• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers playing major league baseball

slippy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would like to see some cricketers offered a 1 year contract with any major league team, and see how well they do and could they adapt.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A lot of the skills are transferable, but it's highly unlikely that even the best cricketers could quickly adapt to baseball well enough to play in MLB. A minor league contract, probably, but not the majors.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The average athleticism is much higher in the MLB. Some might make the transition, but I highly doubt any would make the major leagues. Things like fielding, throwing, etc are light years ahead in baseball.
And batting and pitching is too different to be directly transferrable.

Same thing would happen the other way of course, but any major league baseball team would very quickly become the best fielding team in international cricket (after some practice bare handed).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The average athleticism is much higher in the MLB. Some might make the transition, but I highly doubt any would make the major leagues. Things like fielding, throwing, etc are light years ahead in baseball.
And batting and pitching is too different to be directly transferrable.

Same thing would happen the other way of course, but any major league baseball team would very quickly become the best fielding team in international cricket (after some practice bare handed).
Disagree on the athleticism and the fielding. The throwing is for sure better through.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Disagree on the athleticism and the fielding. The throwing is for sure better through.
While I wouldn't say there's a huge gap in class, there's certainly a lot more well-rounded athleticism in the average starting 8 of a MLB team than there is in the average international cricket XI. Well-rounded in terms of ground coverage, hand-eye coordination and diving.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm surprised that anyone would disagree with SS' statement. Even if you remove the worst sides like Pakistan from the equation, the "average" baseball player is far more athletic and a better fielder than the average cricketer. If you were to include Pakistan/Bangladesh and the likes, there is no comparison at all.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah tough to disagree with that.

Having played both I have to say, admitting that a comparison is silly, I found it easier to pick up on batting in baseball versus cricket. Possibly due to the margin of error being much greater in the former for batters. Of course its the complete opposite when it comes to pitchers vs bowlers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

If you've faced a decent standard of pitching, I actually think the margin of error is quite slim. Doing anything significant with a 90mph moving ball is a lot easier said than done. And it's not even easily said. Of course, to have an actual career with the bat in baseball, you have to be able to. Also, unlike cricket, you have to run if you do manage to get the ball in play, which adds pressure to where you put the ball.

Pitching is a whole other kettle of fish, and it's amazing what even mediocre pitchers can do in terms of variation through the air. Not saying it's more difficult than bowling, but I certainly don't think it's any easier, aside from the stamina demanded.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would like to see some cricketers offered a 1 year contract with any major league team, and see how well they do and could they adapt.
I wouldn't. A top-class cricketer would do best to use his talent playing cricket. It'd be a waste to play baseball instead.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it's one I prefer infinitely less and thus don't watch, at all, so I'm not well-placed to comment on whether one is inferior or superior.

I'd guess it'd be fair to say that there's some respects in which each are superior and respetively inferior to one-another.

But yes, they're certainly poles apart.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:-O Bloody hell Rich - if you can pluck from obscurity a post made by a banned member more than five years ago then you're a very sad man indeed and/or ideally suited to a career in the law

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
:-O Bloody hell Rich - if you can pluck from obscurity a post made by a banned member more than five years ago then you're a very sad man indeed and/or ideally suited to a career in the law
When asked for a legal authority on whether or not a mortgage transaction is valid I'll cite Murphy in the future. Thanks for the pointer.

In relation to the thread, was Gilchrist's name not thrown around a few years back regarding a chance for him to play baseball in some professional context? Not really sure how serious the suggestion was, but I'm fairly certain I heard someone on channel 4 raise the question.

Indipper

State Regular
Or administration. It was a thread directed against him though, maybe he has all those filed neatly for future reference.

Oh yes, baseball. Always found crossing codes a bit lame.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Non est factum is always worth a try in that context

On the point did Ed Smith not play baseball one winter?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm very sad if October 2006 is now over 5 years ago. :down: But that thread is somewhat memorable, for obvious reasons.

Anyway you've yet to fully experience my knowledge of the annuals of CW - often can I pluck-up quotes from long-lost and forgotten posts.

fredfertang

I'm very sad if October 2006 is now over 5 years ago. :down: But that thread is somewhat memorable, for obvious reasons.

Anyway you've yet to fully experience my knowledge of the annuals of CW - often can I pluck-up quotes from long-lost and forgotten posts.
31-12-04 according to my browser