• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff's Bowling

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Because Flintoff's batting ability wasn't affected by carrying the weight of bowling heavy on his shoulders?

Flintoff averaged 40 over about a four-year period. The rest of the time he varied in quality, but I very much doubt you'll ever see Johnson influence a series with the bat like Flintoff did in India 06, or at home to Australia 05, to use a couple of my favourite examples.

Don't get me wrong I do rate Johnson as a batsman, one of the best lower-middle order batsmen around, but he isn't as good as Flintoff was.
Uhh, try South Africa last year? His clean hitting in that series pretty much matched anything that I've ever seen Flintoff do. They're pretty much on par in my books. Johnson would be batting higher up the order if he played for another country.

That's some of the worst logic I've ever seen.
And that's a pretty poor response for a perfectly relevant statement.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Uhh, try South Africa last year? His clean hitting in that series pretty much matched anything that I've ever seen Flintoff do. They're pretty much on par in my books. Johnson would be batting higher up the order if he played for another country.
You've obviously not seen much that Flintoff did then. Yes, Johnson batted well, very bloody well in fact. And yeah his average in that series is awesome etc, but I honestly don't think you can put it on a par with something like Flintoff's batting in India 06. He never even tonned up but was masterful, led from the front, hit a 41 and four 50s from five innings.

And that's a pretty poor response for a perfectly relevant statement.
Is it? You basically said that Flintoff not getting Johnson out at Lord's last summer proves that Johnson is a better batsman. Say what?

King Pietersen

International Captain
You've obviously not seen much that Flintoff did then. Yes, Johnson batted well, very bloody well in fact. And yeah his average in that series is awesome etc, but I honestly don't think you can put it on a par with something like Flintoff's batting in India 06. He never even tonned up but was masterful, led from the front, hit a 41 and four 50s from five innings.
Or his batting in the 2005 Ashes, played a couple of vital knocks in that series and was then England's catalyst with the ball. Doubt Johnson will ever have a series as brilliant as Flintoff's Ashes. WAG.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
South Africa 2008/09

He basically turned an entire country from hating him into loving him in the space of two series' against South Africa.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was also at Lords that day and the number of times that Johnson played and missed to Flintoff during that spell....

Great logic though it must be said. might start using it more widely. Graham Onions never got out to any South African bowlers in the last series, clearly makes him a better player than all of them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was also at Lords that day and the number of times that Johnson played and missed to Flintoff during that spell....

Great logic though it must be said. might start using it more widely. Graham Onions never got out to any South African bowlers in the last series, clearly makes him a better player than all of them.
He had Johnson plumb from a no-ball too

Mind you, I've argued in the past that no-balls absolutely should not count towards FCA so maybe I should discredit my own argument :ph34r:

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
To be fair Johnson has the raw materials to be a very good bowler. He balls rapid with an action that both hides the ball and leaves the batsman in doubt as to the exact moment of release. Look at poor Ian Bell last summer, he really didn't enjoy having Johnson bowling at him. However, sometimes he sprays it all over the place and that obviously won't do.

His batting average in tests is 26, and a mere 15 in ODIs, so he has some catching up to Flintoff to do in that department.

L Trumper

State Regular
Flintoff better bowler than Lee, dont think so. Lee is without doubt the better ODI bowler, that cannot be argued. Lee has taken 30% more wickets at a lower average than Flintoff, there is no possible way Flintoff is a better test bowler than Lee. I know you are English and like to push your own players but dont get to excited.
It can be argued. Flintoff avg 24 in odi and lee 23. Lee is better with new ball probably the best in recent years. But flintoff is better in death overs probably malinga is the only one who is better than flintoff during death overs. Besides flintoff is england's stock bowler and strike bowlers in odis depends on jimmy's mood.While brett lee has the license to attack. Lee also benefited from mcgrath on the otherside who chokes out the runs. Saying it cannot be argued and lee is clearly better meant you didn't follow flintoff odi career enough to rate him as a bowler.
As far as test records considered if you really want to do all the statistics thing then take out the lee's amazing first year and add the fact that flintoff's a 2nd change bowler till 2002.
As far as I am considered it's not english pushing things rather everyone else dwell in statistics madness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Flintoff better bowler than Lee, dont think so. Lee is without doubt the better ODI bowler, that cannot be argued. Lee has taken 30% more wickets at a lower average than Flintoff, there is no possible way Flintoff is a better test bowler than Lee.
Flintoff can bowl more economically than Lee has ever been able to dream of and is thus clearly a fair bit better in ODIs. In Tests the gap is even bigger, Lee has basically had 2 good periods of about 8 Tests' length each. Flintoff had 3 whole years of being a good Test bowler in which he played about 30 Tests. There is no viable measure under which Lee can be considered anywhere near as good a Test bowler as Flintoff.
I know you are English and like to push your own players but dont get to excited.
You don't know anything of the sort, you merely project your prejudice onto others. I'm one of the least nationally\regionally biased posters around, and this is recognised in the fact that I've been accused of being biased towards and against just about every national side around. You are of course in the eyes of just about everyone on this board who is familiar with your posting hopelessly biased towards Australians.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Would anyone really take Brett Lee over a fit Andrew Flintoff?

