• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Restructure the Australian Summer

howardj

International Coach
Look, after the fare served up this Summer, in the interests of Test cricket specifically and cricket in general here in Australia, I really think we should just play South Africa, India and England on a three-Summer rotational basis.

Each Summer would consist of:
- Five Tests
- Five ODIs
- Two T20s

Such a limited international schedule, could free the players up for the Big Bash in January.

Like Bangladesh in 2003, the other international teams can come in October, and play a maximum of two Tests and maybe some ODIs and T20s. Otherwise, like with Sri Lanka in 2003, they can come in the Winter.

It's got to be better than having teams out here who are (a) substandard and (b) who appear only mildly interested in Test cricket.

I shudder at the damage this Summer is doing to the game.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
A bit harsh TBH. Windies where good in the test could have won two games. They are only gash in the current ODI series due to injuries.

PAK where the real disgrace yea due to their internal issues. But i'm not up for the rotational idea.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Look, after the fare served up this Summer, in the interests of Test cricket specifically and cricket in general here in Australia, I really think we should just play South Africa, India and England on a three-Summer rotational basis.

- Five Tests
- Five ODIs
- Two T20s

Such a limited international schedule, could free the players up for the Big Bash in January.

Like Bangladesh in 2003, the other international teams can come in October, and play a maximum of two Tests and maybe some ODIs and T20s. Otherwise, like with Sri Lanka in 2003, they can come in the Winter.

It's got to be better than having teams out here who are (a) substandard and (b) who appear only mildly interested in Test cricket.

and how was this summer any different to the 2006 summer when Eng were here or 2005 when SA played?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely seems to be annoying for cricket australia that they've had two bad teams together. It's rubbish when that happens.

archie mac

International Coach
Is it just me:-O I thought the Test cricket this summer was superb, and l loved every moment of it:cool:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I quite enjoyed the Tests. Far better than expected.

Shorter formats have been rubbish though

Matt79

Global Moderator
Have a RoW team made of non English non Saffies every three years. Pay them megabucks to free them up from national commitments.

howardj

International Coach
Speak for yourself - the Brisbane Test was ****-house.

Just generally though, I feel this Summer is really damaging the cricket brand.

I guess my point is that I don't think we can afford to have two **** teams in the one Summer anymore.

Do you know that TV figures on Sunday night were down 40% on last Summer?

That is massive. You don't care about cricket if you're not concerned by that.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Speak for yourself - the Brisbane Test was ****-house.

Just generally though, I feel this Summer is really damaging the cricket brand.

I guess my point is that I don't think we can afford to have two **** teams in the one Summer anymore.

Do you know that TV figures on Sunday night were down 40% on last Summer?

That is massive. You don't care about cricket if you're not concerned by that.
Does that mean this current Ind-SA test has been **** too ?

I think you are over reacting in 3 out of 6 tests the result of the test match was wide open going in to the final innings and credit has to be given to Aus. Sure the opponent was sub par but this does not take away the fact the Aus performance was actually much better then it has been for the previous 18 months.Did anyone expect guys like Watson,Bollinger,Hauritz to raise their performance by soo much when the summer started.

I agree the odi's have been dire but Pak,Wi being uncompetitive in odi's is strange rather then a usual trend.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree that the Tests have been much better than previous seasons. The Sydney test in particular was sensational, even the Perth test was interesting. I think a lot of the one day appeal has been lost because of the tri-series. Even though there were games where Australia weren't playing, the 2nd side to play in the finals often wasn't decided until the last game and there was still interest in the one day games. A five match series is pretty much uninteresting after a team goes up 3-0. There's no final 'as such'.

I still reckon the one dayers should come pre test match series. Even if there is a five math one day series beginning early October and a 2/3 match test series in October/November. A one day series late November/Early December concluding with a test series in the new year. That would then free up Australian & international players for a full big bash season if it begins in the new year.

There is no clash with the football codes as they finish early October.

howardj

International Coach
I still reckon the one dayers should come pre test match series. Even if there is a five math one day series beginning early October and a 2/3 match test series in October/November. A one day series late November/Early December concluding with a test series in the new year. That would then free up Australian & international players for a full big bash season if it begins in the new year.

There is no clash with the football codes as they finish early October.
Very much so.

The ODIs could whet the appetite for the Tests and also have the dual benefit of getting the touring team acclimatised - rather than getting spanked in a Test match just a few days after they get off the plane.

cbuts

International Debutant

- Five Tests
- Five ODIs
- Two T20s

West Indies could of beaten you twice.
Pakistan SHOULD have won in Sydney

Using this system, I wonder if Australia would of ever got out of a 2nd division, that they would of been in in the 80s