Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "You Can't Teach Judgment"

still scratching around in the same old hole

"You Can't Teach Judgment"

There is a great quote from Wilf Rhodes in "No Coward Soul"

"You can't teach pluck, judgment nor concentration" which Appleyard slightly disagrees with as he thinks concentration can be improved.

It is something I have often thought having seen many talented cricketers who fail to convert talent and ability into success and I think it is an important thing to remember when assessing young cricketers.

Anyway, discuss.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Hmmm... interesting. Because you can learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Hmmm... interesting. Because you can learn it.
    You'll never master it by learning it, it has to come and click.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    You'll never master it by learning it, it has to come and click.
    I don't mean learn it deliberately, necessarily.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well, I would put down Dhoni as a great counter example actually. Compare him to when he first came on. He's a smart guy, realiized very quickly that his Made in Jharkaland temperment and shots won't fly at this level, and if you look at his progressive strike rate and shot selection, it's been an unbelievable change over his career. I think in many cases, pride gets in the way, and for some, if they've been doing it for a decade, it's much harder to change.

Look at his cumulative S/R in both ODIs and Tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Well, I would put down Dhoni as a great counter example actually. Compare him to when he first came on. He's a smart guy, realiized very quickly that his Made in Jharkaland temperment and shots won't fly at this level, and if you look at his progressive strike rate and shot selection, it's been an unbelievable change over his career. I think in many cases, pride gets in the way, and for some, if they've been doing it for a decade, it's much harder to change.

Look at his cumulative S/R in both ODIs and Tests.
    Good work there, actually took him 3/4 years untill it finally got to him in 07/8

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Can definitely teach judgement, it's a skill like any other.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I don't think it's unlearnable. But what I think is strange is when people act like the mental side of the game is the easiest to teach. "Ah, well he's got all the talent, and his technique's great, he just needs to sort out the mental side of his game and he'll be a top-class player". Just? That's the hardest part!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't think it's unlearnable. But what I think is strange is when people act like the mental side of the game is the easiest to teach. "Ah, well he's got all the talent, and his technique's great, he just needs to sort out the mental side of his game and he'll be a top-class player". Just? That's the hardest part!
    Not the hardest, just the most likely to be missing at the top level. Those lacking in talent don't even make it to first class cricket and you certainly can't learn talent.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Afridi to confirm
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    What I think is strange is how physical assets are regarded as talents and mental assets aren't. For me mental and physical talents are both talents - and a talent to me suggests something that can be honed (though there's a ceiling to almost anything) with work.

Whereas an asset (height, speed of arm and not a great deal else in cricketing context) is something that cannot be improved no matter what.

Things like eyesight and concentration are talents (the former a physical one, the latter a mental) which can be honed, but if you haven't got them to a great degree there's nothing as can be done.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Dhoni example is so good. Can't quite remember a cricketer making such a drastic change in recent times than him.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer dikinee's Avatar
    I coach a junior team and I try to impress upon them the importance of practicing not playing a shot but it isnt something that comes naturally to most. Patience and shot selection can be taught to a student who is willing to learn but courage and eye hand co-ordination cant be taught no matter how hard you try.
    Bumpy the Umpire Slayer.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dikinee View Post
    I coach a junior team and I try to impress upon them the importance of practicing not playing a shot but it isnt something that comes naturally to most. Patience and shot selection can be taught to a student who is willing to learn but courage and eye hand co-ordination cant be taught no matter how hard you try.
    Largely agree but dispute the courage bit, tbh. Surely if that were the case, you'd have far fewer people to choose from to get in the way of hard flying objects a la hockey goalies?

International 12th Man
    It all comes with maturity and experience. Hence why most players peak around the age of 27-33.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information