• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Harbhajan Singh one of the greatest fingerspinners ever ?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
i am surprised that no one has mentioned saqlian's name.. i mean he was the true master of "doosra".. yet very under rated here in this forum..

He does have a better average than Harbhajan Singh..not only in ODI but in test too..

So for me Saqalin is ahead.. I would even pick him over Kumble.. just because at his best he would even perform good at flat and batsman friendly tracks..maybe more because I perfer Off spinners than Leg..
Would have been rated as high had he not simply wilted away.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
He has to be one of the greatest - for the jaw-dropping reason (and revelation) that there are not too many out there! Saqlain would be hard to beat in my opinion, and Bedi too for that matter.
Bhajji is a moody player so doesnt qualify as a legend, imo.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say that Harbhajan is one of the greatest finger spinners ever. He is a top class Test match spinner and one of the most economical ODI spinners you'll ever see around, boasting a pretty special economy rate up until recently where India have seen more than their fair share of run fests and he has still performed comparably well.

I feel people are quick to underrate Harhbajan Singh as for a variety of reasons. His odious personality would be one and the fact that he cannot replicate the brilliance (as it appears illegal to replicate the pitches) of the various home series in which dustbowls had been prepared earlier in his career. The fact that he is often accused of defensive tactics also tarnish his legacy from armchair fans who I believe failto look at the big picture that he rarely consistently fails to perform and tends to deliver strong performances more often than his visible bowling would often suggest.

Looking at other finger spinners, I'd say that, in terms of performing in both forms of the game, performing at such longevity and performing with such strong career stats, even if the overtly spin friendly wickets, which I do not believe occur as often as some may think (especially these days) are removed - Harbhajan is rarely, if ever, matched.

daghetto

Cricket Spectator
saqlain mushtaq of pakistan, in my opinion, is probably the greatest fingerspinner ever,or atleast a revolutionary one because of his doosra

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Saqlain wasn't revolutionary just because he bowled the Doosra, any more than Harbhajan is. Saqlain and Moin Khan merely attached the name "Doosra" to the ball - other fingerspinners had bowled it before, though only Eripalli Prasanna is known to have used it to such great effect as Saqlain and Harbhajan have in recent times.

It's even possible Sonny Ramadhin bowled it in the 1950s, though it's also possible that he like Murali was a one-of-a-kind bowler.

bagapath

International Captain
Saqlain wasn't revolutionary just because he bowled the Doosra, any more than Harbhajan is. Saqlain and Moin Khan merely attached the name "Doosra" to the ball - other fingerspinners had bowled it before, though only Eripalli Prasanna is known to have used it to such great effect as Saqlain and Harbhajan have in recent times.

It's even possible Sonny Ramadhin bowled it in the 1950s, though it's also possible that he like Murali was a one-of-a-kind bowler.
agree with this. especially the point about ramadhin.

bagapath

International Captain
Nver heard about Prasanna bowling the doosra before TBH. But fair enough..
he was supposed to be an exponent of the arm ball. this would start from outside the off stump, like an offspinner, but swing into the batsman instead of going away, pitch in line with the off and middle and spin towards first slip. prasanna once demonstrated on tv about how the grip makes all the difference. he seemed to cup the ball in his palm a little more to get this delivery bowled. he was of the opinion that it would be impossible to make the ball spin away too much for an off spinner without straightening the arm, essentially claiming most of the doosras are chucked in.

AaronK

State Regular

Did u actually see ramadhin bowle?

Saqalin was the master and first one to use it in his era.. Guys like Murali and Bhajji and so was inspired by him.. at first Murali wasn't good at it but around 2001 or 02, he learned the technic.. lets give Saqalin the credit that he deserve.. he is the best finger spinner i have seen.. i rate him highly..

thierry henry

International Coach
hey, if it is worth arguing that Kallis is a better allrounder than Sobers, then surely this is worth too. After all, the premises are the same for both arguments... :p

PS: I haven't checked Bhajji's stats comparative to Prasana and Bedi either, so my post above is assuming what the OP says is true.
I'd love to hear your "argument" for why Bhajji is not comparable to Prasanna or Bedi.

Just throwing it out there....hasn't Bhajji played in an era which has been generally harder for bowlers??

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll say it, because no one else has.

Peter Such >>>> Harbhajan Singh

Unfortunately, Such wasn't a good enough batsman or bowler to be able to fit into an England team with such a poor tail. So Robert Croft was chosen instead.

bagapath

International Captain
I'd love to hear your "argument" for why Bhajji is not comparable to Prasanna or Bedi.

Just throwing it out there....hasn't Bhajji played in an era which has been generally harder for bowlers??
good point thierry henry. taking that into account kumble and bhajji, among indian spinners, should be ranked above chandra, bedi and prasanna.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did u actually see ramadhin bowle?
I've seen him bowl, but I've never found any footage enabling the intimate study of his action, because in the 1950s precious few such footage was shot.
Saqalin was the master and first one to use it in his era.. Guys like Murali and Bhajji and so was inspired by him.. at first Murali wasn't good at it but around 2001 or 02, he learned the technic.. lets give Saqalin the credit that he deserve.. he is the best finger spinner i have seen.. i rate him highly..
Murali was not remotely inspired by Saqlain because Murali's stock-ball and Saqlain's stock-ball are totally different in every respect apart from the direction in which they turn. And even before he developed his Wrong-'Un Murali was still a vastly superior bowler to Saqlain and Harbhajan and in fact any other fingerspinner.

Saqlain was indeed the first one to use the Doosra in his era but he was not the inventor of the ball, because others had bowled it before him.

Saqlain being the best fingerspinner since, say, 1995 is quite fair enough - he may have been better than Harbhajan, but equally he enjoyed just 5-6 years at the top of his game, while Harbhajan has already enjoyed more than that and may yet have many more ahead of him. So putting Harbhajan as > Saqlain is far from outrageous.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll say it, because no one else has.

Peter Such >>>> Harbhajan Singh

Unfortunately, Such wasn't a good enough batsman or bowler to be able to fit into an England team with such a poor tail. So Robert Croft was chosen instead.
You say it, but do you actually believe it?

If so, on what on Earth grounds? I don't believe that, even if bowling was the only consideration, Such would've had a very successful Test career, because there just aren't enough spin-friendly decks in England, so even while Such was a pretty good fingerspinner, he would not have had the tools to make him effective on more than the odd occasion.

Harbhajan bowls everything Such bowled and more.