• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think Afridi in particular suffered because he was in the first (?) pool of players put up for auction.

Its like this. Pollard and Bond were perhaps the two players on every franchises wish list. But the teams had a cap of $750,000. It was inevitable for the tiebreaker to come into play. BUT, you only get into the tiebreaker if you bid the maximum of $750,000 on that particular player. If you bought Afridi for even $1, you'd be left with $749,999 for Bond/Pollard, and $749,999 doesn't get you into the tiebreaker. It made complete sense for any team interested in Bond or Pollard to not spend a single dollar on any other player before they were done with them. Even after Bond and Pollard were spoken for, it left 3 teams out of the running for any other player - the 2 teams that had bagged the duo, plus Rajasthan Royals, the eternal scrooges.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Yaar, whatever, i am over it.........move on please......now its just "he said, she said....."

Moreover, i am a believer of karma......so whoever had ill intentions will get paid in full....

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It may come as a huge surprise to you that this topic doesn't revolve around your moods. What gives you the idea I was addressing you?

Faisal1985

It may come as a huge surprise to you that this topic doesn't revolve around your moods. What gives you the idea I was addressing you?
And what gives you the idea that i was addressing you? In any way or form?

And regardless of what the thread is about, mood is part of what someone expresses.

Stop it with your dumb philosophy.......

Faisal1985

What philosophy? Who's the one spouting the stuff about karma?
karma is not mere philosophy, its part of people's belief which is more oriented with religion, and religion is far from philosophy.

Your comments are philosophical where you are defining this thread as a type which does not "revolve around moods"....which is completely wrong and ill advised because human expressions in general are a reflection of their moods/tones/thoughts....and so this thread being a pool of human expression is no different....

funnygirl

State Regular
Hey !! Go Easy on my KKR. They were the most affected team by the non-participation of their top players that included Ricky Ponting, Umar Gul, Shoaib Akhtar, Salman Butt and Md. Hafeez.

:@:@
Salman Butt is such a top T20 player.yes KKR is going to miss his earth shattering strike rate and running between wickets:sleep:

Faisal1985

The Dawn Blog Blog Archive No bid, no problem

Just incase anyone is interested in reading something sensible on this issue.
Sensible as in "your personal view"......i can point out many Indian articles and writers who have voiced what i consider sensible in the Indian press.....

In fact, the comments i am reading on cricinfo and some of the other Indian sites tell a completely different story then what IPL or BCCI is saying......

As i said before, only Shiv Sena type people in India can say or do what has been done here, no cricket loving fan in India would argue that Pakistani cricketers are untouchables......(there are bad apples everywhere though)......

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sensible as in "your personal view"......i can point out many Indian articles and writers who have voiced what i consider sensible in the Indian press.....

In fact, the comments i am reading on cricinfo and some of the other Indian sites tell a completely different story then what IPL or BCCI is saying......

As i said before, only Shiv Sena type people in India can say or do what has been done here, no cricket loving fan in India would argue that Pakistani cricketers are untouchables......(there are bad apples everywhere though)......
I am a cricket loving fan from India. Pak players are untouchables? My ass. I can list a dozen players or more who are better and competing in the IPL at the moment. If they are anything, it is just that they have a lot of flair and nothing else compared to the other top players.

Sir Alex

Banned
I find the argument Pakistan won the T20 WC so their players should have been considered quite silly. Primarily because :

1. T20 is very much unpredictable game. On a day any team can upset any team. The best example for how much past performances in T20 as a team are reliable indicators of future performances was evident from IPL 1 and 2. BRC and DC who finished the last in IPL 1 competed in the finals in IPL 2. Rajasthan Royals who won IPL 1 convincingly looked completely out of depth in IPL 2.

2. Pakistan won the T20 cup one year back. In International cricket 1 year is a long time. I don't think Pakistan has done anything noteworthy since then. Remember after winning 07 T20 WC India started on a remarkable trail which culminated in them being both Test and ODI no.1 (although the latter has been since lost).

daghetto

Cricket Spectator
I find the argument Pakistan won the T20 WC so their players should have been considered quite silly. Primarily because :

1. T20 is very much unpredictable game. On a day any team can upset any team. The best example for how much past performances in T20 as a team are reliable indicators of future performances was evident from IPL 1 and 2. BRC and DC who finished the last in IPL 1 competed in the finals in IPL 2. Rajasthan Royals who won IPL 1 convincingly looked completely out of depth in IPL 2.

2. Pakistan won the T20 cup one year back. In International cricket 1 year is a long time. I don't think Pakistan has done anything noteworthy since then. Remember after winning 07 T20 WC India started on a remarkable trail which culminated in them being both Test and ODI no.1 (although the latter has been since lost).

theyve been remarkable in t20 matches after the t20 cup :), which is allegedly the majority of the future of cricket now and the next big cricket format.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I am a cricket loving fan from India. Pak players are untouchables? My ass. I can list a dozen players or more who are better and competing in the IPL at the moment. If they are anything, it is just that they have a lot of flair and nothing else compared to the other top players.
TBH, I'd classify Shoaib Akhtar as untouchable, warts and all. So too your ass, as far as I am concerned. You're a guy, right? :ph34r:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
How can you call the decision by Indian government to not allow its cricket team in Pakistan after what happened to Sri Lanka cricket team. Imagaine if that had happened to Indian cricket team.. would have been another Indo Pak war.
It was the right decision after the Mumbai attacks, both sides of the border people were fuming. Indian because of the attacks and Pakistani's because of the way Indian media was pointing fingers at Pakistan.
I don't think any of the players really wanted to go to Pakistan either.
Few points
The attacks on Sri Lankan players happend in 2009
India was supposed to tour in December 2008, it backed out of a contract. In legal terms, it is equal to Pakistan backing out of their obligation to play IPL 2.
Hence your statement "after what happened to Sri Lanka cricket team" unless you are suggesting that India knew the attacks were going to happen on the Sri Lankan team in 2009 :-O

Ok I am happy to accept your assessment of Pakistani players ability at T20 cricket despite winning an ICL season, reaching two T20 finals and winning 1 if only you are able to provide me with a reasonable response as to why those players picked in this IPL 3 are better than the Pakistani players left out. Infact, this is the kind of debate I would love, because we are back to discussing cricket which is the point of this forum. I would love the argument that Pakistani players were left out based purely on merit or the lack of it. Go ahead my friend. I am all ears.

What you do not understand is IPL2 was a contract between players and the Franchises, absence of these players hurt the chances of these teams winning. These players occupied the slots of of limited foreign slots. The francises didn't care what PCB and BCCI did with each other, not to forget the fact that the IPL was held in South Africa. Why should these franchises put up with the same uncertainty again when they could not get any guarantee from BCCI/Government about the participation of the Pakistani players.
Maybe what you dont realize is that BCCI had a contractual obligation to play in Pakistan in 2008 and it backed out. The technical differences are irrelevant. The issue is, BCCI did not respect its obligation, and PCB did not allow its players to respect their obligation to play in IPL 2.

You can accuse me jingoism as much as you want but in my opinion you are the one who is affected by it and hurt because your national pride seems to be hurt because none of the pakistani players able to attract a single bid.
Mate, the meaning of jingoism iss the expression of extreme kind of patriotism that takes precedence over logic, reason, and notions of justice and fairness. Go check my posts, and tell me where I have blindly defended Pakistan, Pakistani players, PCB, or anything to do with Pakistan unreasonably. Infact, I dont think anyone on this forum criticises Pakistani batsmen more than I do. I dont think anyone here criticises PCB more than I do.

In comparison, you have continued to defend this cheap political act on the part of BCCI/Latil Modi/Government despite knowing that what happened at the auction was unfair. I know you know it, and most Indian fans arguing here acknowledge it too..its just they cannot get themselves to come out and criticise their own cricket board, or their own cricketing authorities or hero Lalit Modi. But you know what mate, at times you have to rise above these petty issues and support whats just and fair.

I have a question for you that should end this discussion totally. If there was no IPL, instead there was a PPL and it attracted players from all over the world, and invited everyone for the auction, and then ignore all the Indian players, how would you react? I know how I would react, I would blast the hell out of PCB and the Pakistani franchises and PPL authorities for this cheap political act and disrespecting Indian cricketers. The same reaction I have now. But would your reaction still be the same? Would you still be justifying it by providing the lame "franchises decision/political turmoil" etc? Would you still accept the "official" response from the authorities of there being no controversy?
In fact, you dont have to answer this on this forum. Just answer it to yourself :)

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Few points
The attacks on Sri Lankan players happend in 2009
India was supposed to tour in December 2008, it backed out of a contract. In legal terms, it is equal to Pakistan backing out of their obligation to play IPL 2.
Hence your statement "after what happened to Sri Lanka cricket team" unless you are suggesting that India knew the attacks were going to happen on the Sri Lankan team in 2009 :-O
I probably didn't word it right.. what i meant is that it was good decision by Indian government in hindsight to not let Indian team tour because there was a chance they could have been targeted.
As Pakistani government was telling the world that cricketers will not be a target but as was proven by attack on Sri Lankan players that they were wrong. Cricketers are also targeted in Pakistan. In hindsight it was a good decision rather than stupid one.
India wasn't the only team who backed out of going to Pakistan.. plenty of security reports were there that its not safe to go to Pakistan and that's why Indian government didn't not allow them to go there. Because it was a big security risk.

Sri Lankan team was the only one who ignored the security warnings....... now we know why people take those security assessments quite seriously.
How you can even call it a stupid decision when the reasons sighted for not touring were proven right by the attacks on Lankan team.

R_D

International Debutant
Few points

I have a question for you that should end this discussion totally. If there was no IPL, instead there was a PPL and it attracted players from all over the world, and invited everyone for the auction, and then ignore all the Indian players, how would you react? I know how I would react, I would blast the hell out of PCB and the Pakistani franchises and PPL authorities for this cheap political act and disrespecting Indian cricketers. The same reaction I have now. But would your reaction still be the same? Would you still be justifying it by providing the lame "franchises decision/political turmoil" etc? Would you still accept the "official" response from the authorities of there being no controversy?
In fact, you dont have to answer this on this forum. Just answer it to yourself :)
Maybe Indian players, South African and England players should have a big hue and cry because they were not selected for KFC big bash while players from NZ, Pak and WI were given preference.

As regards to Pakistan players not being selected in IPL... i didn't like the way the whole thing was handled.. if they weren't going to pick them than yeah they shouldn't have been put in the auction list. We all know how professional BCCI are and how professionally the corporate world works in India so i'm not one bit surprised that didn't ask government for visa assurance for Pakistan players until the last minute.
Also you can understand why they were not picked but people insuiating that it was done to insult Pakistan is quite laughable

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
In comparison, you have continued to defend this cheap political act on the part of BCCI/Latil Modi/Government despite knowing that what happened at the auction was unfair.
That fact that you continue to believe (without any proof) that there was some sinister politics behind the exclusion of Pakistan players from IPL3 and that is proof enough that it is you whose national pride has been hurt.