• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should replace Peter Siddle for the Tour of New Zealand?

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Good to see the George fans :).

When will the test squad be announced for the NZ tour?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd still imagine George is pretty raw, especially with his skills other than bowling.

Although I'd love to see him bat on TV. Very ordinary.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From what I've seen of Harris so far (admittedly it's not much) I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run in the longer form of the game if he's up to it. Could be very handy.

Son Of Coco

Tait. He's fast. Who cares if he's only capable of bowling 2 over spells, they'd be entertaining 2 over spells :D I don't like his action, but I just love watching the bloke bowl, something about rapid pace that just makes for entertaining cricket. I'm still hoping to one day see an Australian attack of Johnson, Lee, Tait and Nannes. That'd be a seriously entertaining bowling attack to watch, even if it's just for a T20 game.
Tait's pace usually quickens up markedly off the bat in test cricket and is still gaining pace when it hits the fence. I've never been impressed with him in tests. I was excited to see him bowl when he first hit the scene, but quickly lost interest when he sprayed it around all over the place. His good balls are fantastic, it's the 40-50 **** ones in between that make it frustrating to watch.

pasag

RTDAS
Tait's pace usually quickens up markedly off the bat in test cricket and is still gaining pace when it hits the fence. I've never been impressed with him in tests. I was excited to see him bowl when he first hit the scene, but quickly lost interest when he sprayed it around all over the place. His good balls are fantastic, it's the 40-50 **** ones in between that make it frustrating to watch.
Anyways, we now have Johnson filling that role :p

Mister Wright

But he does have experience an test knowledge, you can throw Lee in there knowing he'll do a job. Nannes has to become a test bowler and it doesnt happen overnight.
Yeah, but Lee's only played about 5 good tests, so it's a bit of a gamble selecting him unless Mcgrath or someone like that is there to clean up his mess.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Hands down Harris should be the pick.....he is high on confidence....and NZ batting is more or less equal to what Pak has......Harris should make the cut...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd still imagine George is pretty raw, especially with his skills other than bowling.

Although I'd love to see him bat on TV. Very ordinary.
Haha, yep. Comical. It's why he and Tait will probably never play together.

He'd be in with a chance for the next Bellerive Test.......:ph34r:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but Lee's only played about 5 good tests, so it's a bit of a gamble selecting him unless Mcgrath or someone like that is there to clean up his mess.
I think i know what you mean & i think i fundamentally disagree. But before i argue, i just what you to clarify what you mean this fully.

Polo23

International Debutant
Lee will never play test cricket again...and it's no real shame, average test bowler, very good limited overs bowler.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lee will never play test cricket again...and it's no real shame, average test bowler, very good limited overs bowler.
Uh no. Lee overall if you summarise his career he was nothing of the sort.

- He started fantastic in his first year in international cricket. Averaging 16 before he got injured during the 2000/01 summer.

- Then when he returned in ENG 2001, between ENG 01 to ENG 05 he was really average test bowler, averaging 38 (although he bowled better in 05 Ashes than his 40 ave suggested).

- After his hot & cold Ashes & the super test. Lee peaked as a test bowler during the 2005 AUS summer & from WI 05 to WI 08 he averaged 25

At the back end of 2008 he had his family issues & injuries which really affected his bowling vs IND/NZ/SA & well that probably could be last Lee will be seen with the red ball.

Overall the stats reflect Lee's career as a good test bowler especially during his peak. Lee was my no means an average test bowler.

He indeed could very well & not play test cricket again, mainly because of his recent injury woes & the fact that he is getting old. But not because he was a average test bowler. If he can stay fit for 2010 he could very well & play test for AUS again if injuries where to arise to main pace set-up of Hilfenhaus/Bollinger/Siddle/Johnson.

bryce

International Regular
He started fantastic in his first year in international cricket.

between ENG 01 to ENG 05 he was really average test bowler

hot & cold Ashes & the super test

Lee peaked as a test bowler during the 2005 AUS summer & from WI 05 to WI 08L]

he had his family issues & injuries which really affected his bowling
tbf I think Polo was just balancing it out:laugh:
I would also say that Lee was a good Test bowler, though I wouldn't say that he was a consistently good Test bowler.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
A bit surprised that no has mentioned him, but it wasn't that long ago MacGoffin was next in line for the test side. Would have McKay and Harris ahead, but he for mine is clearly the next in line after those two.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A bit surprised that no has mentioned him, but it wasn't that long ago MacGoffin was next in line for the test side. Would have McKay and Harris ahead, but he for mine is clearly the next in line after those two.
Isn't he woefully out of form? Have called for his call up in the past but IIRC the sentence containing the words 'fork' and 'done' were recently used in reference to him.

Could easily be mistaken as we don't get Sheffield Shield on Sky here.

Afterthought: I called for Noffke earlier in the thread but his stats this season are nearly the same as Magoffers. :(

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
None of the WA, SA or TAS bowlers are a chance. The selectors will go for someone from one of the 3 other states.