• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands best African born cricketer

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Pietersen was world ranked No 1 for a short time in 2005 and has been drifting down the ratings ever since. That doesn't stand comparison with the likes of Ponting and Kallis.

If you're rating him on on the basis of a 5 match series in 2005 then you need to cast your net a bit wider.
South Africa 2004/05, Ashes 2005, Sri Lanka 2006, Ashes 2006/07 and South Africa 2008. All of those series' are examples of Pietersen's greatness. At one time or another, Pietersen has dominated McGrath, Warne, Muralitharan, Steyn and Pollock, who are the best bowlers of the past decade. It's what seperates him from the majority who average 50+ in Test Cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa 2004/05, Ashes 2005, Sri Lanka 2006, Ashes 2006/07 and South Africa 2008. All of those series' are examples of Pietersen's greatness. At one time or another, Pietersen has dominated McGrath, Warne, Muralitharan, Steyn and Pollock, who are the best bowlers of the past decade. It's what seperates him from the majority who average 50+ in Test Cricket.
200% on point here sir.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bollocks. Pietersen didn't dominate McGrath and/ or Warne. If the prerequisite is to play an occasional fine hand against them then Mark ****ing Butcher dominated them too.

He played bloody well against them, don't get me wrong, but he didn't boss them about the test grounds of the world like you're suggesting he did.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Bollocks. Pietersen didn't dominate McGrath and/ or Warne. If the prerequisite is to play an occasional fine hand against them then Mark ****ing Butcher dominated them too.

He played bloody well against them, don't get me wrong, but he didn't boss them about the test grounds of the world like you're suggesting he did.
He hit Warne for like 6-7 sixes during his knock of 158 at the Oval, 2005. If that ain't domination then I don't know what is. He hit McGrath into the 2nd tier of Lords on debut and was hitting him on the up through square off a good length throughout 2005 and 2006/07. He basically got the better of McGrath from my recollections.

Only batsman to have averaged over 50 at home and away against McGrath and Warne.

Burgey

He hit Warne for like 6-7 sixes during his knock of 158 at the Oval, 2005. If that ain't domination then I don't know what is. He hit McGrath into the 2nd tier of Lords on debut and was hitting him on the up through square off a good length throughout 2005 and 2006/07. He basically got the better of McGrath from my recollections.

Only batsman to have averaged over 50 at home and away against McGrath and Warne.
Stiff ****. It's one ****ing knock. And if you measure greatness by sixes hit, then Bradman's a nuffy and Chris Cairns is the second greatest batsman of all time.

He played them 5 times at home and 5 times away. Zippedee Doo Dah Day. McGrath was injured for half of 05, and he and Warne were in their dotage in 06-07. Remember? It was the same series when McGrath, the guy Pietersen "dominated" and who was nowhere near the bowler he'd once been, broke Pietersen's ribs. I'm sure Kev remembers it quite vividly...

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Stiff ****. It's one ****ing knock. And if you measure greatness by sixes hit, then Bradman's a nuffy and Chris Cairns is the second greatest batsman of all time.

He played them 5 times at home and 5 times away. Zippedee Doo Dah Day. McGrath was injured for half of 05, and he and Warne were in their dotage in 06-07. Remember? It was the same series when McGrath, the guy Pietersen "dominated" and who was nowhere near the bowler he'd once been, broke Pietersen's ribs. I'm sure Kev remembers it quite vividly...
Yeah, he played 5 times at home, 5 times away. Not many more players have played more against the Warne & McGrath combination then Pietersen. Greatness isn't measured on sixes, but when you talk about "bossing them around Test grounds", don't you think getting hit for that many sixes would be "bossing them around"? One innings? Try Lords 2005 and Brisbane 2006, Adelaide 2006 aswell.

McGrath was injured during the 2005 Ashes, but in the matches he was fit, Pietersen scored runs against him, notably the first Test and Fifth Test. Saying that Warne and McGrath were past it is a pretty sore excuse, considering that 2005 was one of Warne's most productive series' and that McGrath won Player of the Tournament in the 2007 World Cup.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't know about 'dominated' but he does average over 50 against Australia and I think his average goes up if you take out the Tests where both of them didn't play (i.e. Edgbaston, Trent Bridge 05, and the first two from 09_

L Trumper

State Regular

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

KP did well against mcgrath than most of the others. In ashes 05 mcgrath was fit in the first and final tests and KP did great on both occasions. Ashes 06/07 Mcgrath past his best is bull ****, he is the bowler of the WC, 3 months later. Warne had one of the best series in his life during 05 and still damn good in 06/07 (Adelaide , Melbourne).

Look below Brian lara is the only one who did better against AUS team with macgrath in it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pietersen was world ranked No 1 for a short time in 2005
:huh: No he wasn't, Pietersen only begun his career in 2005.

I couldn't really give a damn about player ratings because they merely show who's most in-form rather than best, but it's as good as impossible for a player to go to the top of them when they've only played 5 or 8 Test matches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
McGrath was injured for half of 05, and he and Warne were in their dotage in 06-07. Remember? It was the same series when McGrath, the guy Pietersen "dominated" and who was nowhere near the bowler he'd once been, broke Pietersen's ribs. I'm sure Kev remembers it quite vividly...
FTR it wasn't - was the same season but it was actually a different series, because the ODIs were in the CB Series and only the Tests were in The Ashes. :ph34r:

FTR, do agree with you that an accurate description of Pietersen's play against Australia in 2005 and 2006/07 would be "damn well" rather than "dominating".

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has Prior thrown his hat into the ring now, one wonders?

World #1 keeper/batsman currently beyond any serious debate and not embarrassed when considered alongside the Knotts and Ameses of the world as a whole package.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

World #1 keeper/batsman currently beyond any serious debate and not embarrassed when considered alongside the Knotts and Ameses of the world as a whole package.
Good shout, best in the world at what he does, which I don't think any other's can say. Must be considered for an all-time XI too.

He gets my vote.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man

Actually as stated in other threads, it is debatable between Prior & AB. Prior is good though, and AB doesn't play for England so I'll give you that :P

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

I'd say Greig, Prior then KP as my top 3. Feel dirty leaving my favourite player Robin Smith out but the others were/are better.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually as stated in other threads, it is debatable between Prior & AB. Prior is good though, and AB doesn't play for England so I'll give you that :P
I see ABCDeV as a batsman who happens to keep currently whereas Matty's a proper keeper, myself.

Think de Villiers's back (which one understands has a chronic injury that will always need managing) will mitigate against him keeping long term. de Kock will take over in the next 18 months IMHO.