Lee had the raw pace and terrified tailenders with it but I've seen him really clobbered around the park before and whatsmore, when he is clobbered around he becomes more aggressive, but aggressive in a loose kind of way and subsequently even worse as a bowler.

Despite his extreme pace I regarded him as easy pickings for our batsman in the 05 ashes with his bowling average of about 43 in the series confirming this, and in this period he was consistently racking up 95mph.

L Trumper

State Regular
Yeah, yeah. It's more true then it is false. Flintoff was an okay batsman when at his best and a tailend-esque batsman when at his worst. I reckon that if Johnson didn't have the weight of bowling heavy overs on his shoulders that he has the batting ability to average around 40 in Test Cricket with the blade, given he batted top 5. Of course that will never happen, but the way he bossed around the likes of Steyn on his home turf with ease should not be long forgotten.
I don't think any okay batsman can hit warne at his very best out of the park while others crumbling apart. And can play him sensibly to make a century curbing his natural instincts. To compare johnson's batting with flintoff right now is laughable. If he can repeat his performance against SA in couple more series then he may be near flintoff's level.
Every batsman at his worst are tailend-esque.
AS far as sharing bowling load? Really johnson has to carry aussie attack? for how long? 2 series? Flintoff is doing that for england since hoggard's poor form with absolute crap of an ankle not to mention odis where he is the only one that control runs and take wickets consistently.
In fact it can be argued that flintoff never bowl rubbish like MJ did in ashes will help lose ENG a series with his bowling.

One of Flintoff's very best bowling performances was in the 2nd Test of last years Ashes and even when at his very best, Flintoff couldn't get Johnson out.Take it for what it's worth.
It's clearly worthless. Like every one else pointed out kallis couldn't get onions out.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well if we assume both Lee and Flintoff at top of their game, I'd pick Flintoff but it's not that far apart. It's unfair to compare Lee when he was crap with Flintoff of '05 Ashes.

L Trumper

State Regular
Would anyone really take Brett Lee over a fit Andrew Flintoff?

Lee had the raw pace and terrified tailenders with it but I've seen him really clobbered around the park before and whatsmore, when he is clobbered around he becomes more aggressive, but aggressive in a loose kind of way and subsequently even worse as a bowler.

Despite his extreme pace I regarded him as easy pickings for our batsman in the 05 ashes with his bowling average of about 43 in the series confirming this, and in this period he was consistently racking up 95mph.
I'd take flintoff in odis even as a pure bowler. As i mentioned before flintoff never get hits out of the park and is damn good death bowler and won't lose matches cause of his bowling.
As far as tests considered as a pure bowler lee may be bit better because he gives more san attacking option. Then again flintoff never had a chance to bowl like an all out attack bowler even though he is capable of that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
At his best, he was ferocious, but Lee had some amazing series too, especially after McGrath retired and he took some responsibility. Yea, Flintoff has the batting, and yes I'd pick him over Lee, but I don't think it's fair to say that only a 'one eyed aussie' would take Flintoff if they were both at peak form. I think depending on your team, you could make an argument for Lee.

L Trumper

State Regular
Well if we assume both Lee and Flintoff at top of their game, I'd pick Flintoff but it's not that far apart. It's unfair to compare Lee when he was crap with Flintoff of '05 Ashes.
Not just ashes 05, since 2004 flintoff is genuinely good bowler with occasional spells of greatness. Lee on the other hand after his super human start to the career fall off the radar and became a really good prospect in 2007/08 season. He is good in patches but as an attacking bowler he should be good in most of the series he played in. [I am talking about test performances only]