• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

daghetto

Cricket Spectator
I think more than anything the reason Pakistani players were not picked was the bad relationship between the two countries and everything else is just excuses.

Availability was one of the reasons given. Arent most other countries also going to be involved in test series for instance... And maybe I am not aware of the final schedule but here is what I have so far.

IPL III- Mar 12- Apr 25

And of the major test playing nations during this time there are following series scheduled:

Australia in New Zealand, Feb - Mar 2010

England in Bangladesh, Feb - Mar 2010

Zimbabwe in West Indies, Feb - Mar 2010

Now I dont see Pakistan's name there but lets assume they do have a series scheduled during that time, well so do the Aussies, NZL, West Indians and English players and yet I am sure players from those countries were picked.

2nd excuse was whether they will get visas issued by the Indian govt or not. Well before you allow them to be added to the auction, maybe you should confirm with your ministry first if this would be an issue.

Maybe I am kicking the dog here but here is what I believe is the REAL ISSUE:
I think the bad air between the two countries has caused Indians to chicken out of picking Pakistani players. Any franchise that picks Pakistani players risks public anger and volatile attitude towards them from the crowds.

This is unfortunately the way democracy works and if majority of the people do not wish to see players from a certain country participate in their domestic tournament, there is realistically nothing you can do about it.

The difference here is rather than beat around the bush, the Indians should have grown cojones to come out and flat out reject any of the Pakistani players from being included in the auction citing exactly the reasons why and I would personally not have any ill feelings towards their decision. However, as it stands now, they have proven themselves to be cowards and made a mockery out of their own process.

Now about Pakistani players and Pakistani team:
Cricket is a living for these guys and I am sure as pro cricketers it hurts them to see their peers with far inferior talent in T20 cricket making large sums of cash. This is an unfortunate situation for them and if I put myself in their shows I can understand how frustrated and mistreated they must feel. Afterall they all have families and expenses and cricket is their livelihood, with a cash strapped board, and lack of cricket, they are financially not as secure and strong as cricketers from other major countries.

BUT now is the time when they can unite to make a statement for their country and their profession in Pakistan and for their fellow cricketers to come.

Please get over the set back, concentrate in making our country's cricket team strong contender in the world not just in T 20 but ODI and Tests and provide some consistent results so once again the sport gains popularity in the country and other countries prefer to play us more.

Our team overall is not an attractive package right now, our cricket setup and our players have to work in unity with a sense of togetherness to bring our team once again to the top 3 or 4 nations in the world. With success in due time you will reap financial rewards.

Dont let this get you down. Lets move foreward.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
3 hours later you're upping it? People will discuss if they want to. If not, my advice would be to deal.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
2nd excuse was whether they will get visas issued by the Indian govt or not. Well before you allow them to be added to the auction, maybe you should confirm with your ministry first if this would be an issue.
They would not be able to give an definitive answer. Most likely there were whispers about visas and that is why they were not picked up.

They were added to the auction list as teams expressed an interest. They were then not bid on as there could be issues (and not good publicity) about visas. It would appear the IPL teams did their due diligence.

A real shame for the Pakistani players and a minor embarassment all around but no where near as bad if a team bid big on a player and they were then denied entry.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

They would not be able to give an definative answer. Most likely there were whispers about visas and that is why they were not picked up.
Exactly.

If it's a fake excuse from the powers that be in the IPL, it's probably the most convincing and believable one ever.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
While Pakistani players not playing is a loss for IPL but there is a lot of risk in taking them. If any terrible thing occurs between now and the IPL it could result in another flare up and the teams end up poorer for it. Better safe than sorry.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a big slap on the face of Pakistani cricket and it couldnt have come at a better time. The Indian media, government, cricket authorities, Lalit Modi and all have been treating Pakistan like toilet paper since November 27th 2008. Yet these shameless, greedy Pakistani players went licking their feet just to make some money..and were given what they deserve. This is what you get for compromising on your self respect in the first place. When you dont respect yourself, no one respects you.

Sir Alex

Banned
IPL is purely a business venture. Buying Pakistani players at this point in time is fraught with all risks as a single incident can result in them either backing out of the competition on their own or evicted by India. Also talented they might be, but surely not that talented to justify their selection over such risks. Surely it it unfortunate and millions in India would've loved to watch them play. But Pakistan and her fans must realise there are a thousand things of immediate concern to be addressed in their cricket. They are languishing at the bottom of the test table, can no longer host matches, can't field for their lives, have top order batsmen who average in 20s and 30s, and are getting insultingly whitewashed. They should take this opportunity to look into this own cricket and ask themselves whether at this point in time they are a force to reckon. Good luck Pak cricket. Get over this.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The way it is being argued here and elsewhere as if India and Indian Corporate have an obligation to pick Pak players. There is so much talk of self respect, Duh these folks play for PCB which treats them worse than a Doormat , where is the self respect then ?

The auction was in MUMBAI, read carefully again, Auction was in MUMBAI in the same TRIDENT Hotel which was attacked last year by terrorists. More than 30 people were killed in that attack, 32 year old Maj. Sandeep was killed saving lnnocent lives. So next time you shed your crocodile tears and shallow national pride and talk about being slapped and insulted, make sure you understand what happened there a year ago.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Politics aside (even though they are clearly important) Gul, Aamer and Afridi would have been fantastic additions to some of these teams. Right up there with the best in the world.

Mr Mxyzptlk

So you're saying Pakistan cricketers should be held accountable for terrorists acts that they had nothing to do with?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So you're saying Pakistan cricketers should be held accountable for terrorists acts that they had nothing to do with?
And who has held them accountable ? Picking Players is a business decision which some folks can't get in their head. Yes it would have been great to have those players in IPL, they bring great entertainment but there is an uncertainty over their participation then why should any franchise invest its money on them.

Some folks continue to beat the drum of how their players, their country has been insulted and what a slap it has been. Well if that is what they think then they should just refresh their memory.

Mr Mxyzptlk

And who has held them accountable ?
I'm not saying anyone has. I'm just trying to understand what you meant by this:

"The auction was in MUMBAI, read carefully again, Auction was in MUMBAI in the same TRIDENT Hotel which was attacked last year by terrorists. More than 30 people were killed in that attack, 32 year old Maj. Sandeep was killed saving lnnocent lives. So next time you shed your crocodile tears and shallow national pride and talk about being slapped and insulted, make sure you understand what happened there a year ago."

:huh:

Top_Cat

And who has held them accountable ? Picking Players is a business decision which some folks can't get in their head. Yes it would have been great to have those players in IPL, they bring great entertainment but there is an uncertainty over their participation then why should any franchise invest its money on them.

Some folks continue to beat the drum of how their players, their country has been insulted and what a slap it has been. Well if that is what they think then they should just refresh their memory.
Here you say it was nothing more than a business decision so Pakistan fans should suck it up. Fair enough. But then.....

The way it is being argued here and elsewhere as if India and Indian Corporate have an obligation to pick Pak players. There is so much talk of self respect, Duh these folks play for PCB which treats them worse than a Doormat , where is the self respect then ?

The auction was in MUMBAI, read carefully again, Auction was in MUMBAI in the same TRIDENT Hotel which was attacked last year by terrorists. More than 30 people were killed in that attack, 32 year old Maj. Sandeep was killed saving lnnocent lives. So next time you shed your crocodile tears and shallow national pride and talk about being slapped and insulted, make sure you understand what happened there a year ago.
...... now you've lost me.

So was it a business decision purely concerning whether their participation was guaranteed or did the terrorist attack have bearing on it? It can't be both.

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't see the utility of bringing nationalism here. If the talk is about "pride" being hurt, then how that pride is "satiated" by seeing otherwise a bunch of their national players "bought" by Indian Corporates and made to do whatever they feel pleased, including act like buffoons for advertisements catering to Indian public etc? Also how is Pakistan going to benefit had these players featured in the IPL?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying anyone has. I'm just trying to understand what you meant by this:

"The auction was in MUMBAI, read carefully again, Auction was in MUMBAI in the same TRIDENT Hotel which was attacked last year by terrorists. More than 30 people were killed in that attack, 32 year old Maj. Sandeep was killed saving lnnocent lives. So next time you shed your crocodile tears and shallow national pride and talk about being slapped and insulted, make sure you understand what happened there a year ago."

:huh:
Well the statement made in response to Black Warrior's statement

"The Indian media, government, cricket authorities, Lalit Modi and all have been treating Pakistan like toilet paper since November 27th 2008"

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So was it a business decision purely concerning whether their participation was guaranteed or did the terrorist attack have bearing on it? It can't be both.
To me it is not. I don't think the terrorist attack had any bearing to it directly but indirectly it did in a way it has a cloud of uncertainty over the participation of Pakistani Players and hence the rejection in the bidding process.

But that's not an acceptable enough answer for some folks, look at the thread and some of the suggestions made :-

"I think the bad air between the two countries has caused Indians to chicken out of picking Pakistani players. Any franchise that picks Pakistani players risks public anger and volatile attitude towards them from the crowds."

"Indians should have grown cojones to come out and flat out reject any of the Pakistani players from being included in the auction citing exactly the reasons why and I would personally not have any ill feelings towards their decision. However, as it stands now, they have proven themselves to be cowards and made a mockery out of their own process."

"The Indian media, government, cricket authorities, Lalit Modi and all have been treating Pakistan like toilet paper since November 27th 2008."

Well If these folks really think that was the main reason why Indian corporates have rejected Pakistan Players then the Indian Corporates are justified in doing so after what happened on 11/26.

bagapath

International Captain
Now about Pakistani players and Pakistani team:
Cricket is a living for these guys and I am sure as pro cricketers it hurts them to see their peers with far inferior talent in T20 cricket making large sums of cash. This is an unfortunate situation for them and if I put myself in their shows I can understand how frustrated and mistreated they must feel. Afterall they all have families and expenses and cricket is their livelihood, with a cash strapped board, and lack of cricket, they are financially not as secure and strong as cricketers from other major countries.
what rubbish! they are not going to starve because they are not playing in IPL. and they didnt take up cricket as a career hoping to make a living through IPL. did they?

if they are frustrated let them be. it is more important for pakistan cricket to get the national team in order. if they dont worry about it they will continue to have a mediocre team representing them at the international stage.

as for not picking pakistani cricketers, i think there are too many diplomatic issues involved right now in resuming cricketing relations between the two countries. good business decision by IPL owners in ignoring them,. of course, i would have loved to see afridi and gul and asif turn up in this tournament. but that is secondary compared to the bigger picture of sorting out the cricketing ties between the two countries.

Craig

World Traveller
Yes the IPL franchises are free to sign whoever they like, and nobody is twisting the arm of the franchise owners to sign a Pakistani player, I understand that part well, but what I am getting at is that both sides of government (Pakistan and India) should sort out their problems, but let the cricketers play cricket, and give them visas if any IPL franchise wanted them.

Look I am not going to pretend to be expert on sub continent politics, but what it appears to an outsider.

AaronK

State Regular

:spam:

The auction was in MUMBAI, read carefully again, Auction was in MUMBAI in the same TRIDENT Hotel which was attacked last year by terrorists. More than 30 people were killed in that attack, 32 year old Maj. Sandeep was killed saving lnnocent lives. So next time you shed your crocodile tears and shallow national pride and talk about being slapped and insulted, make sure you understand what happened there a year ago.[/QUOTE]

:jawdrop:

What the hell.. so what has pakistani cricketers have to do with this.. or pakistani cricket..damn i am over this ****.. or else i would teach ignorant people like urself a lesson here.. well i have no time to waste on people like urself.. all i have to say is get a life..