• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson quits England for Windies role

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're only as good as your last game, did you see his performances against the Aussies? i guess not 8-) , if he wasn't 35 i might agree with you but the man is past it now IMO.
Chanderpaul at about half-pace is still one of the best batsmen in the West Indies. You pick your best batsmen. And certainly Nash has done little wrong, and several things right. You don't blood youth all at once. You do it gradually. Deonarine has benefited from playing for the West Indies and, when his time comes, will hopefully be able to step in strongly. You need to bring the youth in alongside experience.

Lara was probably the last West Indian batsman to get a proper apprenticeship period before his debut. And he didn't turn out too badly, did he. Aside from Barath, Deonarine is the only genuine batting prospect who is even approaching ready to make the step up. The less talk about DaBravo for the immediate future, the better.

Craig

World Traveller
I have a funny feeling that is all going to end in tears (Gibson being coach of the WI).

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Chanderpaul at about half-pace is still one of the best batsmen in the West Indies. You pick your best batsmen. And certainly Nash has done little wrong, and several things right. You don't blood youth all at once. You do it gradually. Deonarine has benefited from playing for the West Indies and, when his time comes, will hopefully be able to step in strongly. You need to bring the youth in alongside experience.

Lara was probably the last West Indian batsman to get a proper apprenticeship period before his debut. And he didn't turn out too badly, did he. Aside from Barath, Deonarine is the only genuine batting prospect who is even approaching ready to make the step up. The less talk about DaBravo for the immediate future, the better.
Mr M you're saying "you can't blood all the youngsters at once" but who is saying that? i've talked about Darren Bravo and along with Barath they are the only two "youngsters" that would be in the side, i don't consider Deonarine a youngster man, he's 26 now and is clearly ready to step in, i understand why many wouldn't drop Nash as he's done very well but if it's between him and Deonarine i'd go with Deonarine because the guy offers more spin to our bowling attack, for all of Nash's good work with the bat he really can slow down our run rate at times which hurt is in the second test against the Aussies, imo if Barath can make the step up then so can Darren Bravo, Adrian is better but not by much imo.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr M you're saying "you can't blood all the youngsters at once" but who is saying that? i've talked about Darren Bravo and along with Barath they are the only two "youngsters" that would be in the side, i don't consider Deonarine a youngster man, he's 26 now and is clearly ready to step in, i understand why many wouldn't drop Nash as he's done very well but if it's between him and Deonarine i'd go with Deonarine because the guy offers more spin to our bowling attack, for all of Nash's good work with the bat he really can slow down our run rate at times which hurt is in the second test against the Aussies, imo if Barath can make the step up then so can Darren Bravo, Adrian is better but not by much imo.
You're talking about dropping the two most solid batsmen in the side for "youngsters"! In terms of Deonarine as a youngster, in the grand scheme of international cricket he definitely is one.

And from the start my point has always been that Bravo is nowhere near to ready. Darren Bravo is nowhere near at the same level as Barath in terms of preparedness. Barath was vastly more successful and around the team for longer. Bravo still has some proving himself to do. Barath had done pretty much all you can do in the West Indies domestic tournament before he got called up. Bravo had one successful FC season, and that's why he averages 33podd. Barath was almost at 50 when he was called up.

And as I said, Deonarine is just about ready for a run in the team. But I'd actually sooner advocate him replacing Sarwan than Chanderpaul or Nash.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You're talking about dropping the two most solid batsmen in the side for "youngsters"! In terms of Deonarine as a youngster, in the grand scheme of international cricket he definitely is one.

And from the start my point has always been that Bravo is nowhere near to ready. Darren Bravo is nowhere near at the same level as Barath in terms of preparedness. Barath was vastly more successful and around the team for longer. Bravo still has some proving himself to do. Barath had done pretty much all you can do in the West Indies domestic tournament before he got called up. Bravo had one successful FC season, and that's why he averages 33podd. Barath was almost at 50 when he was called up.

And as I said, Deonarine is just about ready for a run in the team. But I'd actually sooner advocate him replacing Sarwan than Chanderpaul or Nash.
Deonarine played test cricket before the Aussie tests so no he's not a "youngster in the grand scheme of things", he's a man who's got plenty experience, was the best batter in the last domestic season and is taking his chance now, like i said before just how long do you expect Chanders to go on for? until he's 40? 8-) the only way we are gonna move forward is by trying new things and giving some of our young talent a chance imo, yes Chanders is a hero i won't deny that but if he's clearly off form how long do you give him? or should he be included just because he's one of our "big names"? that's not how it should work,

You know it's funny how you wouldn't have Benn in the side even though he was very good in his last test but yet you're more than happy to keep Chanders in the side despite the fact that he hasn't been good for about a year, that sounds like a contradiction to me, i explained my veiw on Nash too, he's just too slow with the runs and more often than not it hurts our chances, if he stays in the side then good luck to him but that doesn't mean we shouldn't consider other options.

