• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoff Boycott's rant

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Try as I might, I can find very little to disagree with Boycott over with respect to the article.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Try as I might, I can find very little to disagree with Boycott over with respect to the article.
True, he's got some valid points, though people will just pass them off as insane ramblinglings from a senile old madman.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
True, he's got some valid points, though people will just pass them off as insane ramblinglings from a senile old madman.
As opposed to the England selection (which is the collective insane ramblings from a group of senile old madmen)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
As opposed to the England selection (which is the collective insane ramblings from a group of senile old madmen)
Can't argue with you there

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Eddie's Geoff Boycott in disguise?!

Bazza

International 12th Man
I find it hard to ever disagree with Boycott. I really wish he'd had a role to play in England coaching/managing/selecting at some stage. He tells it like it is and has the tough approach of the Aussies.

Like I say he has a point, whenever England did well it was because of Hussain/Fletcher, whenever we did badly it was because of Hussain. Now Vaughan has taken over and is straight in the firing line.

Was it Boycott who said about Vaughan being too soft and that captain by committee didn't work? He has a point there.

Also good point about Vaughan having a say in selections. The captain should pick the team he wants, the coach should help the players selected with their technique and mental approach.

And it's true about Anderson's inexperience/players play too little nowadays - the central contract idea has gone too far.

And it's true results against Zimbabwe meant nothing. As the man says, the only test this summer was a big series against SA and so far we've made a right botch job of that.

So I guess this is a long winded way of agreeing with Eddie - Boycs knows what he's talking about but never gets listened to. I miss him. I hope whoever gets the next TV contract can persuade get him as a commentator! :D

V Reddy

International Debutant
Bazza said:
I miss him. I hope whoever gets the next TV contract can persuade get him as a commentator! :D
He is contracted by ESPN - STAR Sports. He is set to do live commentry during India's tour of AUS. Since the WC he has been doing telephonic reviews of most of the matches. He has done for the entire WC and the two Natwest Series.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well that's true! I don't think it will happen though.

Vish, I meant something we will see in England!

Did anyone see Nasser Hussain's interview last night? He disagreed with Boycs over the Fletcher issue, saying Duncan was the best coach he had ever worked with. That's a big compliment coming from someone who has captained England.

Then again, he did say that Geoffrey just cared about English cricket, and that he was a very respected authority on cricket, especially in England, and that he has worked with Boycott in the past. He said Boycs' knowledge of batting is almost second to none. Again this is high praise coming from someone who played with Goochie, and also backs up Craig's statement that he would make an excellent coach for us.

Craig

World Traveller
I know Boycott worked with Mike Atherton in 1990 and and it really improved Athers batting.