• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

pasag

RTDAS
Unless I'm missing something, I don't understand why one crafty team didn't just pick up a couple of the best players at basement prices?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Because if those players don't show up, its still a wasted spot. Besides, many of them were eyeing Pollard and Bond anyway.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Let us cool down a bit. Fellow indians, please don't assume that all pakistanis are like sohail tanveer. I visit and read many blogs by pakistanis and they are as honest and scrupulous as one could get and they are also not few in number. I am sure there are many more pakistanis which do not think of hindoos as with bagal mein churri kinds.
Some of the blogs that i read and have helped me a lot in changing my opinion about pakistanis:
Pak Tea House
A Reluctant Mind
Cafe Pyala
Five Rupees

Also i am pasting a link. This link is strictly not for any Hyper pakistani nationalist. Fir na kahna ki batya nahin

YouTube - Hitler Finds out about IPL snub to Pakistani players

enjoy

Been there done that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Unless I'm missing something, I don't understand why one crafty team didn't just pick up a couple of the best players at basement prices?
For starters, Afridi wasn't available at basement price. His base price was 250K, Tanvir for 200K, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, Abdul Razzaq, Mohammad Aamer, Saeed Ajmal, Umar Gul,Kamran Akmal, Umar Akma, Misbah-ul-Haq all for 100K.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Meanwhile Darren Berry, a member of the Rajasthan Royals' coaching staff, wrote in his column in the Australian daily, the Age, that until a few weeks ago highly rated 19-year-old Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal was the franchise's main target at the auction. However, for reasons Berry wasn't sure of, Akmal dropped off Rajasthan's radar.

"I do know - due to my coaching role with the Rajasthan Royals - that a few weeks ago Umar Akmal was No. 1 priority on the Royals' shopping list," he wrote. "All of a sudden he was not available. As the auction unfolded live on TV in India, it became evident that it wasn't just Umar Akmal who was in the no-go zone, but all of the Pakistan players."

YES IT WAS STRICTLY BUSINESS..... hahahaha

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Let us cool down a bit. Fellow indians, please don't assume that all pakistanis are like sohail tanveer. I visit and read many blogs by pakistanis and they are as honest and scrupulous as one could get and they are also not few in number. I am sure there are many more pakistanis which do not think of hindoos as with bagal mein churri kinds.
Some of the blogs that i read and have helped me a lot in changing my opinion about pakistanis:
Pak Tea House
A Reluctant Mind
Cafe Pyala
Five Rupees

Also i am pasting a link. This link is strictly not for any Hyper pakistani nationalist. Fir na kahna ki batya nahin

YouTube - Hitler Finds out about IPL snub to Pakistani players

enjoy
Achtung Baby,

I did post earlier that "ben there done that" but again I decided to give your links another try. First one and guess who I found there an old friend Yaseer Hamdani and as usual he is so predictable just like the old times when we met .

Bigotry In The Indian Premier League And The Bigger Picture Pak Tea House

"....but the truth is that Indians today are drunk with power and acting like the world’s newly rich. All of a sudden a hitherto mal-nourished and largely backward people through no fault of their own, mired in religious superstition and other such meandering parochialisms, find themselves sitting on a lot of wealth (or so they think) primarily – though not completely- because they have perfected the fine art and exact science of geometric population multiplication. ..."

Just like the old times, nothing has changed and my folks were right, I have been proved wrong, time and again.

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
The very idea that BCCI/IPL/Ind created a devious plan to keep Pak players out and screw Pakistan is hilarious! This is like making mountains out of molehills

Below is what I wrote somewhere else, answering a fellow Pak posters allegations on how Ind tried to screw up Pak .... I guess, most of it would apply to this thread too!

ret said:
What that (RR wanting Umer Akmal) tells is that francisees did consider each and every of those 66 players and in the end selected 11/12 that best suited their needs .... Business decisions are based on a lot of factors including percieved availaibality/unavailability (which again depends up on a lot of factors) which is something that prevented players like Swann too from getting a contract!

And it's should be quite obvious that Pak players availability can change even due to slight tension b/w the two countries. In RR's case, it's easy to see that they did consider likes of Akmal as one of the options but thought by picking Martyn they wouldn't lose much (or anything) and won't have to worried about other factors!

