• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst team to tour Australia

Craig

World Traveller
Since 1999/00, and I won't include the tours of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, not that I don't consider them to be worthy of Test status, but really nobody could expect much out of them anyway. Also it is Tests only.

I always considered the West Indies team that toured in 00/01 to be a shocking team, now before Liam Camps jumps in, I'm not saying that the all players were bad, but their performances as a team left a lot to be desired. Courtney Walsh was on his last legs as a bowler, and they were just so comprehensively, admittely that Australian team was one of the best ever. Not much can be said of the team that toured in the 05/06 season either.

But the Pakistan team in their most recent Test series against Australia is almost ready to take the cake, that was a pretty weak, spineless effort, and whatever match performance payments they might be on, they would of been overpaid. They have a Test standard bowling attack (Asif, Aamer, Gul, Kaneria, and Sami can be good, depending which Sami turns up which is not often), some decent batters, a great young prospect (Umer Akmal), but they just could not do the basics right (from fielding to running between the wickets), and not playing as a team either, team unity, what is that? They were outplayed in Melbourne and Hobart and by rights should of won in Sydney, but they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Of course a certain Ashes Tour in 06/07 by a certain team in the Northern Hemisphere wasn't particulary good either. Hey Harmison, landing the ball on the pitch helps.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England 06-07 <<<< this Pakistan team imo. If it wasn't England, it would have been sad. Instead it was hilarious.

Lostman

State Captain
England 06-07 <<<< this Pakistan team imo. If it wasn't England, it would have been sad. Instead it was hilarious.
ha ha the thing i found most amusing is that 06 is almost non-existent in the media.
Its like the ashes are every 4 years, 05 and 09.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If this Pakistani team had played 5 tests, I suspect they'd have been the worst by a long way. As it is, its hard to go past a 5 - 0 scoreline. England's competitiveness and subsequent collapse is pretty equal to Pakistan's capitulation at Sydney.

On paper, where no real matches are played, I suspect that the West Indian team that had to throw in a couple of untried players ahead of Chanderpaul and Sarwan, and were lacking a couple of their fast bowling first options (Taylor & Edwards) is probably 'the worst' team.

pasag

RTDAS
Yet if they would have held all their catches they could have won the Test series. What does that say about Aus?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Worst team combined to play at least 3 matches:

Jaffer
Ganga
Sinclair
Key
J Adams (c)
C White
G Jones (wk)
Rampaul
Anderson
Powell
Nehra

Howsie

International Captain
1.Redmond
2.How
3.Ryder
4.Taylor
5.McCullum
6.Flynn
7.Elliott
8.Vettori
9.Southee
10.O'Brien
11.Martin

That's a pretty bad team IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
1.Redmond
2.How
3.Ryder
4.Taylor
5.McCullum
6.Flynn
7.Elliott
8.Vettori
9.Southee
10.O'Brien
11.Martin

That's a pretty bad team IMO.
Fortunately for us Taylor ground out some runs and Southee bowled a bloody great spell.

R_D

International Debutant
India 1999-2000 and West Indies 2000-2001 more pitiful.
Yeah that Indian team was one of the worst ever probabaly both in terms of performance and on paper... i think they won 1 ODI match in the 3 month tour of Australia. Might have been a draw or 2 in tour matches but not sure.

That was the only time i've been in Aus when India has toured Australia as well :(

Francis

State Vice-Captain
If you believe what Don Bradman says, the South African team that toured Australia in the early 30s was the worst side to visit Australia ever. I believe Bradman averaged 201.5 in that series.

"I'm Alan Jones"

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
MSK Prasad†
VVS Laxman
R Dravid
SR Tendulkar*
SC Ganguly

HH Kanitkar
R Vijay Bharadwaj
A Kumble
AB Agarkar
J Srinath
BKV Prasad

seems ok, what happened to this team back then ?

Sir Alex

Banned
MSK Prasad†
VVS Laxman
R Dravid
SR Tendulkar*
SC Ganguly

HH Kanitkar
R Vijay Bharadwaj
A Kumble
AB Agarkar
J Srinath
BKV Prasad

Dravid was dire in that series. Laxman was dire till the Sydney test where he played a gem. Prasad, Agarkar were generally poor bowlers and Kumble did not get much returns from the Aussie pitces.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
MSK Prasad†
VVS Laxman
R Dravid
SR Tendulkar*
SC Ganguly

HH Kanitkar
R Vijay Bharadwaj
A Kumble
AB Agarkar
J Srinath
BKV Prasad

It looks okay on paper, but it wasn't. The mediocre half of the team didn't have enough to even play a supporting role to the quality half, not that the latter put in great performances themselves. Tendulkar and Laxman were the only ones to score a century. The team was so dire that the BCCI secretary predicted a 3-0 whitewash even before the team left Indian shores :laugh:

Craig

World Traveller
Dravid was dire in that series. Laxman was dire till the Sydney test where he played a gem. Prasad, Agarkar were generally poor bowlers and Kumble did not get much returns from the Aussie pitces.
Our rather Laxman only played a good innings when the pressure was off. Mind you he was forced to open, so that didn't help his cause.

Sir Alex

Banned
Our rather Laxman only played a good innings when the pressure was off. Mind you he was forced to open, so that didn't help his cause.
That is another way of putting it. Tendulkar played magnificiently in that series. But for atleast one terrible lbw decision and an unsuppoting lower order which meant he invariably went on aggressive and lost his wicket, he would have finished with much better figures. Still it was good enough to fetch him Man of the Series award.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is another way of putting it. Tendulkar played magnificiently in that series. But for atleast one terrible lbw decision and an unsuppoting lower order which meant he invariably went on aggressive and lost his wicket, he would have finished with much better figures. Still it was good enough to fetch him Man of the Series award.
I feel the same about Warne in India - lack of support in 98, was injured, a few bad calls. What do you think mate, or is it just making excuses? I think as a forum we need to discuss it more :ph34r:

Last edited: