• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The way it is being argued here and elsewhere as if India and Indian Corporate have an obligation to pick Pak players. There is so much talk of self respect, Duh these folks play for PCB which treats them worse than a Doormat , where is the self respect then ?

The auction was in MUMBAI, read carefully again, Auction was in MUMBAI in the same TRIDENT Hotel which was attacked last year by terrorists. More than 30 people were killed in that attack, 32 year old Maj. Sandeep was killed saving lnnocent lives. So next time you shed your crocodile tears and shallow national pride and talk about being slapped and insulted, make sure you understand what happened there a year ago.
I am sorry I fail to see the correlation. What has 30 people dying in a terrorist attack got to do with Pakistani cricketers? In Pakistan we have more people dying due to terrorist attacks. So dont try to play the sympathy card.
You know you sound as idiotic as the Shiv Sena party that is threatening Australian cricketers for violence against Indian students in Australia.
If you feel that Pakistani players do not deserve to play in the IPL due to cricketing reasons lack of ability, skill, talent etc...then go ahead and make that argument. I am happy to accept that..I very well that Pakistan is a poor test side, have poor batsmen, the first class system is crap, the domestic players are crap..So go ahead and make that argument instead of making silly statements and playing the sympathy card.
Despite my criticism of Pakistani players and their lack of ability at times, I do believe that Pakistan is a fantastic T20 side and some of the players are the best T20 players in the world...Pakistan made it to two T20 finals, won the ICL, Pakistani players have been doing very well in Australian domestic T20 cricket..So I believe that some players do deserve to be in any T20 side in the world..hence the only reason I could see in them not finding a place in any team is political. That is precisely why I brought it up, to show how idiotic and non sensical it is when jingoism takes precedence over reason and logic

:laugh: When since not getting selected to a purely domestic corporate tournament became "unjust and discriminatory"?
Another non sensical statement. IPL is not just another domestic tournament. It is a global tournament with participation from players from all over the world.

I cannot help but notice that some posters forget that it was the Pakistan govt that refused permission for their players to play in IPL2, not the Indian govt.
I cannot help but notice that this is IPL 3 we are talking about.

My whole point is, if there are so many risks and practical problems involved as proposed by my respected Indian members, then why was this not made clear in the first place?? Why make a whole facade of allowing Pakistani players to play, asking them to be up for auction, then humiliating in this way? That is unfair and any person who does not let jingoism get the better of logic in his mind would be able to see that. I can understand all the political issues involved..hence the BCCI/Lalit Modi should have made it very clear in the beginning "No Pakistani players because of political problems" and many of us in Pakistan would be fine with it. But what hurts us is this whole drama created just to humiliate Pakistani players!

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Another non sensical statement. IPL is not just another domestic tournament. It is a global tournament with participation from players from all over the world.
The last time I checked the IPL was 100% owned controlled and operated by BCCI, an Indian "charitable" society.:laugh: Having players from other countries participate in it doesn't mean other countries get automatically a stake in it's affairs.

My whole point is, if there are so many risks and practical problems involved as proposed by my respected Indian members, then why was this not made clear in the first place?? Why make a whole facade of allowing Pakistani players to play, asking them to be up for auction, then humiliating in this way? That is unfair and any person who does not let jingoism get the better of logic in his mind would be able to see that. I can understand all the political issues involved..hence the BCCI/Lalit Modi should have made it very clear in the beginning "No Pakistani players because of political problems" and many of us in Pakistan would be fine with it. But what hurts us is this whole drama created just to humiliate Pakistani players!
I agree that the whole issue was handled rather clumsily and that Pakistanis would feel slighted and insulted after featuring in the shortlist. However considering the slight that was dealt on the IPL by PCB was disallowing them to play at all in India after being contracted for hundreds of thousands of dollars, this was perhaps their way of getting back. An eye for eye makes the whole world blind but here that's what happened. get over it pal.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The last time I checked the IPL was 100% owned controlled and operated by BCCI, an Indian "charitable" society.:laugh: Having players from other countries participate in it doesn't mean other countries get automatically a stake in it's affairs.
I did not mention stake. All I said was, it is stupid to make the argument that "oh IPL is a domestic tournament" because it is not just another domestic tournament. You know it yourself. Stop trying to fool us and yourself by making that argument.

I agree that the whole issue was handled rather clumsily and that Pakistanis would feel slighted and insulted after featuring in the shortlist. However considering the slight that was dealt on the IPL by PCB was disallowing them to play at all in India after being contracted for hundreds of thousands of dollars, this was perhaps their way of getting back. An eye for eye makes the whole world blind but here that's what happened. get over it pal.
Oh I am totally over it. Personally, I dont even enjoy T20 cricket much. Also, in my original post, you will find that I criticized Pakistani players, no one else but Pakistani players for being so shamelessly greedy. Cheap political acts like these from politicians/government agencies (regardless of whether Indian or Pakistani or anywhere in the world) does not surprise me one bit. It was just some silly arguments made by some members, yourself included to justify this cheap political act that made me respond. PCB's act last year was equally silly, they were trying to get back at India for cancelling the test series in 2008 and I have no problems acknowledging that because I am not blinded by jingoism. Its sad that despite all of us realizing that Mahatma Gandhi was right when he said "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" we still stoop to such low levels.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Well if Afridi and Gul weren't left out due to visas, then obviously the reasons are political.

Two of the best 20/20 players in world cricket.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

"****" is in my opinion, just a short form for the word Pakistani. I can't take into account, the inferiority complex of people like you who take every chance to cry racism, when I am trying to make a sentence. You couldn't argue about any other point I made in that post you pointed out and so you chose to gain sympathy from other posters by playing the race card on something that was not even implied. I spotted bull**** and called you out on it and you are getting all defensive and playing victim.

Yes and i know who takes showers in cow piss ....wanna know the secret?

Sir Alex

Banned
I did not mention stake. All I said was, it is stupid to make the argument that "oh IPL is a domestic tournament" because it is not just another domestic tournament. You know it yourself. Stop trying to fool us and yourself by making that argument.

Oh I am totally over it. Personally, I dont even enjoy T20 cricket much. Also, in my original post, you will find that I criticized Pakistani players, no one else but Pakistani players for being so shamelessly greedy. Cheap political acts like these from politicians/government agencies (regardless of whether Indian or Pakistani or anywhere in the world) does not surprise me one bit. It was just some silly arguments made by some members, yourself included to justify this cheap political act that made me respond. PCB's act last year was equally silly, they were trying to get back at India for cancelling the test series in 2008 and I have no problems acknowledging that because I am not blinded by jingoism. Its sad that despite all of us realizing that Mahatma Gandhi was right when he said "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" we still stoop to such low levels.
Good points there mate, and agree with you in the entirety as to the second para. The fact is that Pakistani players got a bit too keen with the IPL and actually took it for granted. (See Afridi's remarks that it The Big Bash is better than IPL etc). If it has captured public imagination worldwide that is purely due to excellent marketing by Modi which includes contracting international players. May I ask you how many Pakistanis got the nod to play in the Big Bash last year? Or the year before that? What is that that makes the IPL "significantly" different from the Big Bash that Pakistanis have a genuine issue at not featuring in that?

Also this call about "having welcomed and insulted" and all is taking it a bit too far. First of all it was pretty clear that it was an auction and there would be no guarantee whatsoever of players being selected. Secondly, India's unwillingness to accomodate Pakistani players in this IPL was evident from the beginning, cue the "visa issues" and then Modi declaring the last date was over and Pakistan missed the bus etc. The signals were all there but Pakistani Board and their players were still pressurising the IPL authorities thereby displaying their desperateness and vanity to rake some of the cash that it offered. If they had some brains to see a bit into it, they should have withdrawn their bid much before the auctions which they didn't. Modi didn't want to do the "blunt" act by straightaway denying them and hence had to go by this route, which gives him the excuse of "all it being the franchisee's decision".

