• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Zimbabwe in West Indies

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Exactly, roseboy....

They are two different formats of the game, Windie.

On the first point, it's a poor point to be accusing posters of supporting Nash just because they're Jamaican when you don't declare your own background. That kind of discussion belongs on a parochial site. I'm sure you can find some threads on caribbeancricket.com that are low enough for that kind of discussion. If it's nobody's business where you're from, then do the decent thing, and stop accusing other posters of parochialism in their support of Nash. We can rely on you to do the decent thing, right?
8-)
Secondly, I have always maintained that stats are one of the most important criteria for discussion. If you'd done your research, you'd see that Samuels' stats are not that impressive. What's his average in Test cricket? Also, he's been out of cricket for a while now. He needs to play for Jamaica first, and earn a callup to the WIndies side, just like everyone else....

thirdly, I don't know Gibson, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that there's no way he would follow your line of half-baked thinking when it comes to Test selections!
:laugh:
Fourthly, Bravo and Barath were inconsistent with the bat on the tour Down Under. Both scored 104 runs each, with Barath averaging 34 and Bravo 29. That tour average was inferior to Nash's, which was 41. Nash outperformed both Barath and Bravo with the bat during that tour. End of story....

So, if you are really going to discuss Deonarine coming into the side to replace someone, then clearly Nash is not that man.
Shouldn't the only "stats" that matter is that Samuels has more 100's, more 50's and more runs than Nash at test level? or are you just gonna move the goalposts to suit your argument AGAIN Mike? :laugh: as for your "parochialism" claim, i just called it how i saw it, three out of four people backing Nash had relations to Jamaica, a coincidence? i doubt it, and actually there are three formats to the game Mike!!, and of course i'm fully aware of them, but unlike you i'm taking into account his knocks in both the tests and Odi's in Australia and the charater he showed to win us the series against Zimbabwe, HE'S A MAN ON FORM and that's important going into the series with South Africa, he's also man who has better batting ability than Nash, something you seem oblivious to, lastly no-one knows what Gibson is thinking, so acting like your do is a frivolous exercise to be honest.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He's not moving the goalposts, you're just not understanding the argument, which is well thought out, logical, and supported by statistics.

Your argument basically boils down to: The West Indies selectors should drop from their Test team their 2nd best batsman on the recent Test tour of Australia in favour of a guy who did ok in an ODI series against ****ing Zimbabwe, and that anyone who disagrees with you is doing so because they're showing pro-Jamaica bias.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nash isn't an attractive flourishing batsmen but as the statistics show, he's doing the job that the West Indian middle order isn't doing. Until he starts failing or Deonarine scores runs in the longer format Nash should definitely be retained.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I would have thought it was obvious that Nash will stay in the side until one of the fringe players dominates FC or A team cricket so much that replacing a man who averages approx 40 in test cricket is worth the risk. At the moment that is certainly not the case.

To change topic slightly, they have selected the squad for the upcoming A team matches against Zimbabwe. They haven't announced it yet but the T & T Guardian, which has a good record of discovering which Trinis have been picked before it is announced, says that Justin Guillen, Imran Khan and Shannon Gabriel have been given the nod. Personally, I would not have gone for Gabriel yet but we are pretty desperate for fast bowling talent and I can understand why Gibson wants to have a close look at him, he has all the right attributes to succeed. Guillen hasn't done much lets face it but it just goes to show the low standards that are now accepted in the Caribbean. Given these selections I have to revise my predicted A team squad:

Justin Guillen
Kraigg Braithwaite
Andre Fletcher
Darren Bravo
Andre Creary
Kevin Stoute
Devon Thomas (WK)
Imran Khan
Kevin McLean
Kavesh Kantasingh
Brandon Bess

Reserves:

Kieron Powell
Omar Phillips
Shannon Gabriel
Jason Holder

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He's not moving the goalposts, you're just not understanding the argument, which is well thought out, logical, and supported by statistics.

Your argument basically boils down to: The West Indies selectors should drop from their Test team their 2nd best batsman on the recent Test tour of Australia in favour of a guy who did ok in an ODI series against ****ing Zimbabwe, and that anyone who disagrees with you is doing so because they're showing pro-Jamaica bias.
No as i said before i'm taking into account his fantastic knock of 80 runs in the tests against Australia too, which i pointed out already, i talk about his Odi performances in relation to the great form he's showing with the bat right now.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I would have thought it was obvious that Nash will stay in the side until one of the fringe players dominates FC or A team cricket so much that replacing a man who averages approx 40 in test cricket is worth the risk. At the moment that is certainly not the case.

To change topic slightly, they have selected the squad for the upcoming A team matches against Zimbabwe. They haven't announced it yet but the T & T Guardian, which has a good record of discovering which Trinis have been picked before it is announced, says that Justin Guillen, Imran Khan and Shannon Gabriel have been given the nod. Personally, I would not have gone for Gabriel yet but we are pretty desperate for fast bowling talent and I can understand why Gibson wants to have a close look at him, he has all the right attributes to succeed. Guillen hasn't done much lets face it but it just goes to show the low standards that are now accepted in the Caribbean. Given these selections I have to revise my predicted A team squad:

Justin Guillen
Kraigg Braithwaite
Andre Fletcher
Darren Bravo
Andre Creary
Kevin Stoute
Devon Thomas (WK)
Imran Khan
Kevin McLean
Kavesh Kantasingh
Brandon Bess

Reserves:

Kieron Powell
Omar Phillips
Shannon Gabriel
Jason Holder
Hasn't Deonarine dominated FC cricket already though? as for your side, that looks good man, apparently Holder was very good yesterday against Lancashire so i'd imagine he'd be starting to be honest, i also think after his efforts in the last FC season Kirk Edwards deserves a chance, and i hope Delorn Johnson and Devandre Bishoo are looked at for the bowling line-up.