• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time for Divisions in International Cricket?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Thinking about the summer of cricket in Australia and what's coming up in New Zealand with the mismatches that have been going on and the poor crowd numbers.

Is it now time to introduce divisions into international cricket to try and avoid series like Pak/Aus, NZ/Bang, etc?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, read the title and I was ready for a fiery and controversial article followed by a messy thread about how there should be a division in Test cricket between Asian teams and the others.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm actually all for divisions. It may be the only chance for WI to win something any time soon.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I have no problem with a division or two teir split, Im even happy to conceed that NZ would be placed in the lower, what concerns me most is if a team in the above division doesnt live up to or maintain its place, how easy will be to drop them like say if it was India or England. its got to be fair and just for all and i don't see this occurring once the divisions have been made.

Mr Mxyzptlk

If there are divisions then surely there can be no way to avoid being relegated if you finish bottom. No matter what team it is.

Uppercut

Is the lack of competitive series a recent thing? I was under the impression that there are more teams at a similar level now than there are usually.

There just doesn't seem to be too many interesting series in the FTP at the moment. The Aussie summer was a bit of a dud. Hopefully the two India-South Africa tests will be something to write home about.

That said, I'd love divisions in test cricket. But it won't happen. As a sport it's strangely adverse to the idea of a meritocracy.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
And you're not going to be able to relegate an Australia/India/England/South Africa I reckon.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I was thinking more along the lines of we have the IPL, the Champions League and the on-set of a lot of Twenty20 cricket. Something has got to give now surely?

It seems your average fan is more interested in the KFC Big-Bash than what they are in WIndies/Aus or Pak/Aus. Likewise in NZ with the Twenty20 Domestic League compared to the Bangladesh series.

You're killing international cricket with these series I tend to think.

Uppercut

How would you structure the divisions James? Five in the top tier and four in the bottom?

James

Cricket Web Owner
I would do 3 divisions personally with promotion/relegation only between Divisions 1 and 2.

Test

Division 1

India, South Africa, Australia, England

Division 2

Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Pakistan, West Indies

Division 3

Zimabwe, Bangladesh, the rest.

ODI

Division 1

Australia, India, South Africa, New Zealand

Division 2

England, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies

Division 3

Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, the rest.

James

Cricket Web Owner
How would Zimbabwe/Bangladesh (theoretically) get out of Division 3?
They never would. Australia for example would only play them possibly at World Cup time.

Take Rugby Union for example, the likes of Japan, Canada, Samoa, etc have been playing for much longer than Zimbabwe and Bangladesh have been playing cricket, but they're never going to be power houses in rugby so the big nations only play them once in a blue moon. Why can't the same sort of thing apply to cricket? Who would watch a 3 Test Rugby series between England and Canada and get excited about it? The same thing applies to a England v Bangladesh series IMO.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Surely there must be some avenue for upward movement though.:huh:
There would be in my thoughts between the top 8 nations, but not below that.

Do you honestly think any of the current minnows are going to improve out of site and beat any of the top 8 teams consistently within the next 10 years?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would do 3 divisions personally with promotion/relegation only between Divisions 1 and 2.

Test

Division 1

India, South Africa, Australia, England

Division 2

Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Pakistan, West Indies

Division 3

Zimabwe, Bangladesh, the rest.

ODI

Division 1

Australia, India, South Africa, New Zealand

Division 2

England, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies

Division 3

Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, the rest.
SOOO boring just playing the same 3 teams over and over again.

My biggest problem is that there is no need for some of the series going on. For instance, why does Pakistan have to stay in the country for an extra 5 days just for a T20 match?

There tour should have finished at the latest on Sunday. Ideally it should have just been 3 Tests, 3 ODIs and 1 T20.

I don't really have a problem with the Bangladesh tour of NZ. It's a short sharp tour. Bangladesh should improve as the tour goes on.

Uppercut

Well yeah, but that's not the case with Zimbabwe. They were deservedly ranked above England (who you have in the top tier) at one stage. Would that side have been left permanently with everyone else?

There is a precedent of rugby teams improving significantly, hence we now have Six Nations rather than Five.

Simon

Cant work for so many reasons, for example aren't domestic first class matches only played in test playing nations, what happens when countries like Ireland etc.. are promoted and dont have first class cricket or their standard is really poor.
Also how do the countries in the lower divisions make money, surely matches with those teams aren't going to be heavily supported and that until they move up.
What happens when big rivals are in the opposite division, not having India vs Pakistan ever would suck.

Mr Mxyzptlk

There would be in my thoughts between the top 8 nations, but not below that.

Do you honestly think any of the current minnows are going to improve out of site and beat any of the top 8 teams consistently within the next 10 years?
Surely it's not fair to deny them the opportunity to do so though.