Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Englands best African born cricketer

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    He hit Warne for like 6-7 sixes during his knock of 158 at the Oval, 2005. If that ain't domination then I don't know what is. He hit McGrath into the 2nd tier of Lords on debut and was hitting him on the up through square off a good length throughout 2005 and 2006/07. He basically got the better of McGrath from my recollections.

Only batsman to have averaged over 50 at home and away against McGrath and Warne.
    Stiff ****. It's one ****ing knock. And if you measure greatness by sixes hit, then Bradman's a nuffy and Chris Cairns is the second greatest batsman of all time.

He played them 5 times at home and 5 times away. Zippedee Doo Dah Day. McGrath was injured for half of 05, and he and Warne were in their dotage in 06-07. Remember? It was the same series when McGrath, the guy Pietersen "dominated" and who was nowhere near the bowler he'd once been, broke Pietersen's ribs. I'm sure Kev remembers it quite vividly...
    Last edited by Burgey; 08-02-2010 at 05:54 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Stiff ****. It's one ****ing knock. And if you measure greatness by sixes hit, then Bradman's a nuffy and Chris Cairns is the second greatest batsman of all time.

He played them 5 times at home and 5 times away. Zippedee Doo Dah Day. McGrath was injured for half of 05, and he and Warne were in their dotage in 06-07. Remember? It was the same series when McGrath, the guy Pietersen "dominated" and who was nowhere near the bowler he'd once been, broke Pietersen's ribs. I'm sure Kev remembers it quite vividly...
    Yeah, he played 5 times at home, 5 times away. Not many more players have played more against the Warne & McGrath combination then Pietersen. Greatness isn't measured on sixes, but when you talk about "bossing them around Test grounds", don't you think getting hit for that many sixes would be "bossing them around"? One innings? Try Lords 2005 and Brisbane 2006, Adelaide 2006 aswell.

McGrath was injured during the 2005 Ashes, but in the matches he was fit, Pietersen scored runs against him, notably the first Test and Fifth Test. Saying that Warne and McGrath were past it is a pretty sore excuse, considering that 2005 was one of Warne's most productive series' and that McGrath won Player of the Tournament in the 2007 World Cup.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I don't know about 'dominated' but he does average over 50 against Australia and I think his average goes up if you take out the Tests where both of them didn't play (i.e. Edgbaston, Trent Bridge 05, and the first two from 09_
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

KP did well against mcgrath than most of the others. In ashes 05 mcgrath was fit in the first and final tests and KP did great on both occasions. Ashes 06/07 Mcgrath past his best is bull ****, he is the bowler of the WC, 3 months later. Warne had one of the best series in his life during 05 and still damn good in 06/07 (Adelaide , Melbourne).

Look below Brian lara is the only one who did better against AUS team with macgrath in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by L Trumper; 08-02-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_roc View Post
    Pietersen was world ranked No 1 for a short time in 2005
    No he wasn't, Pietersen only begun his career in 2005.

I couldn't really give a damn about player ratings because they merely show who's most in-form rather than best, but it's as good as impossible for a player to go to the top of them when they've only played 5 or 8 Test matches.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    McGrath was injured for half of 05, and he and Warne were in their dotage in 06-07. Remember? It was the same series when McGrath, the guy Pietersen "dominated" and who was nowhere near the bowler he'd once been, broke Pietersen's ribs. I'm sure Kev remembers it quite vividly...
    FTR it wasn't - was the same season but it was actually a different series, because the ODIs were in the CB Series and only the Tests were in The Ashes.

FTR, do agree with you that an accurate description of Pietersen's play against Australia in 2005 and 2006/07 would be "damn well" rather than "dominating".

Has Prior thrown his hat into the ring now, one wonders?

World #1 keeper/batsman currently beyond any serious debate and not embarrassed when considered alongside the Knotts and Ameses of the world as a whole package.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

yeah but all the other keeper batsmen suck
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Still behind KP and Greig imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

World #1 keeper/batsman currently beyond any serious debate and not embarrassed when considered alongside the Knotts and Ameses of the world as a whole package.
    Good shout, best in the world at what he does, which I don't think any other's can say. Must be considered for an all-time XI too.

He gets my vote.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Yeah hard to go past Greigy. Amazing stats and imposing personality.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Still think its Greigy, but time yet for KP, Prior or even Trott to change my mind

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

Actually as stated in other threads, it is debatable between Prior & AB. Prior is good though, and AB doesn't play for England so I'll give you that :P
    Last edited by KungFu_Kallis; 16-04-2013 at 05:47 PM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I'd say Greig, Prior then KP as my top 3. Feel dirty leaving my favourite player Robin Smith out but the others were/are better.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Actually as stated in other threads, it is debatable between Prior & AB. Prior is good though, and AB doesn't play for England so I'll give you that :P
    I see ABCDeV as a batsman who happens to keep currently whereas Matty's a proper keeper, myself.

Think de Villiers's back (which one understands has a chronic injury that will always need managing) will mitigate against him keeping long term. de Kock will take over in the next 18 months IMHO.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information