Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    I'm not saying anyone has. I'm just trying to understand what you meant by this:

"The auction was in MUMBAI, read carefully again, Auction was in MUMBAI in the same TRIDENT Hotel which was attacked last year by terrorists. More than 30 people were killed in that attack, 32 year old Maj. Sandeep was killed saving lnnocent lives. So next time you shed your crocodile tears and shallow national pride and talk about being slapped and insulted, make sure you understand what happened there a year ago."

Well the statement made in response to Black Warrior's statement

"The Indian media, government, cricket authorities, Lalit Modi and all have been treating Pakistan like toilet paper since November 27th 2008"

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    So was it a business decision purely concerning whether their participation was guaranteed or did the terrorist attack have bearing on it? It can't be both.
    To me it is not. I don't think the terrorist attack had any bearing to it directly but indirectly it did in a way it has a cloud of uncertainty over the participation of Pakistani Players and hence the rejection in the bidding process.

But that's not an acceptable enough answer for some folks, look at the thread and some of the suggestions made :-

"I think the bad air between the two countries has caused Indians to chicken out of picking Pakistani players. Any franchise that picks Pakistani players risks public anger and volatile attitude towards them from the crowds."

"Indians should have grown cojones to come out and flat out reject any of the Pakistani players from being included in the auction citing exactly the reasons why and I would personally not have any ill feelings towards their decision. However, as it stands now, they have proven themselves to be cowards and made a mockery out of their own process."

"The Indian media, government, cricket authorities, Lalit Modi and all have been treating Pakistan like toilet paper since November 27th 2008."

Well If these folks really think that was the main reason why Indian corporates have rejected Pakistan Players then the Indian Corporates are justified in doing so after what happened on 11/26.

Quote Originally Posted by daghetto View Post
    Now about Pakistani players and Pakistani team:
    Cricket is a living for these guys and I am sure as pro cricketers it hurts them to see their peers with far inferior talent in T20 cricket making large sums of cash. This is an unfortunate situation for them and if I put myself in their shows I can understand how frustrated and mistreated they must feel. Afterall they all have families and expenses and cricket is their livelihood, with a cash strapped board, and lack of cricket, they are financially not as secure and strong as cricketers from other major countries.
    what rubbish! they are not going to starve because they are not playing in IPL. and they didnt take up cricket as a career hoping to make a living through IPL. did they?

if they are frustrated let them be. it is more important for pakistan cricket to get the national team in order. if they dont worry about it they will continue to have a mediocre team representing them at the international stage.

as for not picking pakistani cricketers, i think there are too many diplomatic issues involved right now in resuming cricketing relations between the two countries. good business decision by IPL owners in ignoring them,. of course, i would have loved to see afridi and gul and asif turn up in this tournament. but that is secondary compared to the bigger picture of sorting out the cricketing ties between the two countries.

Yes the IPL franchises are free to sign whoever they like, and nobody is twisting the arm of the franchise owners to sign a Pakistani player, I understand that part well, but what I am getting at is that both sides of government (Pakistan and India) should sort out their problems, but let the cricketers play cricket, and give them visas if any IPL franchise wanted them.

Look I am not going to pretend to be expert on sub continent politics, but what it appears to an outsider.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    And who has held them accountable ? Picking Players is a business decision which some folks can't get in their head. Yes it would have been great to have those players in IPL, they bring great entertainment but there is an uncertainty over their participation then why should any franchise invest its money on them.

Some folks continue to beat the drum of how their players, their country has been insulted and what a slap it has been. Well if that is what they think then they should just refresh their memory.

[QUOTE=Sanz;2129418]The way it is being argued here and elsewhere as if India and Indian Corporate have an obligation to pick Pak players. There is so much talk of self respect, Duh these folks play for PCB which treats them worse than a Doormat , where is the self respect then ?

The auction was in MUMBAI, read carefully again, Auction was in MUMBAI in the same TRIDENT Hotel which was attacked last year by terrorists. More than 30 people were killed in that attack, 32 year old Maj. Sandeep was killed saving lnnocent lives. So next time you shed your crocodile tears and shallow national pride and talk about being slapped and insulted, make sure you understand what happened there a year ago.[/QUOTE]

What the hell.. so what has pakistani cricketers have to do with this.. or pakistani cricket..damn i am over this ****.. or else i would teach ignorant people like urself a lesson here.. well i have no time to waste on people like urself.. all i have to say is get a life..

Banned
    The fools have started blabbering

The development has drawn sharp criticism in Pakistan. Aijaz Hussain Jakhrani, the federal sports minister, said he had complained to his Indian counterpart over the incident. "I have phoned the sports minister of India and recorded a protest over the unjust and discriminatory treatment meted out to the Pakistani cricketers," Jakhrani told AFP. "The Pakistani ministries of sports, interior and foreign affairs had given political and security clearance to Pakistani players in time to play. It is indeed a matter of disrespect to…the champions of Twenty20 World Cup."

When since not getting selected to a purely domestic corporate tournament became "unjust and discriminatory"?

Pakistan hasn't been selecting Indian players for its domestic T20 tournament. I call unjust and unfair treatment
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Yes the IPL franchises are free to sign whoever they like, and nobody is twisting the arm of the franchise owners to sign a Pakistani player, I understand that part well, but what I am getting at is that both sides of government (Pakistan and India) should sort out their problems, but let the cricketers play cricket, and give them visas if any IPL franchise wanted them.

Look I am not going to pretend to be expert on sub continent politics, but what it appears to an outsider.
    From what I know , they already have the Visas. Visa issue is not there not anymore, its just that the IPL Franchise don't want to take the risk right now. It is the uncertainty over participation of these players because either government can pull the plug anytime playing the jingoism card.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    What the hell.. so what has pakistani cricketers have to do with this.. or pakistani cricket..damn i am over this ****.. or else i would teach ignorant people like urself a lesson here.. well i have no time to waste on people like urself.. all i have to say is get a life..
    Since you have skipped all the idiotic posts made by your countrymen, I suggest that you start reading this thread from the first post and then come back and let me know if you find anything objectionable there.

I cannot help but notice that some posters forget that it was the Pakistan govt that refused permission for their players to play in IPL2, not the Indian govt.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Sanz, GIJoe.. why bring up logic and common sense in such threads?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Banned
    India have some racist goon running around making threats to the Australian players and the Indian government are condoning this behavoir so it dosent surprise me what happened to the Pakistan players.

Afridi's Manager Umran Khan :
    "The Indian Premier League have been using Afridi's name and pictures to publicise the tournament and to build up the hype and he was expected to be one of the most popular players amongst the franchises,"

Guess which country the dude on the lft belongs to.

http://www.iplt20.com/video.php
    Last edited by Sanz; 20-01-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post

Guess which country the dude on the lft belongs to.

Indian Premier League | IPLT20 Videos
    er. so how come the government issued the dude on the left a visa and refused the others?

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information