• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson quits England for Windies role

shivfan

Banned
It does seem that Gibson is more than a little concerned about the fitness of Sarwan, and here it might not just be about his recovery from injury, but also concerns about the weight he's putting on around his middle. let's see if Ottis can whip him back into shape!
:cool:
Good to also hear Gibson warning the IPL players to keep up their fitness in India. Also good to hear that Gibson will be hosting a training and fitness camp in barbados over the next month, to ensure that the players are fit and ready for the world 20/20 champs....

And some youngsters at the University of the West Indies are currently playing some two-day games against visiting counties. Here is the squad:

UWI – Omar Phillips (captain), Kyle Corbin, Nekoli Parris, Raymon Reifer, Craigg Emmanuel, Liam Sebastien, Collis Worrell, Ruel Brathwaite, Brian Gooding, Nhamo Winn, Nikolai Charles. 12th man: Ryan Wiggins.

I'm sure you'll approve, Windie....
:)
We have a thread on the tournament on CMS.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Who is the highest rated of the lot?
I'd say Kyle Crobin has the most potential but Omar Phillips has played for WI during the strike so he's obviously got talent, Ruel Brathwaite plays in England county cricket and is apparently a decent pacer so there's some good names amoungst that lot, i've also heard good things about Nekoli Parris too.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest i don't give a monkeys what you think about my "knowledge of cricket", I'M A WINDIE FAN and i actually give a sh1t about the team, when your in a position of seeing your side fail time and time again then come back and spout your judgmental nonsense 8-) , clearly Shiv's form over the past year and Gayle's embarrassing displays in Australia have completely gone over your head.

Can't think how embarrassing it would have it been if Gayle missed the Zim ODI series...

WindieWeathers

International Regular

Can't think how embarrassing it would have it been if Gayle missed the Zim ODI series...
I take it you missed the ODI series of which Gayle become Bollingers bunny then? :laugh: and for all of Gayle's efforts against Zim it was Deonarine who won us the two important games we needed to clinch the series at the end of the day.

shivfan

Banned
Well, obviously gayle had to set the foundation for Deonarine to win the ODI series against Zimbabwe. Who opened the batting then?
8-)
Without Gayle's batting, the WI would've lost that series against Zimbabwe. When we look at the batting stats for the ODI series, only three batsmen averaged over 30 - Gayle, Deonarine and Shiv. Where were all the other batsmen?
:unsure:
It's pretty obvious from those stats that those three batsmen need to be a part of the next ODI setup, at least until the other batsmen can figure out how to be a lot more consistent than they are. If they can't be consistent in a home series against Zimbabwe, well....

Gibson looks at the positives....

'We prepared ourselves well for winning' - Ottis Gibson | Cricket News | West Indies v Zimbabwe 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

"It was good to see, apart from Chris [Gayle], other batsmen making contributions and getting us over the line. Narsingh Deonarine did it on a couple of occasions and [Denesh] Ramdin got an opportunity to go up the order and bat and show us what he can do."

I agree with him about Gayle and Deo, but I'm not impressed with Ramdin batting at four. Yes, he got the opportunity, but aside from the final ODI, what else did he do with the bat?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well, obviously gayle had to set the foundation for Deonarine to win the ODI series against Zimbabwe. Who opened the batting then?
8-)
Without Gayle's batting, the WI would've lost that series against Zimbabwe. When we look at the batting stats for the ODI series, only three batsmen averaged over 30 - Gayle, Deonarine and Shiv. Where were all the other batsmen?
:unsure:
It's pretty obvious from those stats that those three batsmen need to be a part of the next ODI setup, at least until the other batsmen can figure out how to be a lot more consistent than they are. If they can't be consistent in a home series against Zimbabwe, well....

Gibson looks at the positives....

'We prepared ourselves well for winning' - Ottis Gibson | Cricket News | West Indies v Zimbabwe 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

"It was good to see, apart from Chris [Gayle], other batsmen making contributions and getting us over the line. Narsingh Deonarine did it on a couple of occasions and [Denesh] Ramdin got an opportunity to go up the order and bat and show us what he can do."

I agree with him about Gayle and Deo, but I'm not impressed with Ramdin batting at four. Yes, he got the opportunity, but aside from the final ODI, what else did he do with the bat?
At the end of the day Mike if Deo didn't peform then Gayle's knocks would have been all in vain, Deo done the business when it really mattered, i also don't agree with Ottis about Ramdin and i just think he's trying to boost Ramdin's confidence tbh, if he was genuinely happy with Ramdin he wouldn't have Baugh, Devon Thomas and Walton in the provisional squad for the t20 coming up, clearly he wants to look at other options and if i had to choose from that bunch it would be Thomas everytime.

shivfan

Banned
That's because cricket is a team game, and good knocks from BOTH Gayle and Deonarine were needed. As we saw in the days of Lara, if we only had one man scoring the runs, we would still lose....

Here's the provisional 30-man squad:

West Indies probables for the 2010 World Twenty20: Lionel Baker, Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh jnr, David Bernard jnr, Sulieman Benn, Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Royston Crandon, Travis Dowlin, Narsingh Deonarine, Andre Fletcher, Chris Gayle, Wavell Hinds, Nikita Miller, Runako Morton, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Darren Sammy, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Lendl Simmons, Devon Smith, Dwayne Smith, Jerome Taylor, Devon Thomas, Gavin Tonge, Chadwick Walton

Thomas has only played one 20/20 international, and just one 20/20 domestic match. I don't think the right time to blood him in this form of the game would be in the world 20/20 champs. I think he can learn from being in a camp led by Gibson, and around experienced players, but now is probably not the right time for him. Tidy glovework is not as crucial in 20/20s as it is in Tests, since it's just 20 overs, so I would be happy with one of Ramdin, Baugh or Fletcher. It just depends on who we think can get the most runs for us....

Fitness tests will no doubt be carried out on Sarwan and Taylor. Understandably, Nash has been omitted, because this format doesn't suit his style. It's better to have him focussing on the Test team, where he's needed....

It will be interesting to see who makes the final 15.

Craig

World Traveller
Out of Ramdin, Baugh, and Fletcher, who would be the best hitter of all three, because that is what it comes down to. I suppose I would go (assuming 100% fitness):

* Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Deonarine
Dwayne Bravo
Pollard
+ Fletcher
Miller
Taylor
Roach
Darren Bravo
Sammy
Dwayne Smith
Benn

I picked Chanderpaul because there is little chance he will get dropped. Even though I don't rate him highly, Dwayne Smith is more suited to this format and his hitting will be important. If Pollard brings back his hitting form from his time at South Australia during the KFC Big Bash, then I don't think there will be many grounds in the WI that will be able to contain him. They will probably be hit out of the ground :laugh:

I suppose you can swap Benn for Rampaul if you want. But I omitted Rampaul because he goes for more then 8 an over.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
All depends how Barath goes in IPL they may pick Fletcher over him and one of Ramdin/Baugh to have two potential keepers.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
That's because cricket is a team game, and good knocks from BOTH Gayle and Deonarine were needed. As we saw in the days of Lara, if we only had one man scoring the runs, we would still lose....

Here's the provisional 30-man squad:

West Indies probables for the 2010 World Twenty20: Lionel Baker, Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh jnr, David Bernard jnr, Sulieman Benn, Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Royston Crandon, Travis Dowlin, Narsingh Deonarine, Andre Fletcher, Chris Gayle, Wavell Hinds, Nikita Miller, Runako Morton, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Darren Sammy, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Lendl Simmons, Devon Smith, Dwayne Smith, Jerome Taylor, Devon Thomas, Gavin Tonge, Chadwick Walton

Thomas has only played one 20/20 international, and just one 20/20 domestic match. I don't think the right time to blood him in this form of the game would be in the world 20/20 champs. I think he can learn from being in a camp led by Gibson, and around experienced players, but now is probably not the right time for him. Tidy glovework is not as crucial in 20/20s as it is in Tests, since it's just 20 overs, so I would be happy with one of Ramdin, Baugh or Fletcher. It just depends on who we think can get the most runs for us....

Fitness tests will no doubt be carried out on Sarwan and Taylor. Understandably, Nash has been omitted, because this format doesn't suit his style. It's better to have him focussing on the Test team, where he's needed....

It will be interesting to see who makes the final 15.
Thomas can bat though, he got 105 against Bangladesh for the A-team and in has last t20game he was 29 not out, i don't see the point in playing Ramdin and Baugh because they aren't big hitters and would only slow down the run rate imo. as for Fletcher, how many more chances is he gonna get? :laugh: .