• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best match saving innings you have seen

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Daren Powell batting more than an hour and Fidel Edwards batting more than half an hour to save WI v England at St. John's last year.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You say match saving innings to an Englishman of my age then only 1 thing springs to mind. Athers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jimmeh & Monty's heroic stand in Cardiff >>>>> anything anyone has or will mention

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Daren Powell batting more than an hour and Fidel Edwards batting more than half an hour to save WI v England at St. John's last year.
Haha, Powell's biggest achievement in that innings was being bad enough that none of his horrid attempts at a pull shot actually connected.

Immediately thought of Athers too.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lancashire obviously saw something in that innings - after all he can't have been signed for his bowling

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Gary Kirsten's double hundred v England

Mark Greatbatch 146no (nearly 11 hours) v Australia at Perth in 89/90 (didn't see it but it sounded pretty impressive)

Above all, Atherton 185no

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gary Kirsten's double hundred v England
Yup, extraordinary innings.
Mark Greatbatch 146no (nearly 11 hours) v Australia at Perth in 89/90 (didn't see it but it sounded pretty impressive)
That one's a bit cheapened for me by the fact that it was in a rain-disrupted game and Australia would've won anyway had lost time been made-up.
Above all, Atherton 185no
The ultimate one really.

Another one that I always think of is Alec Stewart's 164 at Old Trafford in 1998.

Is it coincidence that so many of these came in England-vs.-South Africa games?