• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best of the best...

Who was the best test team of all-time?

• Total voters

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IYO, who was the best side of all time?

My main 4 candidates:

Invincibles 1948 (Australia)
South Africa 1966-1970
West Indies 1976-1995
Australia 1989-2007/08

Poll to come, but I may have forgotten some candidates.

Redbacks

International Captain
It wouldn't be CW without an attempt to discredit the recent Aus team by moving the goalposts all of a sudden :laugh:

Windies

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I voted Aussies, even though they weren't the best team until 1995. I think you should readjust the poll to match the reality.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Shorten the West Indies to 1991, when Richards and Marshall retired. They were still good, but not clearly the best side in the world anymore past 1991.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Australia. Played everyone, overall global standard was better, greater depth (though that could be debated especially in fast bowling stocks), won far more games and played a far more positive brand of cricket and had a far more rounded and complete team.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Australia. Played everyone, overall global standard was better, greater depth (though that could be debated especially in fast bowling stocks), won far more games and played a far more positive brand of cricket and had a far more rounded and complete team.
Yeh, this.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
EZ. Windies 76-95 particularly the team that went to Oz in late 70s and won 2-0. Greatest bowling attack of all time. No doubt Oz of recent time had the better batting line up but IMO great bowling> great batting ne day of the week. Also dont forget that WI for the period 80-95 were literally invincible ie they didnt lose to ne one home or away (27 multi test series). Oz while dominant were neevr invincible for ne lengthy period.

And whats this crap about Oz playing more attractive cricket. Attractive to whom??

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Windies of 76-95 just over AUS 95-2006.

As a birt i appauled by the lack of mention of the dominant ENGLAND team of the 50s? Especially the Ashes winning 1953 XI

Hutton
Edrich
May
Compton
Graveney
Bailey
Evans
Laker
Lock
Trueman
Bedser/Statham - cant remember off my head who played

Easily one of the bext XI to actually play a test, with all players in top form together.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
EZ. Windies 76-95 particularly the team that went to Oz in late 70s and won 2-0. Greatest bowling attack of all time. No doubt Oz of recent time had the better batting line up but IMO great bowling> great batting ne day of the week. Also dont forget that WI for the period 80-95 were literally invincible ie they didnt lose to ne one home or away (27 multi test series). Oz while dominant were neevr invincible for ne lengthy period.

And whats this crap about Oz playing more attractive cricket. Attractive to whom??
Indeed. Not sure where that i coming from. Although i wasn't old enough to have seen it live just watching videos, seeing the 4-prong in action was just as good as the many times i actually saw AUS smoke teams at 4 PRO per day in tests.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Honorable mention to the lost SA team of the 70s & 80s. This rebel 1982 test XI gave us an idea of what world cricket missed. See here.

Richards
Cook
Kirsten
Pollock
Rice
Procter
Kourie
Jennings+
Le Roux
Jefferies
Van Der Bijl

OMFG what a teammmm!!!. Now if the Great Windies team of that period JUST could have played that SA team, if political circumstances where different that would have been something..