• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand

cbuts

International Debutant
What do you mean?! Broom is having the domestic season of his life! Surprised if his form doesn't get him a test call up tbh.
the man is rubbish. he has shown in his 16 ODI games, he is not up to standard.

cbuts

International Debutant
Gonna be a bumper cricket season for New Zealand.

No international cricket in January, and a feast of Bangladesh in February.

**** off, seriously. Surely the worst home season for NZ in some time.
Pakistan, Bangladesh and a tour by Australia to come.... yea screw that, that suck!

Lets have Sri Lanka tour for 5 years straight again

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
the man is rubbish. he has shown in his 16 ODI games, he is not up to standard.
What I find curious about Broom is the division he creates. People tend to either think he's awesome and should be playing both forms of cricket for NZ, or that he's rubbish and should be playing neither.

The fact that of matter is, he's not a good one day player and should never have been selected in that format of the game - his career to date in both domestic and international cricket certainly backs this up, even taking into account his particularly good form of late. Conversely, he's one of the best First Class cricketers in New Zealand and should be given a run in the Test side - his ODI performances are more a reflection of the fact that he's not good at one day cricket than any potential Test match batting ability he may have.

I find it staggering that so few people can actually see this and, moreover, I find it quite hilarious to see that the man is just about to play his 17th ODI before his first Test. I fear that he'll fail yet again and again be blacklisted from the Test side as a result.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
What I find curious about Broom is the division he creates. People tend to either think he's awesome and should be playing both forms of cricket for NZ, or that he's rubbish and should be playing neither.

The fact that of matter is, he's not a good one day player and should never have been selected in that format of the game - his career to date in both domestic and international cricket certainly backs this up, even taking into account his particularly good form of late. Conversely, he's one of the best First Class cricketers in New Zealand and should be given a run in the Test side - his ODI performances are more a reflection of the fact that he's not good at one day cricket than any potential Test match batting ability he may have.

I find it staggering that so few people can actually see this and, moreover, I find it quite hilarious to see that the man is just about to play his 17th ODI before his first Test. I fear that he'll fail yet again and again be blacklisted from the Test side as a result.
I always have a good laugh when people actually rate Broom on how well he went during his 16 games for New Zealand. Yes, let's pick a guy that had never scored a one day 100 before, only just averages over 30, and bat him two, three places lower then what he does for his domestic team, and expect him to succeed.

Given how he's gone this season for Otago in one day cricket, his selection for the current series against Bangladesh is justified, it's now up to the New Zealand management whether they put Broom into a position to succeed and continue his form he's shown so far this season.

Fully expect him to get only two bats during this series, and having to come in with less then ten overs to go and failing. Starting the whole "He failed against Bangladesh, never pick him again" campaign.

Howsie

International Captain
Ah yes, Vettori has confirmed that Franklin NOT Broom will be batting at five during this series, what a joke.

Polo23

International Debutant
Agree with Howsie on this one...How was Broom ever expected to succeed when he was fulfilling a role he is not suited to? Batting 6 or 7 isn't his game. He's a top order batsman and a damn fine one at that.

Bat him at 5 and i'm certain he'll succeed more often than not, even in OD cricket which obviously isn't his strong point. Most people knock back how Broom would go in test matches based on those few ODI innings...how many people in NZ FC cricket average a shade under 43 after 50+ matches? The only 2 who have done better than that are Sinclair and Fulton, and both have been given multiple chances to prove to the selectors they are good enough.

Flem274*

123/5

Morning.

Howsie

International Captain
I heard on the radio this morning that McKay will most likely carry the drinks, can I ask why? Where playing Bangladesh and he's 29, New Zealand should at least give him these three games to see what he has.

Christ, we already know what Ian Butler offers.

Flem274*

123/5
I heard on the radio this morning that McKay will most likely carry the drinks, can I ask why? Where playing Bangladesh and he's 29, New Zealand should at least give him these three games to see what he has.

Isn't Butler injured?

Flem274*

123/5
Is Ingram ever a chance of playing Test cricket?
Tim McIntosh and Daniel Flynn got there..

I'm warming to McIntosh though. He's....endearing.

There's bound to be some droppings though so we'll see some debutants/recalls, plus with the injury list there will definitely be opportunities for players.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain

FFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, first Franklin knicking the no. 5 spot off Broom and now this.
Sack Vettori :ph34r:

Hopefully it's just someones opinion.

EDIT: Didn't Greatbatch say he would definitely play?

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Really hope McKay is a success. Experienced domestic bowler that bowls good areas, gets movement with some nip, like O'Brien. He was a bolter but it's a good selection. Also gives the younger bowlers domestically time to develop their game and get more experience.