• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

australia to expand season by 2 months

brockley

International Captain
If he even cared for sheffield shield cricket he would play it.
Whenever australia doesn't play,he still doesn't play shield cricket.
If he cared so much for the game he would,it worked for cricketers 20 years ago why now.
Cricket australia wants to further the game in australia,what is ponting offering other than criciticisms,what are his solutions.
If he even dared to play shield cricket then yes he could comment on it,but he doesn't he is just a snob,and should stay out of the running of the game.

brockley

International Captain
I don't know why he is complaining he got a big top up to his contract,even tho he will not play 20/20 now does less media,and all in a recession when people are taking a pay cut.
The guy is a whinger.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If he cared so much for the game he would,it worked for cricketers 20 years ago why now.
Cricket australia wants to further the game in australia,what is ponting offering other than criciticisms,what are his solutions.
If he even dared to play shield cricket then yes he could comment on it,but he doesn't he is just a snob,and should stay out of the running of the game.
Umm... Cricket Australia are very strict as to when Internationals can play Shield cricket, they purposely keep Ponting and most other (fixed) international representatives rested.

Towards the end of his career, I think Steve Waugh played very few state games.

Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Johnson, Hauritz, and Watson haven't played First Class cricket this summer, or only a game or 2. CA rests them so they don't get burnt out.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dunno what he's on about with players missing out on a cricketing 'education' by playing elsewhere. In my experience, NT pitches tend to be pretty bloody varied.

I don't know why he is complaining he got a big top up to his contract,even tho he will not play 20/20 now does less media,and all in a recession when people are taking a pay cut.
The guy is a whinger.

Ponting is the Australian captain and his job requires him to take an active role in the preperation of players coming through the system.

I dont see where he is whinging as this is only a suggestion from Cox and even though the thread indicates that the season will be extended by two months the fact is it is only a proposal and Ponting has every right to voice his opinion.

Its up to you if you agree or disagree with the proposal but to call Ponting a hypocrite and /or a whinger makes no sense.

brockley

International Captain
My point is its cricket australias job to make money to pay players like him even bigger money.
last year the players whinged they wanted a pay rise in a recession and they wanted les media spots.
If cricket australia are to make more money to pay the likes of ricky ponting more money they have to do something.
How is cricket australia meant to do it without making commercial decisions that are valid,and ponting whinged that shield would be cut,now cricket australia makes changes to accomadate this and he still whinges.
Ricky is the first to cry for a pay rise for players.
Look at brett lee and nathan brakken got 6 figure contracts and they hardly played any cricket and its not as if they're fit.
If ricky even played sheffield shield cricket rather than living in sydney i would understand,its not as if he has to play in cairns,townsville or darwin.
I mean he is the top paying player and he doesn't even play 20/20 cricket,as it is the media is calling him to be rested and hes' only scored runs in one test.
Its just ludicrous.
Put up or shut up ricky,if you want the system fixed then join the board.

Last edited:
My point is its cricket australias job to make money to pay players like him even bigger money.
last year the players whinged they wanted a pay rise in a recession and they wanted les media spots.
If cricket australia are to make more money to pay the likes of ricky ponting more money they have to do something.
How is cricket australia meant to do it without making commercial decisions that are valid,and ponting whinged that shield would be cut,now cricket australia makes changes to accomadate this and he still whinges.
Ricky is the first to cry for a pay rise for players.
Look at brett lee and nathan brakken got 6 figure contracts and they hardly played any cricket and its not as if they're fit.
If ricky even played sheffield shield cricket rather than living in sydney i would understand,its not as if he has to play in cairns,townsville or darwin.
I mean he is the top paying player and he doesn't even play 20/20 cricket,as it is the media is calling him to be rested and hes' only scored runs in one test.
Its just ludicrous.
Put up or shut up ricky,if you want the system fixed then join the board.
I dont get your point, Ponting has every right ot comment on matters relating to australian cricket. Are you just upset Ponting gets paid so much.

Spikey

Would rather play the Mercantile Mutual Cup (Ford Ranger Cup...pffffft no way 8-)) in August than the Shield tbh...

brockley

International Captain
I think start the shield in august and the one dayers mid september.Perfect.
No one goes to the shield anyway and abc will still cover it,no worries.

brockley

International Captain
I think ricky should spend more time on getting some runs than with the administration of the game,its obvious he has no solutions so why comment,all i know is ricky wants a raise without even knowing how cricket australia is going pay for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How many times does that happen per season?

With current international schedules internationals in both formats have precious little chance to play domestic cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How many times does that happen per season?

With current international schedules internationals in both formats have precious little chance to play domestic cricket.
And if I was on the Cricket Australia board, with the Australian schedule between October 2008 and September 2009, the last thing I'd want one of my key players to be doing is playing Shield cricket.

One thing that should be looked at is matching up the domestic schedule with the international schedule, IMO it's no good the domestic cricketers playing Big Bash in the middle of a Test series.

Simon

And if I was on the Cricket Australia board, with the Australian schedule between October 2008 and September 2009, the last thing I'd want one of my key players to be doing is playing Shield cricket.

One thing that should be looked at is matching up the domestic schedule with the international schedule, IMO it's no good the domestic cricketers playing Big Bash in the middle of a Test series.
From a players point of view (e.g trying to show form to get into the test team) having the Big Bash where it is isnt that ideal. But it's about making money and getting people through the gates so having the competition over the holiday period when people are off work etc... is the only way to go.

brockley

International Captain
The want to parrallel sucess with afl and nrl by expanding the kfc cup,could bring in a lot of revenue,can't blame them really.
Personally i'd cut the ford ranger cup games back to 5 each.
But don't mind the idea of an 8 month season.
They actually may get some crowds in townsville,cairns and drawin,its top class cricket.

Last edited: