• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Single Wicket Contest

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What would be your chosen field of 8 players to take part in a single wicket knockout contest using the old rules used by Alfred Mynn and the like.

Rules
2 innings per player
Runs can only be scored in front of the wicket
2 other fielders in addition to keeper and player
To score a run the batsman had to get to the bowler's end and back
A batsman can not leave his crease before making a stroke

For background
The last great single-wicket contest | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

Social conditions made games of this sort popular: before the arrival of a national railway network in the 1840s and 1850s, it was easier to get two top players to a ground than 22 of them. The games were often slow, with the bowler allowed up to a minute between deliveries. In lengthy contests, exhaustion was a real possibility. What's more, with runs hard to come by because of the strict rules, long periods with no scoring were common.

My Draw

Kallis vs Sanath
Bravo vs Flintoff
Shakib Al Hasan vs Swann
Tendulkar vs Afridi

I think I will back Afridi to win it all. Dont ask me why, mainly based on the fact that being the only bowler could kill a seamer.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, funnily enough I was thinking about this not long ago. I read that cricinfo article too; I think Mynn's cricinfo profile took me to it actually.

Immediately I thought Kallis would be awesome at this, but like you I started to consider the fatigue factor - Kallis takes a little longer to score his runs than most and bowling quick would obviously tire him out if he didn't strike in the first 15 balls or so as well.

Spinners would definitely have a huge advantage in the longer matches, so I'd be looking at someone like Swann.

EDIT: Actually, I'd like to nominate Sehwag. Highly under-rated spinner and obviously a good batsman who'd become increasingly effective as the bowler tired.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bravo would dart between the wickets and never get tired. Swann to win it though, seeing as he's the best bowler and batsman of the bunch.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was going to nominate Hussey until I realised the players had to bowl. In terms of running and fielding, I reckon he'd have most people covered.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
They had a single wicket contest in Tobago last year involving the entire T & T squad. It was won comfortably by Lendl Simmons.

In fairness, Bravo was still recovering from injury and wasn't at his best.

Himannv

International Coach
Angelo Mathews. Capable of winning matches and big hits with the bat. Also a tireless bowler effective in international cricket. His fielding is quite exceptional as well. I think Watson would probably do a similarly good job.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
AW PEWS. Unless the opponent isn't a proper batsman, its got to be a spinning all-rounder. Fast bowlers would tire pretty quickly trying to dismiss the batsman twice with just two outfielders. Sehwag, Jayasuriya, Symonds, Tendulkar, Mark Waugh, Michael Clarke etc would be good calls.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
EDIT: Actually, I'd like to nominate Sehwag. Highly under-rated spinner and obviously a good batsman who'd become increasingly effective as the bowler tired.
I think alot of people rate Sehwag's bowling actually, maybe most rather than his own captain, underbowled i'd say.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was a single wicket competition held every year at Lords between 1963 and 1966. Just had a look at the results and the winners were Ken Palmer, Barry Knight, Mushtaq Mohammad and Fred Titmus. The one consistent feature seemed to be that the bigger names generally got knocked out early on - Sobers played just the once, 1964, when he lost to Middlesex batsman Peter Parfitt in the first round, surprisingly in a high scoring game which I would have thought should have suited Sobers - generally the scores just go to show its a completely different game and that being a top all rounder isn't, or wasn't then, a pre requisite for success.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised no one has mentioned Vettori yet, advantage of being a spinner and normally scores his runs pretty quickly, resourcefull cricketer as well think he would be good at this.

Mitchell Johnson as well would be a good shout, on a good day could be unbeatable at this, more likely than most to get a wicket quickly and potentially destructive with the bat.

thierry henry

International Coach
Surprised no one has mentioned Vettori yet, advantage of being a spinner and normally scores his runs pretty quickly, resourcefull cricketer as well think he would be good at this.
Vettori scores like 80% of his runs behind the wicket lol.

Surprised no-one rates Shakib over Swanneh???? Better bat and bowler for mine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Symonds for me too.

Fit.

Can bowl spin if he wants.

Good batsman and can hit straight.