What is his legacy as a player. Did he fulfill his potential?
Take the positives-
- Superbly elegant in full flow
- Great cover driver and puller
- Great Captain
- Good test century-test match ratio for an Englishman
- Once he got to 50 you really fancied him for 100
- He struggled to get 50 too often
- Was there ever a more fragile top order batsman in test cricket when out of form?
- Mediocre first-class average, 20 below the likes of Hick
- Terrible injury problems
- Confidence could vanish in minutes after being built up over months
What do you think?