• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you bowl to...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alright- someone name a particular batsman, and we can talk a bit about what you think is a good way to bowl to them. Then when it dies we can name another player and talk about how to bowl to them.

Virender Sehwag

Top_Cat

Geezus, if you're relying on bowling magic balls like those to knock someone over, better give up now. Or, if you can, please sign up with a Test side immediately!

Uppercut

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Iain O'Brien got Sehwag in the third test this time last year with a ball that pitched back of a length and moved back into him. I think that could be exploited more. It's well-documented that he picks the ball on length, and he tries to cut anything on the stumps. I think you could have some success cramping him for room.

That said, on some days, it doesn't especially matter where you bowl to him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bringing it back into the right hand albeit at express pace. I'm some bowler. :laugh:

YouTube - Virender Sehwag's off-stump uprooted by Shoaib Akhtar

Think with Sehwag you want to target off-stump or just outside. I wouldn't want to be bowling anywhere near middle (unless I've got the magic ball) and definitely don't want to be bowling full or indeed short in India. The four examples all have a similar length, which is perfect as he doesn't know whether to come forward or go back.

If I was a spinner, my plan would be simple, let Sehwag's ego do himself in.

Top_Cat

Bringing it back into the right hand albeit at express pace. I'm some bowler. :laugh:

YouTube - Virender Sehwag's off-stump uprooted by Shoaib Akhtar

Think with Sehwag you want to target off-stump or just outside. I wouldn't want to be bowling anywhere near middle (unless I've got the magic ball) and definitely don't want to be bowling full or indeed short in India. The four examples all have a similar length, which is perfect as he doesn't know whether to come forward or go back.
Yeah but I guess my point is that those balls would work against just about any batter. But they're obviously incredibly difficult to get right. As you said, stray onto middle and he'll nail you off his pads. Too short and he'll bash you off the back-foot.

Myself I'd be looking to vary my pace and before going for the knockout ball, try to stop him getting into rhythm. Might also try to pin him to the crease before throwing it up there and moving it away. Might combine varied pace with full movement away too, try to draw him away from his body. Last thing I want is for him thinking he'll have pace to work with or having a good idea of where the next ball is going to be.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
TT Boy summed it up. Hard to bowl those deliveries though.

About 5 years ago bowling short at the body was pretty effective as well.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Don't give him any width at all.
  2. Don't bowl on his pads.
  3. Best would be a nice off stump line, at an awkward height.

Really easy to say though, but hard to pull off consistently. Generally, if the conditions are not offering you assistance, you have to bowl defensively or back your ability to produce a great ball. If the conditions are offering you assistance, get him to drive as much as you can, even if you go for some runs, and considering his lack of footwork, he'll likely edge one sooner or later.

Sir Alex

Banned
Sehwag has always struggled against inswinging deliveries pitched up due to his huge backlift and hence early on in his innings his body is stiff and hence cannot bring down the bat in time. It was evident when Brett Lee got him in last years' ODIs.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag would take me apart. At that level I would now be nothing more than medium quick and I dont do much with the ball. I guess Id look to vary the pace and occassionally try and get him on the back foot to mix it up. TBH, I cant see much apart from carnage.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
OK, so what about Michael Hussey?

Get a spin bowler, bowl straight, he'll get out and pretend it turned from leg to off. :ph34r:

Yuvraj Singh?

Bowl.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If I was a spinner, my plan would be simple, let Sehwag's ego do himself in.
Much more likely he'd do your average in long before doing himself in. Sehwag is the most brutal player of spin that I've ever seen. Not the best, but close, and definitely the most brutal. Bowling spin against him is the last thing I'd do as an opposition captain. He'd be more likely to do himself in facing a part time pace bowler.

As an aside, the player who played spin better than any player I've ever seen in India was Andy Flower - he was dominating. Lara and Tendulkar both tied for best players of spin I've seen live.

Last edited: