• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Vaughan- Jekyll and Hyde?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
What is his legacy as a player. Did he fulfill his potential?

Take the positives-

- Superbly elegant in full flow
- Great cover driver and puller
- Great Captain
- Good test century-test match ratio for an Englishman
- Once he got to 50 you really fancied him for 100

Negatives-

- He struggled to get 50 too often
- Was there ever a more fragile top order batsman in test cricket when out of form?
- Mediocre first-class average, 20 below the likes of Hick
- Terrible injury problems
- Confidence could vanish in minutes after being built up over months

What do you think?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Over-rated skipper imo. M Mint the true force behind the 05 triumph :ph34r:

Welcome btw mate.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
GuyFromLancs, meet Burgey. Still bitter about Bodyline, nevermind 05 and 09.

Anyway, I don't think he fulfilled his potential and I think had he never taken the armband he'd have averaged 4 or 5 runs more but the trade-off in what he brought to the team as captain means it was worth it IMO.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Frustrating. Not on the scale of Harmison, but always left with the feeling he could have done better.

And I know this is cricketweb and therefore we have to assume tests only, but I find his ODI record to be woeful.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What is his legacy as a player. Did he fulfill his potential?
Not even close. If judged by the level of expecttion, he was a massive failure for Yorkshire and disappointed for England. He was viewed as a once in a generation player and that didnt happen.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
He seemed to have the English disease of being able to collapse completely. Flintoff had it with his batting in the last 3 years of his career. Not able to buy a run and looking shaky all the time, no matter who bowls. But at least Fred had his bowling which improved no end.

Vaughan was a walking wicket when out of form and if you read his autobiography he hints at admitting to this on occasion. Out of all the test batsman I would liken him to Atapattu to some extent. Prone to low scores but excellent if he gets, or is allowed to get, his eye in.

Woodster

International Captain
As has previously been said, I found Vaughan a joy to watch when he was in form. His tour of Australia in 2002/03 was obviously the pinnacle of his batting career. The ease in which he picked up the fairly short ball, and drove with absolute impunity, indicated he could go on to become one of the very finest Test batsmen of our time.

Unfortunately, imo, he probably did not reach his full potential, injuries, long spells out of form, the weight of captaincy on his shoulders, all played their part in making Vaughan an under-achiever, when you consider the amount of talent he possessed.

His captaincy was outstanding, the way he led the side, and the tactical side improved as he did the job. A top player for England, if not for Yorkshire, but in a different life could most probably have achieved much more.

Uppercut

Style over substance IMO. A middle-of-the-road batsman who looked like a top-class one. I do rate him as a captain though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Style over substance IMO. A middle-of-the-road batsman who looked like a top-class one. I do rate him as a captain though.
I'm inclined to agree with this although no one should underestimate the traumatic effect on a Lancastrian of having to play for them on t'other side o' Pennines :ph34r:

Uppercut

Given his performances for t'others over the years I'm inclined to consider him some kind of spy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nail. Head. Hit.

The classic "looks pretty when in full flight, therefore must be a great batsman."

How many times did Vaughan play down the completely wrong line and turn round to see off stump or middle stump flying all over the place?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not all that often, but when he did it looked so horrendous that it stuck firmly in the mind.

Anyway as those who've been here for a while know I wrote an article on Vaughan upon his retirement which those who haven't read it and wish to can find here. Basically says much of what has been said so far - he was viewed as a once-in-a-generation player at age-group level because when he played well he looked sensational, and ended-up nothing of the sort at higher ones because of the fact that he couldn't play well anywhere near so often as he was believed to be capable of by many.

I for one don't believe the England captaincy remotely affected his batting as what happened throughout his captaincy had been happening for years beforehand as well. But the captaincy allowed him a second string to his bow and means he'll rightly always be recalled with great fondness by those who supported England during 2004 and 2005.

Last edited:

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
No way Vaughan fulfilled his potential IMO. He had the potential to be a modern great of English cricket, finished as a joke cricketer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not surprising either - it's easily forgotten. Vaughan was never, even when his knees were at their worst, the sort of bad fielder whose bad fielding was obvious apart from when the ball went into (and often enough straight out of again) his hands. He was not a classically inept fielder like Tufnell or Malcolm, merely someone whose hands were woeful. His arm was OK and he was, while far from swift over the ground, certainly not slow.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Not surprising either - it's easily forgotten. Vaughan was never, even when his knees were at their worst, the sort of bad fielder whose bad fielding was obvious apart from when the ball went into (and often enough straight out of again) his hands. He was not a classically inept fielder like Tufnell or Malcolm, merely someone whose hands were woeful. His arm was OK and he was, while far from swift over the ground, certainly not slow.
I didn't mean it like that. He was a terrible catcher and just looked completely uncoordinated that made you wonder how on earth he was a sportsman.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's weird because most batsmen who have Vaughan's elegance and talent also make fine natural fielders. I can't think of any who don't.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Most disappointing that he's turned into something of a rentagob so soon in his post-cricket media career too. I expected rather better from such an instinctive and wily captain.

As an aside it's typical of the happenstance approach we seem to have towards long-term planning in this country that it was his batting form that secured him the captain's armband and ultimately his captaincy comfortably eclipsed his batting. We occasionally stumble into success despite rather than because of our system.