• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

Sir Alex

Banned
various reason that they can't say in the media.. and if they say it they would be called racist, anti pakistan... since that is what they are doing..

Wasim is there because the IPL still needs the rating.. he might be there doing commentating on a couple of matches so just people of pakistan in pakistan tune in..

it is funny reading some of these comments from indians supporters..Supporting IPL as if IPL is representing india.. let me make this clear.. what IPL is doing doesn't represent what indian people thinks..and finally what low life politicians and government officials of pakistan and india think about this issue don't represent the opinion of average pakistani and indian people..So i have no idea was Sanz and other indian supporters are taking IPL's side and presenting the worst excuses ever.. the best one is the one that has mentioned about the terriorst attack on the same indian hotel in Mambia where the auction was taken.. he is somehow linking pakistani cricketers to the terrirost attack of 2008..this is similar to blameing Tigar Wood for the diseaster in Haiti.. Just because the guy slept with a couple of women.. he is responsible for the Haiti diseaster..I bet Sanz is going to come up with another rediclous excuse similar to this.
Frankly I don't get this racist angle to all of this discussion. It evoked a guffaw, frankly, in me to read that inclusion of Wasim Akram would send up TRPs in Pakistan. First of all the TRPs from Pakistan during the last year's IPL, which was a great success was minimal. So Modi and his minions would not be much concerned about that. Secondly Wasim is in as a consultant to Kolkota knight riders so he won't be commentating. IPL is as Indian as the T20 Big Bash is Australian and to say it doesnt represent the will of Indians is just not right when you consider the TRPs and the following for individual teams in India.

jeevan

International 12th Man
various reason that they can't say in the media.. and if they say it they would be called racist, anti pakistan... since that is what they are doing..

Wasim is there because the IPL still needs the rating.. he might be there doing commentating on a couple of matches so just people of pakistan in pakistan tune in..
:laugh: How would Indians practice racism towards Pakistanis? Even when you guys speak street Urdu* (or Punjabi, Sindhi with Indians who speak those languages) there isn't a good way of identifying you apart from Indians.

* as opposed to the extra-Arabic/Persian infused Urdu on Pakistani television.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
it is funny reading some of these comments from indians supporters..Supporting IPL as if IPL is representing india.. let me make this clear.. what IPL is doing doesn't represent what indian people thinks..and finally what low life politicians and government officials of pakistan and india think about this issue don't represent the opinion of average pakistani and indian people..So i have no idea was Sanz and other indian supporters are taking IPL's side and presenting the worst excuses ever.. the best one is the one that has mentioned about the terriorst attack on the same indian hotel in Mambia where the auction was taken.. he is somehow linking pakistani cricketers to the terrirost attack of 2008..this is similar to blameing Tigar Wood for the diseaster in Haiti.. Just because the guy slept with a couple of women.. he is responsible for the Haiti diseaster..I bet Sanz is going to come up with another rediclous excuse similar to this.
Who cares about IPL, at some point I was rooting for ICL and at that time most of ICL players were from Pakistan. And you are right IPL doesn't represent Indian people and Indian democracy or whatever crap that is being uttered here about India. So next time you want to voice your anger about non selection of Pak Cricketers in IPL, Keep Indian Government, Indian people and Indian democracy out of it.

If you are going to bring all that then you know how the discussion is going to get. I have no intrest in discussing politics and terrorism with you or any of the Pakistani member here as long as you do not start the discussion and start throwing random accusations. And I do hear opinion of average Pakistani people, some of them are speaking here on the matter and it is mostly bull****. Not one of you has come up with any sensible post on the issue so far. Make some sane post and you will hear respectful response otherwise you hear what you deserve.

I am jsut appalled at the outrage by Pak members for something so trivial.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
once again from Afridi's Manager :

"I'd heard prior to the auction that franchises were being advised not to bid for Pakistani players, as the players from Pakistan would not be issued with visas by the Indian government, and that is precisely what has happened" LINK

makes sense , the franchisees got a tip that the Indian Gov was not gonna issue the visa's , so they ignored the bids

It begs the question, If he had already known that the Indian Govt was not going to grant Visas then why did he still allow Afridi to be part of the Auction ?

Shri

Mr. Glass

I think this post is a load of ****ing bull****. Attacking the post btw, not the poster.:cool:

Stapel

International Regular
It begs the question, If he had already known that the Indian Govt was not going to grant Visas then why did he still allow Afridi to be part of the Auction ?
If he (still Afridi's manager) has heard that franchises were being advised not to bid for Pakistani players, he should inform us where and from whom he has heard so.....

Stapel

International Regular
:laugh: How would Indians practice racism towards Pakistanis? Even when you guys speak street Urdu* (or Punjabi, Sindhi with Indians who speak those languages) there isn't a good way of identifying you apart from Indians.

* as opposed to the extra-Arabic/Persian infused Urdu on Pakistani television.
Well, racism, by the literal meaning of the word is about race, but in daily life it is often more about culture than about race.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I will respond normally to posts made by members like np10, Fusion, Xuhaib and godofcricket in this thread. The rest of them are direness personified.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am amazed at the amount of nationalistic rancour, latent as well as out-in-the-open, that is on display here.

The fact of the matter is that the Pakistani players who played in the first edition of the IPL were on contract and did not have to go through an auction process. Then in IPL 2 they could not come to India for reasons well known to every one. The teams they represented were left in a lurch. They (the franchisees) hurriedly signed up alternatives, not all of them perfect but they had no choice. It is for this reason that the Pakistanis had to go through the auction procedure this time - because their contracts were not valid now. Their team owners could not have them as well as their alternatives on their roles.

It is with this background that these auctions were held and it does not require one to be a rocket scientist to understand that it is this background that must have been at the back of the minds of the franchisees when they started bidding this time.

There is absolutely no doubt that Pakistani cricketers are big draw in India and most of those chosen in their place do not have either the glamour or the pull among the Indian fans and yet they were taken since the risk of a repeat of last year would always be there.

Its not necessary to go into the acts of commission and omission of the two governments to understand this much.

The political angle that could be, and probably was, involved this time was the open threats issued by Bal Thackerey. Its a disgrace that these threats are allowed to go unopposed in the Indian polity, by and large but then he doesn't do it only to Pakistani cricketers. Indian film producers are threatened if the word Bombay appears in one of their movies. 3 Idiots has a prominent apology before the movie starts for using Bombay instead of Mumbai. Its not something Indians are proud of but its there and all it matters for this forum is to understand that the Shiv Sena's opposition is to many things, most of them Indian, not just Pakistani players.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Well, racism, by the literal meaning of the word is about race, but in daily life it is often more about culture than about race.
And hence the reference to the top 3 languages spoken in Pakistan. Can extend it to foods and the arts as well (Pakistani classical musicians have huge followings in India and vice versa for Indian movies).

Creating a litmus test for subcontinental nationalities isn't a solved problem, many have been trying ( even cheering for cricket teams has been suggested, seriously).