Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Englands best African born cricketer

Cant ignore Hick, surely?

What he had done domestically is worth a slot IMO
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

Suppose you could ditch Chris Smith and move his brother up to open, which I think he did once or twice.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

IGNORE: born in india I see.
    Last edited by grecian; 06-02-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    An African-born XI?

1) Strauss*
    2) CL Smith
    3) RA Smith
    4) Pietersen
    5) Lamb
    6) D'Oliveria
    7) AW Greig
    8) Prior+
    9) Pringle
    10) Edmonds
    11) Radford

Bowling's a bit light, but bats a long way down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

Of that lot, I wonder how many were genuinly African-raised and how many were Brits who happened to be born in Africa.

Off the top of my head there's the Smiths, Lamb, D'Oliveira, Greig, Pietersen, Radford and Hick; then Strauss, Prior, Pringle and Edmunds. Not sure about the lattermost though.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Without Tony Greig what might have become of England in 1974/75 doesn't bear thinking about - for me KP still has a bit to do to get past him - I'd put KP just ahead of Alan Lamb and level with Robin Smith
    This
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Without Tony Greig what might have become of England in 1974/75 doesn't bear thinking about - for me KP still has a bit to do to get past him - I'd put KP just ahead of Alan Lamb and level with Robin Smith
    Out of the current lot, only Ponting, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis are better then Pietersen. I'd say his a bit better then Robin Smith and Alan Lamb.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    Out of the current lot, only Ponting, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis are better then Pietersen.
    Not sure about that - would agree if you'd said "have been" rather than "are"

I'd say his a bit better then Robin Smith and Alan Lamb
    I have to accept that I do have a very effective pair of rose tinted spectacles but Smith was a special player at international level for rather longer than KP has been so far

............ but I certainly hope and expect that if the question is asked in five years time I'd answer KP without hesitation

Out of the current lot, only Ponting, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis are better then Pietersen. I'd say his a bit better then Robin Smith and Alan Lamb.
    What yardstick are you using to measure this. Obviously not the current ICC rankings?

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by The_roc View Post
    What yardstick are you using to measure this. Obviously not the current ICC rankings?
    Because no other batsman dominated Warne and McGrath like Pietersen did. He looks at ease at the crease and looks like the sort've batsman that would be considered an alltime great batsman.

Because no other batsman dominated Warne and McGrath like Pietersen did. He looks at ease at the crease and looks like the sort've batsman that would be considered an alltime great batsman.
    Pietersen was world ranked No 1 for a short time in 2005 and has been drifting down the ratings ever since. That doesn't stand comparison with the likes of Ponting and Kallis.

If you're rating him on on the basis of a 5 match series in 2005 then you need to cast your net a bit wider.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by The_roc View Post
    Pietersen was world ranked No 1 for a short time in 2005 and has been drifting down the ratings ever since. That doesn't stand comparison with the likes of Ponting and Kallis.

If you're rating him on on the basis of a 5 match series in 2005 then you need to cast your net a bit wider.
    South Africa 2004/05, Ashes 2005, Sri Lanka 2006, Ashes 2006/07 and South Africa 2008. All of those series' are examples of Pietersen's greatness. At one time or another, Pietersen has dominated McGrath, Warne, Muralitharan, Steyn and Pollock, who are the best bowlers of the past decade. It's what seperates him from the majority who average 50+ in Test Cricket.

South Africa 2004/05, Ashes 2005, Sri Lanka 2006, Ashes 2006/07 and South Africa 2008. All of those series' are examples of Pietersen's greatness. At one time or another, Pietersen has dominated McGrath, Warne, Muralitharan, Steyn and Pollock, who are the best bowlers of the past decade. It's what seperates him from the majority who average 50+ in Test Cricket.
    200% on point here sir.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Bollocks. Pietersen didn't dominate McGrath and/ or Warne. If the prerequisite is to play an occasional fine hand against them then Mark ****ing Butcher dominated them too.

He played bloody well against them, don't get me wrong, but he didn't boss them about the test grounds of the world like you're suggesting he did.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Bollocks. Pietersen didn't dominate McGrath and/ or Warne. If the prerequisite is to play an occasional fine hand against them then Mark ****ing Butcher dominated them too.

He played bloody well against them, don't get me wrong, but he didn't boss them about the test grounds of the world like you're suggesting he did.
    He hit Warne for like 6-7 sixes during his knock of 158 at the Oval, 2005. If that ain't domination then I don't know what is. He hit McGrath into the 2nd tier of Lords on debut and was hitting him on the up through square off a good length throughout 2005 and 2006/07. He basically got the better of McGrath from my recollections.

Only batsman to have averaged over 50 at home and away against McGrath and Warne.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    His first/second/third chance average in that innings of 158 at The Oval was poor though......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information