• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best match winning innings you have seen?

gap2

Banned
Laxman's 281, vs Australia
It could probably be seen as a match saving innings but from this magnificent inning, Laxman (with the help of Dravid) did put us in a position where we had a chance to win the match and the rest was just history. Laxman's innings was characterized by his audacious wrist work and timing. Of course I was only about 7 at the time when the match was played and probably didn't appreciate how significant his innings really was, but it really was one of the greatest moments if not the greatest moment in world cricket in the eyes of an Indian.

So share some of the greatest match winning innings that you have been able to witness!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ooooo no.

Batsmen can't win matches they can only draw them blah blah ****ing blah. It's all about bowlers blah blah ****ing blah. Batsmen can only react to things blah blah ****ing blah.

Sorry mate, not slagging you at all and welcome aboard. I'm just innoculating you to the inevitable responses you'll get.

You will know them when you see them.

And fwiw, I agree with you - very hard to go past Laxman's innings. It was superb.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Lara at Bridgetwon in 99 vs Aus my fav innings ever:)

As for a match winning performace in any role hard to look past after Kamran Akmal at Sydney.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My personal favourite will always be Freddie's second innings knock at Edgbaston in 2005, I wouldn't call it the 'best' though, but it's the one that stands out for me :)

Overall Laxman's is indeed hard to go past. Lara's 153* (I think, cbf to look it up) against Australia must be up there as well.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Graham Gooch's remarkable 154* against the WIndies at Leeds in 1991

........... for which of course Goughy must take some credit :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lara's 153*

followed very very closely by Laxman's 281... Hard to split between them.. But I tend to put Lara higher simply because he did with Ambrose and Walsh while Laxman had Dravid.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Yes, Smith's was a good one for sure. But give me Sehwag over Smith from a spectator's point of view anyday.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Lara at Bridgetwon in 99 vs Aus my fav innings ever:)

As for a match winning performace in any role hard to look past after Kamran Akmal at Sydney.
:laugh:
After Laxman's knock, the best innings in my opinion is Kamran Akmal's innings in that test match at Pakistan where Pathan got a first over hattrick. Rescued Pakistan who were 39/6 at one stage and helped them post a decent first innings total which helped them win in the end.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from those mentioned (Lara 153*, Gooch 154*, Laxman), Botham at Leeds and Manchester in 1981. True, he had to rely on others to finish the job but so did both Gooch and Laxman.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Sachin Tendulka is now soely in the business of securing runs and maintaining stats for Sachin Tendulka, thus fending of the challenge from RT Ponting.

He would never open up his play enough to win a match for his team where he can register a not out and boost his average.