Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Sweeping changes ahead for Austalia.

  1. #1
    State Vice-Captain slugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,053

    Sweeping changes ahead for Austalia.

    Bigger bash but what about baggy green?

    20/20 teams to be city based eg. Perth, Brisbane... in the 2011/12 comp.

  2. #2
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,094
    We've all heard the argument as to why Australian cricket is stronger due to competition for a place in the domestic team, and 6 teams fits perfectly for that. Twenty20 should be treated as what it is - hit and giggle for the crowds, and it shouldn't be taken so seriously.

    Keep the state sides. I'd prefer to see NSW vs Victoria than Perth vs Gold Coast any day. Australian cricket has always been State vs State and should stay that way. As stated in the article, Brad Hodge may end up playing for Sydney or Perth, and that wouldn't be good for him nor his fans. They'd be torn between supporting the Melbourne team and one of their favourite batsmen. It just wouldn't work.

    And then they might have to cut back the Sheffield Shield, which is ridiculous. Test cricket is and always should be the premier form of the game, not this Twenty20 rubbish, and we should be focussing on getting players to the baggy green, not an IPL franchise.

    Don't like the idea at all.
    [/traditionalist rant]
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

  3. #3
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    4,291
    The people will come.
    Many of the crowds are non traditional cricket fans,whilst the traditional fans will come in too.
    The stars will be there,and it will still be the bash.
    Plus a lot of new exciting players.
    New venues like canberra which will get crowds.

  4. #4
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    The people will come.
    Many of the crowds are non traditional cricket fans,whilst the traditional fans will come in too.
    The stars will be there,and it will still be the bash.
    Plus a lot of new exciting players.
    New venues like canberra which will get crowds.
    They got 41,000 for Victoria vs Queensland (or whatever), 29,000 for NSW vs Queensland and nearly that same amount for NSW vs SA. The people are turning up already, there aren't many more who would go to a domestic game. And surely NSW vs Queensland would draw more than Brisbane vs Sydney. It sounds like a Grade game, not FC cricket.

    Yeah, the stars will be there, but I'm not convinced it would improve the quality of cricket. Think about it, if NSW had all of their international stars, guys like Moises Henriques, Mitch Starc, Josh Hazelwood, Usman Khawaja and Ben Rohrer wouldn't gat a game. I still think that the exciting, young players from each state make the Big Bash what it is.

    Yeah, there'll be new players, but really, would a Victorian batsman playing for Sydney really have his heart in it? Would Brad Hodge want to play for Brisbane, after making Victorian cricket what it is over the last 15 years? Why not keep the teams together, where they play better through knowing one another's strengths and weaknesses.

    They could easily move a NSW game to Canberra, a SA Game to Alice Springs, a WA game to Darwin and a QLD game to Cairns. You have 17 games in total, more than enough to share around the venues.

    If they want to, go ahead and expand the T20 competition, but leave the teams the same and don't make the Sheffield Shield suffer because of it. They're overcomplicating the whole issue. There's nothing broken, so why fix it?


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,053
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    They got 41,000 for Victoria vs Queensland (or whatever), 29,000 for NSW vs Queensland and nearly that same amount for NSW vs SA. The people are turning up already, there aren't many more who would go to a domestic game. And surely NSW vs Queensland would draw more than Brisbane vs Sydney. It sounds like a Grade game, not FC cricket.

    Yeah, the stars will be there, but I'm not convinced it would improve the quality of cricket. Think about it, if NSW had all of their international stars, guys like Moises Henriques, Mitch Starc, Josh Hazelwood, Usman Khawaja and Ben Rohrer wouldn't gat a game. I still think that the exciting, young players from each state make the Big Bash what it is.

    Yeah, there'll be new players, but really, would a Victorian batsman playing for Sydney really have his heart in it? Would Brad Hodge want to play for Brisbane, after making Victorian cricket what it is over the last 15 years? Why not keep the teams together, where they play better through knowing one another's strengths and weaknesses.

    They could easily move a NSW game to Canberra, a SA Game to Alice Springs, a WA game to Darwin and a QLD game to Cairns. You have 17 games in total, more than enough to share around the venues.

    If they want to, go ahead and expand the T20 competition, but leave the teams the same and don't make the Sheffield Shield suffer because of it. They're overcomplicating the whole issue. There's nothing broken, so why fix it?
    In light of crowd numbers other state cricket and Tests the last few years, have no idea how you can draw that conclusion.

