• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another comical moment on the cards

pasag

RTDAS
Quick question, was there ever any justification given for getting rid of Lawson?

I give this two months btw.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Quick question, was there ever any justification given for getting rid of Lawson?

Keeping Lawson would have been logical, PCB and logic can never be applied together.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I loved Lawson.

This is going to end in disaster though :laugh:

Looking forward to the sequel of the DVD special 'Guru Greg'

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Well, TBH, and not that i want to defend in anyway or form the PCB at this time or the crimes against Pakistan Cricket that they have committed....This might just click for Pakistan.....I just have a feeling that a bunch of barbarians like the Pakistan Cricketers have become, Chappell might just be that devil who might punish them and perhaps put them on the right track.....

I personally thought Lawson was a very "good guy" for our cricketers....we need more of a coersive devilish coach...rather then a softy like Lawson....

Also Ijaz Ahmed the U19 Coach is going to be with Pakistan in UAE against Eng T20s......so lets see how well he does the job...but 2 T20s is hardly a measurable tool to see Ijaz..

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Well Afridi likes to do what 'every other team does' and Chappell likes his bowlers bowling with 'unconventional' action for one delivery if it means it will win them a game. They could certainly click.

AaronK

State Regular
I wonder how is he going to get along with guys like shoaib akhtar and shahid afridi..I don't think this will work.. Bring Lawson back.. he was very good..

Faisal1985

I wonder how is he going to get along with guys like shoaib akhtar and shahid afridi..I don't think this will work.. Bring Lawson back.. he was very good..
I wouldn't mind seeing Aaqib in the coaching position either.....

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Pakistan lost both the test and ODI series to India in 2007. When Pakistan lose to India, heads roll.

Anyway, I agree with Xuhaib. This is a ridiculous move. What upsets me about PCB is they keep doing the same things over and over again, just rotating the same failed policies thats all..
When they sacked Lawson, they said the last two foreign coaches Woolmer and Lawson had failed so no more foreign coaches..only national coaches.

Now that Intikhar has failed, its back to foreign coaches.

Dont they realize that a coach has very little to do with an actual match at the international level? This is not football where the manager plays the most important part.
Coach's scope is limited. Greg Chappell cannot change the fact that Imran Farhat and Salman Butt, being openers move their feet across and get lbw, or play away from their body and get nicked. He cant change the fact that Faisal Iqbal is a pathetic batsman nor can he change the fact that Mohammad Yousuf consistently fails against top quality teams overseas.

The change has to come at the grassroot level, so that in 4-5 years time, the newer players dont have these deficiencies!

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Thankfully Greg Chappell has declined the offer.. I kind of expected this because no foreigners are willing to come to Pakistan now anyway!

Sir Alex

Banned
Pakistan lost both the test and ODI series to India in 2007. When Pakistan lose to India, heads roll.

Anyway, I agree with Xuhaib. This is a ridiculous move. What upsets me about PCB is they keep doing the same things over and over again, just rotating the same failed policies thats all..
When they sacked Lawson, they said the last two foreign coaches Woolmer and Lawson had failed so no more foreign coaches..only national coaches.

Now that Intikhar has failed, its back to foreign coaches.

Dont they realize that a coach has very little to do with an actual match at the international level? This is not football where the manager plays the most important part.
Coach's scope is limited. Greg Chappell cannot change the fact that Imran Farhat and Salman Butt, being openers move their feet across and get lbw, or play away from their body and get nicked. He cant change the fact that Faisal Iqbal is a pathetic batsman nor can he change the fact that Mohammad Yousuf consistently fails against top quality teams overseas.

The change has to come at the grassroot level, so that in 4-5 years time, the newer players dont have these deficiencies!
Yeah unfortunately Pakistan is still obsessed with India. No matter how good their palyers do, if they cannot perform against India they are out. And vice versa. No matter how terrible they are otherwise, if they perform against India, they are in for ever. (Akmal, Butt, Khan) etc. I think this mentatlity should change. India is just another team out there.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yeah unfortunately Pakistan is still obsessed with India. No matter how good their palyers do, if they cannot perform against India they are out. And vice versa. No matter how terrible they are otherwise, if they perform against India, they are in for ever. (Akmal, Butt, Khan) etc. I think this mentatlity should change. India is just another team out there.
This is one dire post.

Butt and Akmal are in because there is no better alternatives and YK is a brilliant bat so will score runs India or no India.Pakstan batsman do well against India because Indian bowling is of much poor quality compared to other major sides not because they suddenly get a turbo boost when facing India.

I thought precam had improved I guess I was wrong.

Sir Alex

Banned
This is one dire post.

Butt and Akmal are in because there is no better alternatives and YK is a brilliant bat so will score runs India or no India.Pakstan batsman do well against India because Indian bowling is of much poor quality compared to other major sides not because they suddenly get a turbo boost when facing India.

I thought precam had improved I guess I was wrong.
I apologise. I somehow mixed up the ODI and test records of these players. Butt has a brilliant ODI record against Ind, Khan indeed has a smashing record vs Ind but his batting hasnt been bad otherwise, Akmal's case too echoes a similar case. Sorry.

Faisal1985

Was watching this one time show on Geo...its called "Cricket ka Muqadma"...alot of big names were present (Qadir, Miandad, Aamir Sohail, Mushtaq Ahmed, Imran Khan, and many other PCB associates along with various cricket show hosts).... and from different cities their were general public voicing their concerns as well....later walked in Imran Khan...and a lot of people asked him to quit politics and fix cricket......Very interesting show actually...... (watch it if you want : ZemTv.Com check out the entry on 7th of Feb)....

And i started wondering myself...how would Imran do things if he is the chairman or at any level where he has the power to change things around.....in these chaotic times should Imran be called upon to bring order and discipline to Pak Cricket....

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Would have thought the prospect of Ijaz Ahmed taking over as coach would be more comical considering accusations from former players that Ijaz was one of the most corrupt players in the Pakistani side in the 1990s alongside brother in-law, Saleem Malik. Bad enough that Ijaz is coaching the U19 side given that.

Faisal1985

Would have thought the prospect of Ijaz Ahmed taking over as coach would be more comical considering accusations from former players that Ijaz was one of the most corrupt players in the Pakistani side in the 1990s alongside brother in-law, Saleem Malik. Bad enough that Ijaz is coaching the U19 side given that.
He is pretty successful with U19 team and if you start picking out the "corrupt" people in Pakistan Cricket....no one will be legible except a handful of honest ppl.