the ultimate fusion of attack and defence.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We've been lucky to have a fair few over the years and Steyn is right up there with many of our greats and might end up being the best like you say.

Adcock & Heine

P.Pollock & Procter

Le Roux & Van der Bijl

Donald & De Villiers

Donald & S. Pollock

S. Pollock & Ntini

Ntini & Steyn

Steyn & M.Morkel

Thats excluding all of our batting all-rounders like Goddard, Barlow, Kallis, Rice & McMillan.

We really have been blessed with quick bowlers.
Rice a batting-all-rounder? :huh:

SeamUp

International Coach
Um... how are Marshall, Donald, Lillee, Hadlee and Waqar real genuine great quicks and McGrath and Pollock aren't? :huh: They're all equal at the top of the tree - Pollock and Waqar lacking the longevity of the others, but there's no way McGrath and Pollock are a class behind Donald, Lillee et al.

That's a strange comparison. Maybe a much better version of the early Hadlee - but he's not a patch on the later Hadlee and never will be as he lacks the height and containing length. Steyn is all about attack; Hadlee was the ultimate fusion of attack and defence.
I'm not saying that M.Marshall/Donald/Lillee and so on are better than Pollock/McGrath/Asif because they are quicker but they go about their work in different ways and to me I put fast bowlers into different categories. If I had combine them McGrath and Pollock would easily get into my top 7 or 8 fast bowlers in the last 20 years.

I agree with your comments on Hadlee v Steyn but I also agree with what they are saying. In recent times Steyn has become more shrewd like Hadlee and he also does't bowl as many bad balls as he used to. He now bowls that channel and sets up batsman as he thinks more on his feet now...with an outty, outty and then a inny. Also their smooth load up before release is similar.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rice a batting-all-rounder? :huh:
Yup batted 5 or 6 for the Mean Machine and would have batted 6 for SA as well as he batted their for SA against rebels. Averaged 40 in FC cricket and scored 26 000 FC runs and 48 FC hundreds. He was a 1st change bowler in SA. You then have 930 FC wickets at 22's.