• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best match winning innings you have seen?

L Trumper

State Regular
Brian Lara 153*
He hardly had any support from others apart from adams and completed it with ambrose and walsh. This must be the best match winning innings. Funny match in a way because bowlers set up the win and a batsman win it, quite a reverse in trend.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sachin Tendulka is now soely in the business of securing runs and maintaining stats for Sachin Tendulka, thus fending of the challenge from RT Ponting.

He would never open up his play enough to win a match for his team where he can register a not out and boost his average.
England, chennai, 2008 etc.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Sorry but Tendla is a paradox in my eyes. I agree with Kapil Dev, he is both the best batsman I've ever seen in his prime but an underachiever in all but the stats accumilated.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sachin Tendulka is now soely in the business of securing runs and maintaining stats for Sachin Tendulka, thus fending of the challenge from RT Ponting.

He would never open up his play enough to win a match for his team where he can register a not out and boost his average.
yeah.. he cares about his stats, sure.. but never at the cost of his team. He is, apart from a lot of things, one of the best team players India have produced..

Sir Alex

Banned
yeah.. he cares about his stats, sure.. but never at the cost of his team. He is, apart from a lot of things, one of the best team players India have produced..
Wishe when a "slow" "selfish" innings from Tendulakr resulted in an Indian loss or robbed them of a win.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

You know what's awesome... saying outlandish stuff like that without any evidence.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
You know what's awesome... saying outlandish stuff like that without any evidence.
I watched the little man in the 90s and I have seen the way he has changed his game. Personally I would have preffered it if he had scored a few less runs but in a more attacking style. His strike rate was estimated in a Sambit article on cricino to be 53, way down on Ponting and Lara despite in my view he being a better player.

I just call it as I see it, whereas your avatar screams "cheerleader".

Sir Alex

Banned
I watched the little man in the 90s and I have seen the way he has changed his game. Personally I would have preffered it if he had scored a few less runs but in a more attacking style. His strike rate was estimated in a Sambit article on cricino to be 53, way down on Ponting and Lara despite in my view he being a better player.

Well since 2007, he is no.6 in terms of SR for batsmen who have scored more than 2000 runs with a SR of 57. Before the injury came to plague him, he had a SR close to 60. Between 2003-2006 he was plagued with injuries which lowered both his SR and avg.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Well since 2007, he is no.6 in terms of SR for batsmen who have scored more than 2000 runs with a SR of 57. Before the injury came to plague him, he had a SR close to 60. Between 2003-2006 he was plagued with injuries which lowered both his SR and avg.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com
He was a great player who is now a great accumilator. (IMO). The 175 in the ODI last November againt the Aussies being the SRT of old.

L Trumper

State Regular
Laxman's 281 was probably the best innings in the history of Test Cricket.
History of test cricket? it's not for sure.

On top of my head
Trumper's century before lunch on unplayable wicket;
hobbs and sutcliffe double act (in 1926 I guess);
Bradman's 270
Lara's 153 * and gooch's 154 are also better.

If we consider world series cricket
Sobers 254,
pollock and sobers double act
chappell against four horse man

Besides laxman's was a double act along with rahul not just a single innings.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
History of test cricket? it's not for sure.

On top of my head
Trumper's century before lunch on unplayable wicket;
hobbs and sutcliffe double act (in 1926 I guess);
Bradman's 270
Lara's 153 * and gooch's 154 are also better.

If we consider world series cricket
Sobers 254,
pollock and sobers double act
chappell against four horse man

Besides laxman's was a double act along with rahul not just a single innings.
You didn't see the two that I have made bold.

Laxman's was indeed wonderful. Flicks of the forearms to send seamers and spinners alike through extra-cover. It was a sight to behold.

L Trumper

State Regular
You didn't see the two that I have made bold.

Laxman's was indeed wonderful. Flicks of the forearms to send seamers and spinners alike through extra-cover. It was a sight to behold.
The post i quoted actually said laxman's was the best test innings. Thats why I replied that way.

Yeah I agree its beautiful innings and is best of this decade I agree. But it set up the match for bowlers to win it and dravid is a part in it. I am not taking anything away from that innings though if it ain't for lara's 153 i'd rate laxman's the best innings i've seen considering he is such a treat to watch.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Haha righto.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Lara 153§
Gooch 154§
Bradman 270 on teh sticky wicky.
Btw mods Sir Alex = Precamtroll?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ooooo no.

Batsmen can't win matches they can only draw them blah blah ****ing blah. It's all about bowlers blah blah ****ing blah. Batsmen can only react to things blah blah ****ing blah.
Good spot in the 2nd post of the thread.

The closest a batsman can come to winning a match is by playing a pivotal innings in a fourth-innings run-chase, or maybe in a third-innings chase-setter which gives his bowlers a task they have negligable chance of failing in.

Gooch's 154* would be the best example I can think of the latter; sure many can think of some of the former without resorting to Lara's 153*.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's one of Gilchrist's against Pakistan, back in one of his first matches.
His sophomore match in fact.

Unfortunately for him, it's rather like Dravid's 180 at Eden Gardens a year later - that was overshadowed by Laxman's 281, Gilchrist's was overshadowed by Langer's 226(?)*.

I won't mention how Langer probably only got the chance to make that knock because the home Umpire knew he'd mistakenly given him out lbw in the first-innings and "reversed" this mistake early in the second-.

Shri

Mr. Glass
@post 38

You said something similar in the match saving innings thread iirc. So the batsmen are total muppets in the first two innings of a test?