SR Tendulkar*
    SC Ganguly

HH Kanitkar
    R Vijay Bharadwaj
    A Kumble
    AB Agarkar
    J Srinath
    BKV Prasad

seems ok, what happened to this team back then ?
    It looks okay on paper, but it wasn't. The mediocre half of the team didn't have enough to even play a supporting role to the quality half, not that the latter put in great performances themselves. Tendulkar and Laxman were the only ones to score a century. The team was so dire that the BCCI secretary predicted a 3-0 whitewash even before the team left Indian shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Dravid was dire in that series. Laxman was dire till the Sydney test where he played a gem. Prasad, Agarkar were generally poor bowlers and Kumble did not get much returns from the Aussie pitces.
    Our rather Laxman only played a good innings when the pressure was off. Mind you he was forced to open, so that didn't help his cause.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Our rather Laxman only played a good innings when the pressure was off. Mind you he was forced to open, so that didn't help his cause.
    That is another way of putting it. Tendulkar played magnificiently in that series. But for atleast one terrible lbw decision and an unsuppoting lower order which meant he invariably went on aggressive and lost his wicket, he would have finished with much better figures. Still it was good enough to fetch him Man of the Series award.

It was Tendulkar vs. Australia really. Ganguly was okay.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    That is another way of putting it. Tendulkar played magnificiently in that series. But for atleast one terrible lbw decision and an unsuppoting lower order which meant he invariably went on aggressive and lost his wicket, he would have finished with much better figures. Still it was good enough to fetch him Man of the Series award.
    I feel the same about Warne in India - lack of support in 98, was injured, a few bad calls. What do you think mate, or is it just making excuses? I think as a forum we need to discuss it more
    Last edited by Burgey; 25-01-2010 at 01:39 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I feel the same about Warne in India - lack of support in 98, was injured, a few bad calls. What do you think mate, or is it just making excuses? I think as a forum we need to discuss it more
    No.

Don't think the worst team to tour is necessarily the team who has performed the worst whilst on tour, if you catch my drift? I would say the Indian team of 00, WI of 00 and England 06/07 were better teams than WI 09, but their performances in the series in question were pitiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

International 12th Man
    Graeme Smith 2005/06.

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Hahaha MSK Prasad....the launching pad for Brett Lee's test career.

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Don't think the worst team to tour is necessarily the team who has performed the worst whilst on tour, if you catch my drift? I would say the Indian team of 00, WI of 00 and England 06/07 were better teams than WI 09, but their performances in the series in question were pitiful.
    After their hiding in Brisbane, I really did think the West Indies played well in the series(after Brisbane, I watched most of the Adelaide Test, and bits and pieces of the Perth Test). Certainly Adelaide they played very well.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    West Indies in 2000/2001 by far the worst visiting team.

Put up a fight during a number of periods, but were completely woeful for the vast majority of the five Test series. Ganga and Cambell provided a guaranteed early breakthrough. Lara was in shocking form (bar one innings), and was totally disinterested in the game. The middle order of Hinds, Samuals, Sarwan and Adams consisted of zero fight or run scoring ability the entire series, and Marlon Black and Nixon Mclean ended up bowling the vast majority of overs during the series. Walsh was brave, but was bowling at best low 130k's.

Prefer to never think of that series again. Good watching for a Funky Miller fan though.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Is this worst team or worst performance? As pointed-out, the India team of 1999/2000 was certainly a far from poor side - only MSK Prasad and Vijay Bharadwaj were genuine "prank" Test cricketers who clearly didn't deserve to be there. But for a team so packed with quality, their performance was diabolical.

In terms of the worst side, the WI side of 2005/06 was comfortably lesser than that of 2000/01 - the only difference is it was a five-Test series in the former and merely three in the latter. A three-nil whitewash with all three games back-to-back is over much quicker than a five-nil one and is thus more promptly forgotten. The 2000/01 side, while poor, had plenty of players who had been real quality and were still to some extent so (Campbell, Lara, Walsh), as well as some who were completely past it (Adams). The only players who simply did not belong at all in 2000/01 were Marlon Black and Daren Ganga - and even Ganga went on to have his moments and has the mitigation of being pushed out of position in that series.

Worst performance the 2000/01 WI and 1999/2000 India sides are probably contenders, but so is the 2006/07 England one. Purely because they were bettered but far from completely outclassed and should not have lost by such large margins as they ended-up doing. But worst side, has to be WI 2005/06 or Pak 2009/10 (with the Pakistani fielding playing a considerable part in that).
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Julian87 View Post
    Hahaha MSK Prasad....the launching pad for Brett Lee's test career.
    I remember watching an emerging players' tournament being played out in Los Angeles just before that series. Lee was terrifyingly quick and accurate. Knew he was going to run through the side as soon as the Indian and Australian sides were announced. I think he ended up with an average of 16 or thereabouts.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Lee averaged 16.07 in his first 7(?) Tests. Perhaps not coincidentally, 4 of those 7 came in the aforementioned India 1999/2000 and WI 2000/01 series'. I've always wished I'd watched those series', however, because it really fascinates me whether Lee honestly did bowl superlatively and then just lost it completely after his elbow injury, or whether he was just bowling every bit as woefully as he generally did 2001-2006/07 and getting bad batting flattering his figures.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    ha ha the thing i found most amusing is that 06 is almost non-existent in the media.
    Its like the ashes are every 4 years, 05 and 09.
    They are.

The title says 'worst team' so I don't think either our 06-07 effort, or Pakistan's this year can come into it. I also find it a little simplistic to say that 5-0 takes some beating, as we were up against arguably the best team ever and they happened to be up for it more than ever.

I don't know which team is the worst I've seen in Australia but I've seen plenty of teams worse than those two. Pretty poor performances though, particularly from England in Melbourne and Sydney. The players should have been forced to pay the fans' airfare after that shambles.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information