    Disagree that players in other teams wouldn't have their hearts in it either. You're essentially saying that Afridi, Pollard, Rana, etc. don't have their hearts in it because it's not their home team. Think they're all amongst the best players this year (Afridi probably hasn't done as much with the bat as he'd like this year but has been excellent with the ball) so I'm guessing they're putting in. The whole state of origin thing is overblow, tbh. Doesn't seem to hurt AFL and, in fact, state of origin football died because no-one was coming to the games.

    Think this is a reflection of your attitude towards the game, that it's hit and giggle stuff. It's getting taken more and more seriously by players and crowds alike I think you'll find. Blokes like Clarke and Ponting come across more as dinosaurs than defenders of the baggy green with their casual attitude towards it.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 21-01-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  6. #6
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    In light of crowd numbers other state cricket and Tests the last few years, have no idea how you can draw that conclusion.

    Disagree that players in other teams wouldn't have their hearts in it either. You're essentially saying that Afridi, Pollard, Rana, etc. don't have their hearts in it because it's not their home team. Think they're all amongst the best players this year (Afridi probably hasn't done as much with the bat as he'd like this year but has been excellent with the ball) so I'm guessing they're putting in. The whole state of origin thing is overblow, tbh. Doesn't seem to hurt AFL and, in fact, state of origin football died because no-one was coming to the games.

    Think this is a reflection of your attitude towards the game, that it's hit and giggle stuff. It's getting taken more and more seriously by players and crowds alike I think you'll find. Blokes like Clarke and Ponting come across more as dinosaurs than defenders of the baggy green with their casual attitude towards it.
    Shield games are never going to draw crowds, its been that way for longer than most can remember. But a lack of crowd numbers doesn't mean they aren't important. If we put Twenty20 interests ahead of Shield interests, we're putting Test cricket 2nd in the long run. We need the full home-and-away Shield calendar to keep the Test depth there. And weren't test numbers pretty good this year, considering that WI and Pakistan series' aren't the biggest.

    Yeah, but half the AFL clubs are Victorian anyhow, and State of Origin is by no means dead. 80,000+ per game isn't too shabby... I think I lose this argument...

    Yep, it is my attitude, and isn't the whole point of these forums to express attitudes and opinions and discuss them? I understand people are taking it more seriously, I just think there's a difference between taking it seriously and overkill.

    If CA's planners can find time for a full home-and-away T20 schedule, I'm all for it. As much as I don't like it, it is the future of the game. I just don't want Test cricket to suffer because of it. Extend the season if you have to, run it from October through April if you want, just don't jeopardise the Sheffield Shield and the future of Australia in Test cricket for some extra cash.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,053
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    If we put Twenty20 interests ahead of Shield interests, we're putting Test cricket 2nd in the long run.
    True but I don't think that's happening. That said, something to keep in mind for sure.

    To be honest, I'm hopeful we'll see more people coming through the gate for Shield/FRC games with local players getting more exposure through the Big Bash. Would be fantastic if that happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    We need the full home-and-away Shield calendar to keep the Test depth there. And weren't test numbers pretty good this year, considering that WI and Pakistan series' aren't the biggest.
    Some days, yeah. It's a far cry from when crowd numbers were good no matter who OZ were playing, though. They were winning more, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Yep, it is my attitude, and isn't the whole point of these forums to express attitudes and opinions and discuss them?
    Haha, yeah wasn't having a go at your attitude just commenting on your attitude towards T20. TBH, hate how that word is always used negatively these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    If CA's planners can find time for a full home-and-away T20 schedule, I'm all for it. As much as I don't like it, it is the future of the game. I just don't want Test cricket to suffer because of it. Extend the season if you have to, run it from October through April if you want, just don't jeopardise the Sheffield Shield and the future of Australia in Test cricket for some extra cash.
    Yep. I just don't think that's happening yet. The death of 5-Test series against anyone not named England is a bit annoying but, tbh, very few others lived up to the billing so I think CA are just being smart about it. That said, I don't think any series being played permanently be designated 3-Tests only. OZ vs India really could make for an entertaining 5-Test series and, if it fits in, should be considered.

  8. #8
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    True but I don't think that's happening. That said, something to keep in mind for sure.
    Yeah, as soon as we do that we're in real trouble. Test cricket has to stay #1, even if T20 brings in the money for the boards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    To be honest, I'm hopeful we'll see more people coming through the gate for Shield/FRC games with local players getting more exposure through the Big Bash. Would be fantastic if that happened.
    Yeah, that's the positive of the Big Bash. I went to the NSW/QLD game, and despite it being shortened by rain, it really opened up a couple of my friends eyes towards guys like Khawaja and Starc. I already knew about them, being a part of this, but they didn't and now they can see the next generation of Australian cricketers. My attitude to T20 shifted after seeing these plans. Its a bit of fun to go to and introduce new people, but the resources should go where it really matters - improving tests.


    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Some days, yeah. It's a far cry from when crowd numbers were good no matter who OZ were playing, though. They were winning more, though.
    Going back to the mid-70's, the crowd behaviour rules were more relaxed, so people were bringing in beer, doing mexican waves and having fun. However, now, they've tightened it all up and people tend to enjoy themselves less. I think that was the thing with that T20 game I attended, security threw beach balls back, the mexican waves were happening and nobody was all that bothered. At Tests though, they take a much more serious approach. It isn't receptive to crowd numbers. And back then, Australia was successful, but the Windies, India, England and whoever else came over were always competitive, and the crowds loved them for it.

    Then in the 2000s we dominated everyone, and the crowds loved it. But now its getting competitive again and nobody is used to seeing Australia fight. Once they realise how good the cricket becomes, numbers should increase again. The Sydney, Hobart and Perth Tests from this year are perfect examples. Australia won all of them, but they looked in serious trouble in Sydney and Hobart, and the Windies pushed them to the limit in WA, and as far as I know the crowds loved it. It was great cricket.


    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Haha, yeah wasn't having a go at your attitude just commenting on your attitude towards T20. TBH, hate how that word is always used negatively these days.
    Yeah, that's how I meant to respond to it. And I agree about the negativity surrounding it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yep. I just don't think that's happening yet. The death of 5-Test series against anyone not named England is a bit annoying but, tbh, very few others lived up to the billing so I think CA are just being smart about it. That said, I don't think any series being played permanently be designated 3-Tests only. OZ vs India really could make for an entertaining 5-Test series and, if it fits in, should be considered.
    Yeah, With the competitive cricket now, the India and South Africa series, at the least, should be 5 tests. Its just a shame that the Future Tours Thingo the ICC has stops that.Unless we adopt 8 test summers, it won't really work having 5 test series more often.

  9. #9
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,571
    Damn BCCI
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  10. #10
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    4,291
    I think we will adjust to the changes.
    Most the 20/20 crowd are newbies.
    Imagine all the young new comers,maybe some from the under 19 side.
    The youngsters are the great impact,the qld keeper has been a revealtion.
    Imagine a canberra state of origin side,with overseas players.

  11. #11
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Damn BCCI
    Haha, think that'll actually catch on as the cricketing equivalent of 'fudge!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

  12. #12
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    4,291
    States will own the city sides.
    There will be a transfer pool good idea,gives players an opportunity.
    Look at ashley noffke he had to move interstate to play kfc he doesn't now.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    I don't understand this "T20 cricket thriving automatically means it's bad for Tests" stuff. There is the example of India where proliferation of T20s have actually led to better performances in test matches and increase in public interest in that game.

  14. #14
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,571
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Haha, think that'll actually catch on as the cricketing equivalent of 'fudge!'
    Haha I love it.

    India's fault for all the ODIs, and then Aust vs. England play a 7 ODI series.

    India's fault for the IPL, and now T20 league in Aust is going to likely have auctions and possibly franchises.
    Last edited by Jono; 22-01-2010 at 10:09 PM.

  15. #15
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,786
    Hate the City-based concept. They finally get something right, and they have to go and change it. I mean, what history do the Brisbane cricket team have for instance? Absolutely none. People are not vacuuous - they need to identify with their team. Why couldn't they just leave it the hell alone?

    Anyway, RE the T20 crowds...

    Word on the street is that many, many tickets have been freebies. I'm not saying it's not popular, but let's keep the crowd numbers in perspective.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dire Times Ahead For England
    By JohnnyA in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 04:26 PM
  2. Replies: 76
    Last Post: 13-12-2004, 11:20 AM
  3. Looking Ahead...
    By Spetsnatz in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 26-10-2004, 04:27 AM
  4. Betting? Is it going ahead?
    By Paid The Umpire in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 15-10-2002, 10:26 AM
  5. Thinking ahead
    By marc71178 in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-10-2002, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •