• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time for Divisions in International Cricket?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There would be in my thoughts between the top 8 nations, but not below that.

Do you honestly think any of the current minnows are going to improve out of site and beat any of the top 8 teams consistently within the next 10 years?
Hey, I'm the most critical person of Bangladeshi cricket on the interwebz, but just because we don't expect something to happen doesn't mean we can design a system whereby it's taken as fact that it will never happen.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There would be in my thoughts between the top 8 nations, but not below that.

Do you honestly think any of the current minnows are going to improve out of site and beat any of the top 8 teams consistently within the next 10 years?
Yes of course. The top 8 countries will not always be the top 8 countries, especially at all 3 formats.

The weaker countries should play the majority of their matches at home against the better teams. Bangladesh really are an acceptable team at home, but away they are still terrible.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking more along the lines of we have the IPL, the Champions League and the on-set of a lot of Twenty20 cricket. Something has got to give now surely?

It seems your average fan is more interested in the KFC Big-Bash than what they are in WIndies/Aus or Pak/Aus. Likewise in NZ with the Twenty20 Domestic League compared to the Bangladesh series.

You're killing international cricket with these series I tend to think.
If Test cricket gets a smaller piece of a bigger pie then that is fine.

It isnt as if the 'average fan' is converting from Test to T20. The problem may arise in a generations time but I dont know that it will. It is certainly possible though. However, as I have said for a long time, I believe ODIs are in far more immediate danger than Test cricket.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
James you divisions look acceptable at a glance. but problems would occur when for example England tour Australia to play five test, but cant play odi's against each other because theyre in a different division it just wouldnt make sense to the organisers and the spectators and that goes for any other team that are in the same division in one form of the game but in different divisions in another form of the game.

rugby is just rugby.. thats why it doesnt require teams to compete with each other, there is only one way to play 15 men rugby.

the best thing to do would be to make the 20-20 int. like the 7s rugby. world series.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Surely it's not fair to deny them the opportunity to do so though.
Hey, I'm the most critical person of Bangladeshi cricket on the interwebz, but just because we don't expect something to happen doesn't mean we can design a system whereby it's taken as fact that it will never happen.
Yes of course. The top 8 countries will not always be the top 8 countries, especially at all 3 formats.

The weaker countries should play the majority of their matches at home against the better teams. Bangladesh really are an acceptable team at home, but away they are still terrible.
Those are all fair points and I can see where you're coming from. Why not do promotion/relegation every year and change the structure when Bangladesh do improve?

Where I'm coming from is it appears as though the IPL, Champions League, even domestic T20 comps is where the big interest is now and it takes the big series (Eng/Aus, etc) to keep international cricket up there competing alongside them. Not one-sided series like what's happening currently.

Uppercut

Also how do the countries in the lower divisions make money, surely matches with those teams aren't going to be heavily supported and that until they move up.
I don't really think this is especially true. New Zealand vs. Pakistan was quite clearly not the pinnacle of test cricket but that didn't stop people from supporting their sides.
What happens when big rivals are in the opposite division, not having India vs Pakistan ever would suck.
The idea is that if Pakistan weren't good enough to be promoted and India were too good to be relegated, it wouldn't be a competitive series anyway. Which is probably the case at the moment itbt.

New rivalries have to start somewhere. Exciting, competitive series let them develop, we're seeing that now with India and Australia. When two sides aren't in the same class the rivalry just isn't the same anyway, as evidenced by the West Indies in Australia recently. The whole point of a league system is to get teams that are of a similar standard playing against each other more often.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Interesting discussion anyway I tend to think :D

Would anyone actually make any changes to the way international cricket is currently structured?

Simon

Are Pakistan really that bad? They should have won the series in New Zealand and very well should have won the second test against Australia and who knows if they did the third might have been totally different.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Are Pakistan really that bad? They should have won the series in New Zealand and very well should have won the second test against Australia and who knows if they did the third might have been totally different.
But they didn't. Until they do the things they should do, they have to be measured on what they've done. Do you see what I've done there?

Uppercut

They should have lost the series in New Zealand! Rain bailed them out.

Considering that fielding is part of the game, as is finishing off a match when you're ahead, I have to conclude that as of now Pakistan really are that bad. But as bad as they are, they're only a little bit of professionalism away from being a very good side.

Flem274*

123/5
Why?

If you're reffering to dropped catches, fielding is part of the game. They can only blame themselves.

Plus as Uppercut said, they were bailed out by the rain otherwise a 23 year old debutant may well have continued to cream them all round the park to an NZ victory (without Jesse Ryder or Shane Bond). They sure didnt look like they had an answer to Watling.

Simon

Why?

If you're reffering to dropped catches, fielding is part of the game. They can only blame themselves.

Plus as Uppercut said, they were bailed out by the rain otherwise a 23 year old debutant may well have continued to cream them all round the park to an NZ victory (without Jesse Ryder or Shane Bond). They sure didnt look like they had an answer to Watling.
Yeh got my teams mixed up, had in my mind that it was Pakistan chasing to win in the third test when the rain came, I was mistaken.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Over reaction.

Apart from Aus and to some extend SA most teams bounce around regularly from periods where they are Good to poor or mediocre.Leave it as it is.Cricket is such a sport where one superstar bowler can take you from medioce to top class in a matter of one series.

Pakistan was **** in the last series but apart from two Indian series and last SAF series all other series has been one sided in Aus for the last decade.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Over reaction.

Apart from Aus and to some extend SA most teams bounce around regularly from periods where they are Good to poor or mediocre.Leave it as it is.Cricket is such a sport where one superstar bowler can take you from medioce to top class in a matter of one series.

Pakistan was **** in the last series but apart from two Indian series and last SAF series all other series has been one sided in Aus for the last decade.
Asif and Bond prove you right there.

Well Asif backed up by fielders.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Asif and Bond prove you right there.

Well Asif backed up by fielders.
Asif would end up having lowest ever bowling average for a seamer if he only gets to bowl to NZL,WI and Bangla regularly also Mahela and Mo Yo to average 70+ in test cricket.

cbuts

International Debutant
They never would. Australia for example would only play them possibly at World Cup time.

Take Rugby Union for example, the likes of Japan, Canada, Samoa, etc have been playing for much longer than Zimbabwe and Bangladesh have been playing cricket, but they're never going to be power houses in rugby so the big nations only play them once in a blue moon. Why can't the same sort of thing apply to cricket? Who would watch a 3 Test Rugby series between England and Canada and get excited about it? The same thing applies to a England v Bangladesh series IMO.
Dont agree with the arguement there mate.
Ireland never beatan the All Blacks, Wales havent done for 60 years. So i guess we should never play them? What about England, they have only 6 victories over 100 years. Maybe we should just play them at world cup time to?

Bangladesh have caused an upset or two along the way. Was only 20 years ago, Sri Lanka were the Bangladesh of the cricket world.

cbuts

International Debutant
hmmmm if it hadnt of rained in Napier on the last day, they would of lost 2-1?

West Indies made australia sweat in the 2nd and 3rd test aswell?
South Africa V England was a great series to watch.

IMO the past few months have been some of the best test cricekt for a while.

Minus the India SL series - might aswell have just played tball there - bowlers had no show

cbuts

International Debutant
Over reaction.

NZ in Australia 2001-2002, should of won the series but for some dodgy umpiring in Perth on the final day