• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands best African born cricketer

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Is it presumptuous to say my 5 year old son will be? Too much pressure? Though I have built his action so he looks like a left-arm Jeff Thomson

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
African born? =/ Humour/intelligence fail.

Between Pietersen and Greig for me. I'd probably go for Pietersen though. Been top class for England, and he's still got a good few years left in him. Expecting him to finish his career as one of England's greats.
It's obviously Pietersen and you know it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's obviously Pietersen and you know it.
He has a strong case, but so does Tahnny. Any bloke who can average over 40 with the bat (in an era generally reckoned to be worse for batting than the current one), a bit over 30 with the ball and bowl medium-fast and off-spin is always going to be a useful player.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
He has a strong case, but so does Tahnny. Any bloke who can average over 40 with the bat (in an era generally reckoned to be worse for batting than the current one), a bit over 30 with the ball and bowl medium-fast and off-spin is always going to be a useful player.
Useful player, but not alltime great material which Pietersen potentially is.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Useful player, but not alltime great material which Pietersen potentially is.
Without Tony Greig what might have become of England in 1974/75 doesn't bear thinking about - for me KP still has a bit to do to get past him - I'd put KP just ahead of Alan Lamb and level with Robin Smith

BoyBrumby

Englishman
An African-born XI?

1) Strauss*
2) CL Smith
3) RA Smith
4) Pietersen
5) Lamb
6) D'Oliveria
7) AW Greig
8) Prior+
9) Pringle
10) Edmonds
11) Radford

Bowling's a bit light, but bats a long way down.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
An African-born XI?

1) Strauss*
2) CL Smith
3) RA Smith
4) Pietersen
5) Lamb
6) D'Oliveria
7) AW Greig
8) Prior+
9) Pringle
10) Edmonds
11) Radford

Bowling's a bit light, but bats a long way down.
Cant ignore Hick, surely?

What he had done domestically is worth a slot IMO
Of that lot, I wonder how many were genuinly African-raised and how many were Brits who happened to be born in Africa.

Off the top of my head there's the Smiths, Lamb, D'Oliveira, Greig, Pietersen, Radford and Hick; then Strauss, Prior, Pringle and Edmunds. Not sure about the lattermost though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Without Tony Greig what might have become of England in 1974/75 doesn't bear thinking about - for me KP still has a bit to do to get past him - I'd put KP just ahead of Alan Lamb and level with Robin Smith
This

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Out of the current lot, only Ponting, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis are better then Pietersen. I'd say his a bit better then Robin Smith and Alan Lamb.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Out of the current lot, only Ponting, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis are better then Pietersen.
Not sure about that - would agree if you'd said "have been" rather than "are"

I'd say his a bit better then Robin Smith and Alan Lamb
I have to accept that I do have a very effective pair of rose tinted spectacles but Smith was a special player at international level for rather longer than KP has been so far

............ but I certainly hope and expect that if the question is asked in five years time I'd answer KP without hesitation

The_roc

U19 Captain
Out of the current lot, only Ponting, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis are better then Pietersen. I'd say his a bit better then Robin Smith and Alan Lamb.
What yardstick are you using to measure this. Obviously not the current ICC rankings?

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
What yardstick are you using to measure this. Obviously not the current ICC rankings?
Because no other batsman dominated Warne and McGrath like Pietersen did. He looks at ease at the crease and looks like the sort've batsman that would be considered an alltime great batsman.

The_roc

U19 Captain
Because no other batsman dominated Warne and McGrath like Pietersen did. He looks at ease at the crease and looks like the sort've batsman that would be considered an alltime great batsman.
Pietersen was world ranked No 1 for a short time in 2005 and has been drifting down the ratings ever since. That doesn't stand comparison with the likes of Ponting and Kallis.

If you're rating him on on the basis of a 5 match series in 2005 then you need to cast your net a bit wider.