• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best match saving innings you have seen

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Again, a few of the many lost overs made-up in that Test and WI would've won anyway. :stuck-up smiley:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ridley Jacobs batting with more than 3 hours and Fidel Edwards (again!) batting for more than 30 minutes to avoid embarrassment v Zimbabwe.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Sachin Tendulkar's 119* at Manchester in 1990. He was just 17 then and came to the crease when India were tottering at 109-4 chasing an improbable 408 on the last day. Soon it was 127-5 and 183-6 and Indian defeat looked inevitable when he was joined by Prabhakar. The duo ground it out and Tendulkar registered his maiden ton. In fact he shifted gears and went for the win and India finished at 343-6 about 60 odd short of the victory target.

2nd Test: England v India at Manchester, Aug 9-14, 1990 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Edit : Sorry I watched this only on TV.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin Tendulkar's 119* at Manchester in 1990. He was just 17 then and came to the crease when India were tottering at 109-4 chasing an improbable 408 on the last day. Soon it was 127-5 and 183-6 and Indian defeat looked inevitable when he was joined by Prabhakar. The duo ground it out and Tendulkar registered his maiden ton. In fact he shifted actually went for the win and India finished at 343-6 about 60 odd short of the victory target.

2nd Test: England v India at Manchester, Aug 9-14, 1990 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Edit : Sorry I watched this only on TV.

Great knock but interesting to compare it to Athertons knock. Tendulkar batted 180 odd balls whereas Atherton faced 492 :-O. I just checked that number and I am blown away by it. I have been a big critic of Atheron but that innings was amazing.

Craig

World Traveller
Gary Kirsten's double hundred v England

Mark Greatbatch 146no (nearly 11 hours) v Australia at Perth in 89/90 (didn't see it but it sounded pretty impressive)

Above all, Atherton 185no
Yeah that was epic.

Sir Alex

Banned
Great knock but interesting to compare it to Athertons knock. Tendulkar batted 180 odd balls whereas Atherton faced 492 :-O. I just checked that number and I am blown away by it. I have been a big critic of Atheron but that innings was amazing.
I agree. I think perhaps in today's age had a batsman lasted so long, perhaps the target would have been knocked off. It was Atherton's brightest moment in otherwise an overrated and fairly mediocre career.

Speaking of survivals, I don't think anyone can beat this :

1st Test: West Indies v Pakistan at Bridgetown, Jan 17-23, 1958 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Batting out 16+ hours following on with a deficit of 473 runs is just mindboggling. :wacko:

Craig

World Traveller
I agree. I think perhaps in today's age had a batsman lasted so long, perhaps the target would have been knocked off. It was Atherton's brightest moment in otherwise an overrated and fairly mediocre career.

Speaking of survivals, I don't think anyone can beat this :

1st Test: West Indies v Pakistan at Bridgetown, Jan 17-23, 1958 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Batting out 16+ hours following on with a deficit of 473 runs is just mindboggling. :wacko:
Atherton admits himself he wasn't a great player or anything like that and he said that was the one innings that he was in the 'zone'.

JBMAC

State Captain
Ken Mackay and Lindsay Kline Adelaide Test 1960/61 sreies between West Indies and Australia

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Mark Waugh 115 not out against south Africa at the Adelaide oval in 1999.
It was a nice innings by Waugh, but there is always the 'hit wicket' controversy surrounding it. MWaugh is my fav batsman of all time, but I reckon you had to give that out.

Mark Greatbatch 146no (nearly 11 hours) v Australia at Perth in 89/90 (didn't see it but it sounded pretty impressive)
One of the first Test matches I really followed. It was a classic, you had Boonie with a brilliant 200 and Greatbatch's innings was enormous too.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Atherton 185*
Kirstens 275
Cullinan's 122 vs India at Joburg
Astle and Danny Morrison vs England 97 Auckland

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's match winning not saving though.
He saved it, Harbhajan won it, and Australia lost it.

Gambhir in NZ is the best I've seen in the last 3 years probably. That was ridiculous, even if the pitch was flat he seriously batted for a ****ing long time.

Ponting 2005 was amazing. Would it have been slightly less so if McGrath was given out LBW? :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lara's effort in a test against India comes to mind.. Batted in a very unnatural manner to him and Kumble on a last day track is always tricky...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not a candidate for the "Best" but watching Ian Botham propping and copping patiently for over four hours here was a bit surreal