Craig

World Traveller
If Chanderpaul is still scoring runs, why can't he go on until he is 40? Is there anybody scoring so many runs that are banging the door down so hard that the selectors have to let him in, or is this just based on 'potential'?

There is nothing with Nash scoring at a slower rate, it's Test cricket, not T20. He also offers something in the field as well.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If Chanderpaul is still scoring runs, why can't he go on until he is 40? Is there anybody scoring so many runs that are banging the door down so hard that the selectors have to let him in, or is this just based on 'potential'?

There is nothing with Nash scoring at a slower rate, it's Test cricket, not T20. He also offers something in the field as well.
When him and Deonarine created a partnership in the in the 2nd test it went well at the start but in the end the guy didn't score a run for about 40 minuets, he just left all the work to Deonarine and of course in the end it proved costly, all i'm saying is if it's a choice between Deonarine and Nash i'd pick the former because he offers more spin to our bowling attack, i've got nothing against Nash, as for Chanders, if he was scoring runs we wouldn't be having this debate would we? the fact is right now he's struggling and there's only so long you can pick someone just because of their past heroics.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If Deonarine had the mental ability he would have stayed out there, end of.
And what about Nash standing like a damn statue at the crease afraid to touch the ball? :laugh: even that idiot Shane Watson clapped him when he finally got a run on the board after about an hour of putting all the pressure on Deonarine, it was ridiculous and not something you'd expect from a 32 year old Aussie veteran.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
And what about Nash standing like a damn statue at the crease afraid to touch the ball? :laugh: even that idiot Shane Watson clapped him when he finally got a run on the board after about an hour of putting all the pressure on Deonarine, it was ridiculous and not something you'd expect from a 32 year old Aussie veteran.
He didn't get out causing a collapse though did he? Runs would have come eventually if Deonarine had stuck it out.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He didn't get out causing a collapse though did he? Runs would have come eventually if Deonarine had stuck it out.
Well someone had to take a risk surely? if Deonarine would have done what Nash did the game would have become a farce, it was almost as if Nash proving something to the Aussies was more important than us winning a game we was dominating, his performance was poor imo and Deonarine looks like he's got more shots in his arsenal.

Craig

World Traveller
Anyway FWIW, IMO Chanderpaul has done enough over the years to have some credit in the bank, instead of throwing him to the wolves after two poor Tests. As I said, is there anybody in the Caribbean banging on the door loud enough to threaten Chanders spot?

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Nash
Bravo
Ramdin
Benn
Taylor
Edwards/Rampaul
Roach

That is not a bad line up Test wise.

As for Darren Bravo, calling him the next Brian Lara (TBF I mean that in a 3rd person sense, not strictly your words per se), well obviously I have never seen him bat, but that does sound like a big call, considering he only averages 33 in FC cricket. Plenty of English all-rounders were given the tag of the next 'Botham', and look at how well that worked out? Or the countless Brazilian or Argentine footballers have been dubbed the next Pele or Maradona?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Anyway FWIW, IMO Chanderpaul has done enough over the years to have some credit in the bank, instead of throwing him to the wolves after two poor Tests. As I said, is there anybody in the Caribbean banging on the door loud enough to threaten Chanders spot?

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Nash
Bravo
Ramdin
Benn
Taylor
Edwards/Rampaul
Roach

That is not a bad line up Test wise.

As for Darren Bravo, calling him the next Brian Lara (TBF I mean that in a 3rd person sense, not strictly your words per se), well obviously I have never seen him bat, but that does sound like a big call, considering he only averages 33 in FC cricket. Plenty of English all-rounders were given the tag of the next 'Botham', and look at how well that worked out? Or the countless Brazilian or Argentine footballers have been dubbed the next Pele or Maradona?
I know Chanders has done wonders for us, basically carried us on his shoulders for a good few years but there comes a time when you have to try new things, he's off form and he's getting injuries now, why not leave him out of the next test and see what happens? if no-one steps into his shoes then fair enough bring him back but we'll never know one way or the other if we don't try it, like i said i'd give his spot to Bravo or if we keep Nash in the side give it to Deonarine, Bravo might not have set the world on fire at FC level but believe me he's got all the shots in the book and it's not "if" he plays for the Windies it's "when" IMO.