• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best No.3 Test Batsman(Dravid or Amla or Ponting)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Actually Sanga's and Sarwan are probably unlucky not to be included here last two years:
Ponting 1160 @ 46.40
Sanga 1069 @ 59.38
Dravid 854 @ 85.40
Sarwan 742 @ 61.83
Amla 678 @ 56.50
Younis 444 @ 63.42
Bopara 356 @ 39.55

The Mud number 3's beings
Flynn
Shah
Trott
Faisal
Bell

All of which are going worse than Bangladesh's Sidique who averages 29.14 in that period

dikinee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
All time best No3 is a total no contest, Bradman avg 103 in that position.
Probably my all time favorite No3 would have to be GS Chappell. Statistically there were better but probably the most elegant and technically correct batsman I`ve seen

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably my all time favorite No3 would have to be GS Chappell. Statistically there were better but probably the most elegant and technically correct batsman I`ve seen
A wonderful player to watch, for sure – though he was much more a no.4 than a no.3 for most of his career wasn’t he?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid and Alma have falsley inflated their scores with not outs,
Haha what? Are you taking the piss? I really hope you are.

Ponting is clearly better than them both, but how do you inflate YOUR SCORE? It's one score!

Last edited:

dikinee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
A wonderful player to watch, for sure – though he was much more a no.4 than a no.3 for most of his career wasn’t he?
Yeah for sure, he batted at 4 for the majority of his career but from memory I think he played about 30 tests at No3.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Haha what? Are you taking the piss? I really hope you are.

Ponting is clearly better than them both, but how do you inflate YOUR SCORE? It's one score!
Pretty sure he is taking the piss.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Here are the No 3 batsmen since 01-01-1990. (Qualification 20 innings)

Lara 60.46, Ponting 60.33, Sanga 58.11 and Dravid 55.71

This will clear the doubts that Lara was the best, despite this sample only has his early matches.

Lara, ponting, Sanga and Dravid would be the order.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Lara was primarily a #4. And I fail to see how that clears any doubts. Ponting has played more than twice as much at #3 and averages only 0.13 runs less per innings.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara was primarily a #4. And I fail to see how that clears any doubts. Ponting has played more than twice as much at #3 and averages only 0.13 runs less per innings.
Still he beat all of them batting in his "non customary" position. The number of innigs tells nothing much keeping to your argument on "Best bowler of the decade" where you said "more wickets means bowled more, and what counts is SR, Avg and ER". I'll use the same logic and say "More matches means batted more, what counts is the Average"

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I still think Kallis is the best pick for a number 3 position.......next for me is Ponting....

Sir Alex

Banned
Here are the No 3 batsmen since 01-01-1990. (Qualification 20 innings)

Lara 60.46, Ponting 60.33, Sanga 58.11 and Dravid 55.71

This will clear the doubts that Lara was the best, despite this sample only has his early matches.

Lara, ponting, Sanga and Dravid would be the order.
Not really,

Lara has played about 45% of innings as Ponting and yet has only 25-28% of 100s and 50s as Ponting. His average is hugely inflated by his 375 and 400, epic innings both no doubt but has the ability to pump up avgs when the sample size is relatively less.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Still he beat all of them batting in his "non customary" position. The number of innigs tells nothing much keeping to your argument on "Best bowler of the decade" where you said "more wickets means bowled more, and what counts is SR, Avg and ER". I'll use the same logic and say "More matches means batted more, what counts is the Average"
Nah, not always. You should quote me in context, IIRC the above refers to Murali - where he bowls so much more than other bowlers and hence will/is likely to take more wickets per match than others as a result.

If Batsman A has scored 7000 runs at 50.10 and Batsman B has scored 2000 runs at 50.15, other things being equal, it's fairly easy to say who is the more accomplished batsman. The minute difference in average is not enough to bridge the gulf between their records. If you're going to use my logic at least do it justice.

Last edited: