• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cheering the Opposition

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Just reminded myself of something when I made a post on India's tour of England in the summer of 2007. It's not often I cheer the oppoistion in any cirumstances, but I can think of one significant time I did it in this tour:

- I was on my hols in Tenerife with the missus, and got talking to another Lancastrian who happend to be a cricket fan also. I mentioned the match that was taking place between England and India at Trent Bridge I think it was. He told me their was an Irish pub down the road that had Sky Sports so we went and caught India's superb batting performance in which all but 1 (Wasim Jaffer) of the top 8 scored a half century and Kumble made 110, his first century in 118 tests and 17 years. Even as a (drunk by this time) England fan I wanted him to make the 100 when he got to the 75 mark and cheered robustly when he made a century.

Goes to show that cricket can unite people from opposing sides in a way in which football (my other favourite sport) rarely does.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
People who watched him said that Vivian Richards' batting transcended nationality. Often, people say, you could forget that he was savaging your own bowlers and just revel in the uniqueness of it all. That's probably why he's able to inspire such fierce loyalty in his devotees, many of whom think he was the second-best batsman in history.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if you look back at the *Official* New Zealand in England thread and go through posts towards the end of the Third ODI (the one where Elliott was run-out after colliding with Sidebottom) you'll see several England fans making posts along the lines of "I hope NZ win this".

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I'd love seeing England make 350 if it meant that Pietersen got 250+ of them. Watching England bat for long periods of time when Pietersen fails is rather boring.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also it's more the other way around (turning on your own rather than cheering for the oppo), but when Brett Lee almost killed Alex Tudor in 2002/03, Tudor retired hurt and Harmison came to the wicket, Lee bowled another short one first-up and was bood by his own fans.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think sometimes, as a cricket fan, one has to doff the cap to the oppo. We suffered more than any other team at the hands, fingers and wrist of the tubby St Kilda-supporting genius that was SK Warne, but when he turned a ball (literally) two feet to avoid bat, pad and every other defence to clip the top of off you'd be missing something pretty fundamental not too appreciate it.

Similarly with the little genius that was Brian Charles Lara; I was always initially delighted we he was dismissed because his wicket was so crucial, but there was also a frisson of disappointment in being denied watching a master in action.

Funnily enough, I don't know of too many English players during my time that stir the senses in quite the same way. KP is one, maybe Simon Jones when the force was with him, Gough at a stretch, but after those...?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For example, right now, I'm not cheering for SA, but I'm rooting for Kallis to get his double but also for India to win.

I almost never hope for India to lose, no matter the opposition, but I do sometimes root for one or two opposition players. I'd guess it's the same thing as other people are saying here. I'd never rooted for an opposition team to win over India......unless they play America. :p

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have always despised the British cap doffing respect of opponents and fawning over them like it is a beauty contest.

I loved watching Warne bowl but I wanted him to fail when he played England and the idea of Kumble getting a ton is embarassing.

There maybe a moment in a game outside of the context of winning or losing where an opposition player can be applauded but never cheered for.

I have never wanted to see an opposition player do well and I have always found the British habit of fawning over foreign players a little cringe worthy.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't remember what happened in the tour thread, but here's a question for the Aussie posters...

Did you cheer/support Brendan Nash in the recent series? This is a genuine question, not meaning to incite anything, or imply that you should've. Just curious as to the Aussie perspective toward him.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I cheer the opposition in pretty much every single match Pakistan plays. I've never loved Australia more in recent times :ph34r:

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Also it's more the other way around (turning on your own rather than cheering for the oppo), but when Brett Lee almost killed Alex Tudor in 2002/03, Tudor retired hurt and Harmison came to the wicket, Lee bowled another short one first-up and was bood by his own fans.
Lee was nasty. I actually believed at the time that he aimed that neck-high yorker at Trescothic in 2005.

I don't like seeing any player get hit, but part of me thought "he deserves it" when I saw that Fidel Edwards (a genuine 90mph merchant in full flow) stuck Lee in the jaw on youtube.

The Tudor incident was horrible!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have always despised the British cap doffing respect of opponents and fawning over them like it is a beauty contest.

I loved watching Warne bowl but I wanted him to fail when he played England and the idea of Kumble getting a ton is embarassing.

There maybe a moment in a game outside of the context of winning or losing where an opposition player can be applauded but never cheered for.

I have never wanted to see an opposition player do well and I have always found the British habit of fawning over foreign players a little cringe worthy.
It's not wanting to see them do well, it's rather appreciating a master at work when they do.

I'm as patriotic a pom as the next man, but not so chauvinistic as to be blinded by a player's nationality. As an Englishman I hated (say) Ambrose dismantling our top order at Queens Park or McGrath doing likewise at Lords, but as a cricket fan I had to admire the performances.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not wanting to see them do well, it's rather appreciating a master at work when they do.

I'm as patriotic a pom as the next man, but not so chauvinistic as to be blinded by a player's nationality. As an Englishman I hated (say) Ambrose dismantling our top order at Queens Park or McGrath doing likewise at Lords, but as a cricket fan I had to admire the performances.
I feel the same in general, but I could never warm to McGrath while he was playing. I love the guy now that he's retired, but he was so unlikeable on the pitch. Probably a bit biased because he particularly dickish toward West Indies.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I cheered the Kumble century for 2 reasons-

1. India had destroyed us anyway. They declared with 3 wickets to spare on about 650 and an extra 20 runs from Kumble would not make any difference. they would have only been picked up by the last 3 if India had really wanted them.

2. Kumble was a good professional, a good role model who made the most of very limited talent with the bat to average 18, and overcame the odds with the ball to develop his own medium pace/wrist spin hybrid style.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Whenever Michael Clarke comes out to bat in a Twenty20 match for Australia. :laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
I don't remember what happened in the tour thread, but here's a question for the Aussie posters...

Did you cheer/support Brendan Nash in the recent series? This is a genuine question, not meaning to incite anything, or imply that you should've. Just curious as to the Aussie perspective toward him.
Nah, was too worried we'd lose to actively support a member of those other side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You seriously thought there was a serious chance of Australia losing a three-match series at home to West Indies in 2009/10?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sometimes i would cheer, sometimes i wont. It all depends on the circumstances of the opposition players performance for me.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You seriously thought there was a serious chance of Australia losing a three-match series at home to West Indies in 2009/10?
WI played well enough (although some could argue AUS played below par) to win the 2nd & 3rd tests.