• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best No.3 Test Batsman(Dravid or Amla or Ponting)

gap2

Banned
Kindly guys help me i wanted to know who is the greatest of which i opened this topic

Almost each and every team has stable player with them ,who is the fabulous person all lie in your hands

Over to you

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
if you are talking about Best test no.3, I really think its unfair to pit Amla with Ponting and Dravid.. He hasnt played or scored enough runs..

There was a time when I used to ask everyone if they had to pick a number 3 batsman and had the options - Ponting, Dravid and Kallis, who would they pick..
Not surprisingly, most people picked Ponting as this was around 2005..and Ponting was on a role then..

To be honest..I am not sure myself..I love both Dravid and Kallis..and Kallis is a personal favourite..so cant decide between the two.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Amla's beard could be so epic in 10 years if he just lets it go.

Do it Hashim!

ret

International Debutant
isn't the best the guy the one who scored the most in his last inning? :p

Ponting 89
Dravid 111*
Amla 253*

(otherwise I don't see much point in having Amla with Dravid and Ponting at this point)

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular
To chose between these three I'd go with ponting mainly because I prefer instinctively attacking batsmen.
Amla didn't do anything of significant so far, more or less he plays as secon fiddle for kallis/smith. May be in couple of years he might become a world beater wait and see.
And while comparing current no:3 s why the hell everyone ignoring sanga isn't he a number 3 ?

As far as the best no 3 ever considered DON simply owned that slot.

AaronK

State Regular
All time..Sir Viv

current.. Sangakara/ Kallis (I still think that Kallis should play at number 3).

isn't the best the guy the one who scored the most in his last inning? :p

Ponting 89
Dravid 111*
Amla 253*

(otherwise I don't see much point in having Amla with Dravid and Ponting at this point)
Dravid and Alma have falsley inflated their scores with not outs,

dikinee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Averages of those players when batting at No3.

Ponting - 60.34

Dravid - 55.71

Amla - 49.82

Amla has a long way to go before being mentioned in the same class as Ponting or Dravid

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Its so unfair to compare Amla with these two greats, these guys have 15-16 year old careers behind him, while Amla only has 3-4 years, Amla has definatly done better then these two in the last two years though, his average is over 55

Last edited: