Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricketers playing major league baseball

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Cricketers playing major league baseball

I would like to see some cricketers offered a 1 year contract with any major league team, and see how well they do and could they adapt.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    A lot of the skills are transferable, but it's highly unlikely that even the best cricketers could quickly adapt to baseball well enough to play in MLB. A minor league contract, probably, but not the majors.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The average athleticism is much higher in the MLB. Some might make the transition, but I highly doubt any would make the major leagues. Things like fielding, throwing, etc are light years ahead in baseball.
    And batting and pitching is too different to be directly transferrable.

Same thing would happen the other way of course, but any major league baseball team would very quickly become the best fielding team in international cricket (after some practice bare handed).
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The average athleticism is much higher in the MLB. Some might make the transition, but I highly doubt any would make the major leagues. Things like fielding, throwing, etc are light years ahead in baseball.
    And batting and pitching is too different to be directly transferrable.

Same thing would happen the other way of course, but any major league baseball team would very quickly become the best fielding team in international cricket (after some practice bare handed).
    Disagree on the athleticism and the fielding. The throwing is for sure better through.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Disagree on the athleticism and the fielding. The throwing is for sure better through.
    While I wouldn't say there's a huge gap in class, there's certainly a lot more well-rounded athleticism in the average starting 8 of a MLB team than there is in the average international cricket XI. Well-rounded in terms of ground coverage, hand-eye coordination and diving.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I'm surprised that anyone would disagree with SS' statement. Even if you remove the worst sides like Pakistan from the equation, the "average" baseball player is far more athletic and a better fielder than the average cricketer. If you were to include Pakistan/Bangladesh and the likes, there is no comparison at all.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Yeah tough to disagree with that.

Having played both I have to say, admitting that a comparison is silly, I found it easier to pick up on batting in baseball versus cricket. Possibly due to the margin of error being much greater in the former for batters. Of course its the complete opposite when it comes to pitchers vs bowlers.
    RIP Craigos

If you've faced a decent standard of pitching, I actually think the margin of error is quite slim. Doing anything significant with a 90mph moving ball is a lot easier said than done. And it's not even easily said. Of course, to have an actual career with the bat in baseball, you have to be able to. Also, unlike cricket, you have to run if you do manage to get the ball in play, which adds pressure to where you put the ball.

Pitching is a whole other kettle of fish, and it's amazing what even mediocre pitchers can do in terms of variation through the air. Not saying it's more difficult than bowling, but I certainly don't think it's any easier, aside from the stamina demanded.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slippy View Post
    I would like to see some cricketers offered a 1 year contract with any major league team, and see how well they do and could they adapt.
    I wouldn't. A top-class cricketer would do best to use his talent playing cricket. It'd be a waste to play baseball instead.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I wouldn't. A top-class cricketer would do best to use his talent playing cricket. It'd be a waste to play baseball instead.
    Because they're different sports, of course, not because baseball is inferior.

Well it's one I prefer infinitely less and thus don't watch, at all, so I'm not well-placed to comment on whether one is inferior or superior.

I'd guess it'd be fair to say that there's some respects in which each are superior and respetively inferior to one-another.

But yes, they're certainly poles apart.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Wouldn't it take more than a year to gain the full benefits of the steroids?
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

I'm sure there are a fair few cricketers with a head start.

|
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    ooooooooooo thems a fightin' words
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    OOOOOOOOO now thems a fightin words!!!

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Bloody hell Rich - if you can pluck from obscurity a post made by a banned member more than five years ago then you're a very sad man indeed and/or ideally suited to a career in the law

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information