James

Cricket Web Owner
Settle down guys - clean it up and cut out the rubbish or expect the big red ban button to be pressed.

daghetto

Cricket Spectator
pak can focus on more important things now, like getting ready for the 2011 world cup, improving their game. besides, pak are already t20 champions of the world right now, i doubt theyll care to play in ipl when they can just practice and prepare for the coming t20 more and win it again :)

Faisal1985

India should have been more inclusive
IPL, being an Indian league, remains India-centric but a cricketing powerhouse like India should think bigger

Ramiz Raja

January 21, 2010

Text size: A | A
There is plenty of anger in Pakistan over their cricketers being snubbed at the IPL auction © Getty Images

Related Links
News : Ijaz Butt 'highly disappointed' by IPL cold shoulder
News : Pakistan players hurt and angered by snub
Features : Pollard, Bond, Roach hottest picks

Series/Tournaments: Indian Premier League
Teams: India | Pakistan

The IPL's auction hammer has hit Pakistan badly. Like a jilted lover, the cricket fan is heartbroken, confused and angry. The question he asks is 'How could the Twenty20 champions not have a buyer?' The league has a major presence in Pakistan, and the country's only sports channel beams the games live. Today, however, the mood has changed.

The other great import, Hindi cinema, has also come under pressure. The sports ministry and parliament have got the knives out, terming the selection snub as a great Indian conspiracy to insult the nation and belittle the status of its cricketers. The players seem to be on the same page as the politicians and the media. This is not cricket, they say. All hell has broken loose.

While it is quite possible that the inclusion of Pakistani cricketers would have divided Indian opinion, and invited controversy for the IPL, care should have been taken in easing them out of action. The task, though, could not have been easy.

The IPL was dealing with global stars with an elephantine ego, coming from a neighbourhood very sensitive to the decisions taken by either party. The best way out of such a volatile situation is to play with a straight bat, take a decision in advance and not when the crescendo has built up. The assurances of selection and the clearances given to them by the Pakistan government to participate in the tournament gave rise to false hopes among the fans and the media. The subsequent process of elimination was seen by the public as political and undignified.

However, there exists another school of thought in Pakistan which has criticised the players for displaying their keenness to play in the IPL, almost to the point of begging by auctioning themselves, knowing fully well the sentiment against Pakistan in India. Greed could have led to this desperation to participate in the tournament and if the players now think their dignity has been compromised, they have themselves to blame.

India are a cricket powerhouse, the international policeman of the game. Nothing moves without their consent. With status and stardom comes responsibility. India should have been more inclusive in this regard, and fiercely fought the case of Pakistan cricketers. This would have produced a healthy debate, perhaps controversy too, but in a more graceful fashion. But the IPL remains India-centric, and all decisions are made in keeping with Indian interests. Some would argue that the IPL, being an Indian league, is but natural to think Indian first. By all means, but rulers are remembered for thinking big.
Ramiz Raja is a former Pakistan captain and commentator

Feeds: Ramiz Raja

Source: cricinfo...

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
does this thread serve any positive purpose by staying open? can't someone with the necessary powers put a quick end to this?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
t. I can understand all the political issues involved..hence the BCCI/Lalit Modi should have made it very clear in the beginning "No Pakistani players because of political problems" and many of us in Pakistan would be fine with it. But what hurts us is this whole drama created just to humiliate Pakistani players!
So Why did Pakistan players not participate in IPL2 ?

Pakistan blocks its players from IPL | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Its sad that despite all of us realizing that Mahatma Gandhi was right when he said "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" we still stoop to such low levels.
Where is the 'eye for an eye' ? From where I am looking it is a simple business decision.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Hahaha.........had a good laugh reading this thread....I take offense at the effigy of Modi having the head of the Tasmanian devil.

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
expect more drama : its the Hockey World Cup in Delhi next month and Pakistan is one of the teams expected to play there