• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abdul Qadir's Australian Adventure, 1998

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Was gonna post this. Loved reading it. Loved the part where Qadir gave up his whole break to teach the wrong'un to a ground-staff.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They still talk about Abdul now in circles. The following year Carlton got Carl Hooper over as well. Loved the story about his team-mates having to bring out a helmet each over, as a spinner and pace bowler alternated.

To put that in perspective, someone getting fifty wickets is rare. In my time in district cricket (six years) I think only one person has gotten 60 wickets in a season. 72 is beyond belief.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Great piece of journalism.

Bit of a sidenote, but I've always had a really distaste for competitions that allow bowlers to bowl all innings. Qadir's feat seems incredible, but it can't have done much good for younger players coming through.

Noble One

Fantastic read. $40,000 for a season in Melbourne playing club cricket is not bad coin to earn in 1998.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Great piece of journalism.

Bit of a sidenote, but I've always had a really distaste for competitions that allow bowlers to bowl all innings. Qadir's feat seems incredible, but it can't have done much good for younger players coming through.
They are 100 over days. If he's prepared to bowl 50 overs in a row, congratulations.

Xuhaib

International Coach
is working day and night on his youngest son these days did not seem special in the u-19 wc but I guess its tough to pass a judgement on a 16 yr old leggie.

Jungle Jumbo

They are 100 over days. If he's prepared to bowl 50 overs in a row, congratulations.
But surely it would have been better for him to have been only allowed to bowl 25 or 30 overs, allowing someone else to bowl 20 or so? I've seen league games over here (admittedly only 50 or 55 over innings) where two bowlers have just bowled right through. And one bowling their 25 is very common.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
But surely it would have been better for him to have been only allowed to bowl 25 or 30 overs, allowing someone else to bowl 20 or so? I've seen league games over here (admittedly only 50 or 55 over innings) where two bowlers have just bowled right through. And one bowling their 25 is very common.
Its a pretty big non-issue in this form of cricket over here. I can see the point that you are making, but in terms of legislating against it, I don't really see the point, as it occurs so rarely.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Really enjoyed reading that. I knew that Qadir played in Aus, but had never read about his exploits there in detail. Qadir was one of those quirky legends of Pakistan cricket. There are so many interesting stories about him out there. This story was one of the best I've read for sure.

Jungle Jumbo

Its a pretty big non-issue in this form of cricket over here. I can see the point that you are making, but in terms of legislating against it, I don't really see the point, as it occurs so rarely.
Fair enough then. There has been talk of changing it over here, that's probably more a consequence of shorter formats though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Fair enough then. There has been talk of changing it over here, that's probably more a consequence of shorter formats though.
Yeah, more a problem over there with games where you require 10 wickets contained within one day, played under non-limited overs rules.

We either play two days, 100 overs each day, or a limited overs game.

Jungle Jumbo

Yeah, more a problem over there with games where you require 10 wickets contained within one day, played under non-limited overs rules.

We either play two days, 100 overs each day, or a limited overs game.
Plus bowling 25 overs straight isn't too difficult once you've built some stamina up and aren't looking to knock the batsman over every ball.

I remember my teacher at school (and cricket coach) telling me that Ray Illingworth (I think, could have been Underwood) was offered a professional contract with an English league club, he accepted - but only on the condition that he would be allowed to bowl no more than 15 overs per game, because if he was allowed to, the club would have no young spin bowlers within five years.

Obviously depends what level you're playing at though, these issues are at a level of cricket far below first grade.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Plus bowling 25 overs straight isn't too difficult once you've built some stamina up and aren't looking to knock the batsman over every ball.

I remember my teacher at school (and cricket coach) telling me that Ray Illingworth (I think, could have been Underwood) was offered a professional contract with an English league club, he accepted - but only on the condition that he would be allowed to bowl no more than 15 overs per game, because if he was allowed to, the club would have no young spin bowlers within five years.

Obviously depends what level you're playing at though, these issues are at a level of cricket far below first grade.
It's one reason why a lot of fast bowlers, and especially their clubs/teams/states, aren't keen on sending them over to club cricket in England at times. Or try to agree to such a limit.