• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should replace Peter Siddle for the Tour of New Zealand?

Craig

World Traveller
News came in on Fox Sports during the NSW v QLD Ford Ranger Cup game that Peter Siddle will miss the tour of New Zealand with stress fractures in his back. So if given carte blanche, who would you pick to replace him in the Test team? Clint McKay would seem like the first cab off the rank, but Ryan Harris has picked up 13 ODI wickets in last three games, and whether or not Richard likes it (and he won't :p), it would play some factor in the selectors minds.

I don't think Ben Hilfenhaus is fit either.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
McKay next in line.

Harris is in good form, but give him some time to find his fitness. Played one FC game for Queensland this season. You don't select bowlers on such a small workload.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McKay took a few poles in the ODIs but you only need to see him bowl to know that he's not test quality

Julian87

State Captain
Wouldn't want McKay being one of the three quicks tbh. I'd deffo go Harris or maybe someone like George if they're fit. One shield game doesn't phase me as hardly anyone has played more than one for a month or two due to the big bash and the Xmas break.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Judging only from what I've seen from both Harris and McKay in international matches this summer, Harris would worry me more as a NZ fan.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I would say McKay would get it, but i agree hes not test quality. Noone else has really put their hand up in recent times.

Cutting, George, Hastings and Geeves are on top of the domestic FC bowlers at the moment.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
I would say McKay would get it, but i agree hes not test quality. Noone else has really put their hand up in recent times.

Cutting, George, Hastings and Geeves are on top of the domestic FC bowlers at the moment.
Harris for me, I would really like to see the selectors pick a young gun like Peter George..and Brett Geeves is injured for the rest of the season.

Mister Wright

Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Watson
M. Hussey
White
Klinger
Haddin
Johnson
Bollinger
Hauritz
McKay
Harris
Cutting

if 15:
McDonald

SmityNZ

Cricket Spectator
Seems to me you'd be looking to pick the guy who has been bowling 140-odd clicks, and big late away-hoopers to boot, and taking 5-fors for fun.

sonia2

Banned
Back injury forces Peter Siddle and Brett Geeves out of the summer

"Peter experienced back pain during the Commonwealth Bank Series," Australia's physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said. "The source of the pain was investigated after the fifth ODI and unfortunately scans revealed that he has a lower back stress fracture. The nature of this injury means that Peter will require a long rehabilitation period and as such he'll be unavailable for the remainder of the domestic summer and the tour of New Zealand."

Julian87

State Captain
Really hoping White gets a place in the squad. I don't think he'll be great but I think his batting could be effective at 6 and his slip fielding would be brilliant for the side.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
This stuff about McKay not being Test quality is absolute rubbish.
The idea that Harris has gone from solid first class medium pacer to potential superstar is even more ludicrous. The man is a good bowler, but he generally doesn't get it all together like how he displayed against Pakistan.

Not sure how some have come to such an early conclusion on McKay, I guess this is based on a nervous Test debut and a pretty solid series of ODI games.

To who is the better bowler? Hard to split, I have seen Harris bowl far worse in recent times to how he performed against Pakistan, and I have seen McKay bowl some of the most unplayable spells in recent Sheffield Shield history.

In the end, Cutting is the one who will be a star :happy:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Watson
M. Hussey
White
Klinger
Haddin
Johnson
Bollinger
Hauritz
McKay
Harris
Cutting

if 15:
McDonald
Haha Cutting? You must be insane. The guy is crap, and I don't care how many wickets he's taking at the moment. He bowls straight mono-paced guff that for some reason, shield cricketers are getting out to. Most of his wickets come from the batsman getting too excited when he bowls another 'hit me' lollipop, like Henriques did today. If the grounds in New Zealand are smaller he wouldn't have any success, because the spot where the fielder usually takes all his catches is actually in the crowd.

And even if you don't think he's that bad, he's certainly nowhere near the top of the pile of candidates, or worth giving a test cap to in any way, shape or form. On Australia's list of bowling depth he comes just after Ricky Ponting bowling left arm chinaman.

Unless you're selecting him as a batsman.

Johnners

Haha Cutting? You must be insane. The guy is crap, and I don't care how many wickets he's taking at the moment. He bowls straight mono-paced guff that for some reason, shield cricketers are getting out to. Most of his wickets come from the batsman getting too excited when he bowls another 'hit me' lollipop, like Henriques did today. If the grounds in New Zealand are smaller he wouldn't have any success, because the spot where the fielder usually takes all his catches is actually in the crowd.

And even if you don't think he's that bad, he's certainly nowhere near the top of the pile of candidates, or worth giving a test cap to in any way, shape or form. On Australia's list of bowling depth he comes just after Ricky Ponting bowling left arm chinaman.

:laugh:

Don't entirely disagree ftr

Mister Wright

...but Mark Waugh said he was test quality potential...:)

Really couldn't think of anyone else and couldn't be bothered to look outside of QLD tbh.