• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Tait break Akhtars world record?

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I seriously feel if you were to ask the Tendulkar's, Sehwags, Pontings, Langers and Kallis of who was easily the quickest bowler they ever faced or saw, I am confident almost all of them would point towards Akhtar, not Lee or Tait. I dont know whether its swing, his action or his intimidating run up, but at his quickest Akhtar seemed the most dangerous of the quickies of his generation.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I seriously feel if you were to ask the Tendulkar's, Sehwags, Pontings, Langers and Kallis of who was easily the quickest bowler they ever faced or saw, I am confident almost all of them would point towards Akhtar, not Lee or Tait..
Big claim to put words in the mouth of a lot of people. Im not saying you are wrong but Id never be so presumptuous.

Out of interest, this is a quote from Tendulkar
"The quickest ball I faced was from Ambrose in Jamaica... luckily it was a bouncer and it went one foot over my head and I was safe "

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Big claim to put words in the mouth of a lot of people. Im not saying you are wrong but Id never be so presumptuous.

"The quickest ball I faced was from Ambrose in Jamaica... luckily it was a bouncer and it went one foot over my head and I was safe "
Not putting words in their mouth, just saying im quite confident what most of their responses would be. Well I know Lara pointed towards Mohammad Zahid as the quickest hes ever faced, he couldn't put bat to ball against him for 5 straight balls and then lost his wicket on the 6th. Ambrose was very quick but I wouldn't say as quick as Lee/Akhtar etc. Maybe it was the bitter rivalry between Tendulkar and Akhtar that prompted very little praise for Akhtar by Tendulkar. Tendulkar seemed to have a lot more good things to say about Lee's bowling.

YouTube - Shoaib Akhtar v Ricky Ponting (" Fastest Over Ever Bowled " - Langer)

daghetto

Cricket Spectator
Brian lara said that Mohammad Zahid of Pakistan was the fastest bowler he ever faced. Akhtar even says that Mohammad Zahid was considerably faster than him,and in his opinion the fastest bowler in the world. too bad the PCB messed his career up as they do to so many pak players

archie mac

International Coach
My memory goes back to the 70s, and a couple of spells from Akhtar were as fast as I have ever watched, Thommo and Holding included:)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with this. Ishant was clocked at above 150 kmph, which he has never touched since.
I remember that. but i honestly think that was speed gun glich just like in the 2004 IND vs PAK series when i saw Sami clocked at over 160 to a delivery to Ganguly.

Speed guns in AUS are fairly accurate i'd say. Tait has clocked 160 in AUS twice now, so i'd say its by no means inflated.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I agree with this. Ishant was clocked at above 150 kmph, which he has never touched since.
In all fairness, in that spell Ishant was rushing the batsman and looked to be a handful. Ishant was very quick during that ODI series, but he obviously toned down a bit after that because of his slender build. The ball that was clocked 150kph was very much legitimate.

thierry henry

International Coach

tbh I was under the impression that Ambrose was a Glenn McGrath-type bowler, maybe 140s at best and that's about it?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mohammad Zahid was not MUCH quicker, also Mohammad Akram was DEFINITELY not quicker than Akhtar.
I have seen only one bowler beating de Silva for pace. Marshall, Ambrose or Walsh did not do it in de Silva's youth. Donald, Waqar and Schultz at their pomp didn't manage it. Akthar and Lee bowling at 160k to a 35yr old de Silva was not too quick for him. But Mohammed AKram at Sialkot in early 1990s did it. That convinced me that Mohammed Akram was very quick.

And of course, that over to Lara from Zahid is well documented.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Never saw Zahid, so wont comment on him. But i saw Akram & thats impossible.
I think you have seen Akram after the back injury. A bowler who could split open a thigh pad (against Chandika Haturusinghe at Sialkot) is having serious pace.

Zahid played 1992 WC series, and he managed to keep all the West Indians' eyes wide open. They did not see anything quick as that since Thompson.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh I was under the impression that Ambrose was a Glenn McGrath-type bowler, maybe 140s at best and that's about it?
Mid-90's was when he started to slow a bit but before that, was rapid enough. Don't recall him ever being quicker than Bish, though.

That's the thing, though; enough top players have said once a bloke is up past 145Km/h, it's all just 'quick'.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In the first part of his career he was genuinely quick and (I'd guess) comfortably able to exceed 90mph (145 kmh), particularly when his tail was up.