Are you suggesting that if a team considers 5 options say one from Aus, Pak, NZ, Eng and WI and because a **** player is one of the option, they have to go for it! Even if a Pak player is a slightly better option if they think there could be problems, they have a right to select someone else equally good. On the other, if they only have Pak player as an option, then they could go for him but that wasn't the case. You never know what happens in auctions as more than one team could be looking for bowlers, batsmen, all-rounders and so on

Before the auction, there is no way to know who you are going to end up with! For example, MI got Pollard but if Pollard had been picked up by osmeone else and Afridi was the only option then they would bid on him!

Why would anyone want to purposely show Pak in a bad light? Is that what sports is for? .... Despite all this if you still feel that BCCI/IPL/Ind purposely formed a devious plan to do this to Pak players to disgrace Pakistan then you are free to avoid all IPLs in the future. If your players (understand this) in future play in IPL then all this drama created by Pakistan would mean little (because if you seriously believed that Ind (all parties involved) did this in all seriouness to disgrace Pak then you shouldn't be playing in any IPL)

I am not discussing whether IPL screwed Pak players (and thus Pak). I leave that up to you to decide. If you think IPL screwed you up then show some dignity by not participating in future IPLs.

The experts below from Hindustan Times tells a lot

HT said:
Indian Premier League chairman and commissioner Lalit Modi said the recent auction does not suggest that the doors of cash rich Twenty20 league are shut on Pakistani players, and they can still be part of the third edition if some players drop out.

None of the 11 Pakistani players was picked in last week's auction, leaving the cricketers angry and humiliated. The issue has now snowballed into a diplomatic row with Pakistan calling it a deliberate ploy of India.

Things got so bitter that the Pakistan authorities declared that none of their players will feature in the IPL next year and also the Champions League Twenty20.

Modi, however, said he is hopeful that Pakistani players will return in future editions of IPL.

"I am sure the Pakistani players will return," Modi told CNN-IBN. "We will discuss this with the Pakistan board officials when we meet them."

"Some teams have still not finished their quota of players and some players can still drop out. In that case, franchises can choose Pakistani players as replacements."

Modi also denied any mishandling in the IPL auction, and insisted that the decision to leave out Pakistani players was only of the franchisees. He also cleared that no directions had come from the government in this regard.

"I don't think that there's any mishandling, the franchisees decided on their own," Modi said. "We never said in the first place that the government in any way nudged us in that direction. So it was a decision that was taken by the franchisees and let's leave it at that. There was no pre-decision."

"They were all worried about the availability and that's why the Australians weren't picked up along with many other players and all that we keep hearing now is one story - about not bidding for Pakistani cricketers."

It's unfortunate that none of the Pak players were selected but I don't think this should have been turned in to a national issue by Pak. The question to ask is what if there were on player no the shortlist? Would they have made that in to an issue too like 'Ind has no Pak player on the shortlist'. People who want to make issue would make an issue out of almost anything!

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
It's unfortunate that none of the Pak players were selected but I don't think this should have been turned in to a national issue by Pak. The question to ask is what if there were on player no the shortlist? Would they have made that in to an issue too like 'Ind has no Pak player on the shortlist'. People who want to make issue would make an issue out of almost anything!
In the otherwise moronic TV show that contained Sohail Tanvir's call in, they interviewed a serious looking sort (beard, cap & all) who said something that we need to chew on. It seems somewhat unusual for that type of person to blurt out that cricket was practically a second religion in Pakistan and how dare people trod on it.

I like my glasses half full, so it sounded to me like cricket really is one more thing for the rest of the world to grab that country with and out of the hands of the /*insert nom de jour of any of a dozen groups*/. Please don't pee in that particular glass, thanks.

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
In the otherwise moronic TV show that contained Sohail Tanvir's call in, they interviewed a serious looking sort (beard, cap & all) who said something that we need to chew on. It seems somewhat unusual for that type of person to blurt out that cricket was practically a second religion in Pakistan and how dare people trod on it.

I like my glasses half full, so it sounded to me like cricket really is one more thing for the rest of the world to grab that country with and out of the hands of the /*insert nom de jour of any of a dozen groups*/. Please don't pee in that particular glass, thanks.
there is no point in peeing in a half full glass!

Last edited:

Achtung Baby

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Achtung Baby,

I did post earlier that "ben there done that" but again I decided to give your links another try. First one and guess who I found there an old friend Yaseer Hamdani and as usual he is so predictable just like the old times when we met .

Bigotry In The Indian Premier League And The Bigger Picture Pak Tea House

"....but the truth is that Indians today are drunk with power and acting like the world’s newly rich. All of a sudden a hitherto mal-nourished and largely backward people through no fault of their own, mired in religious superstition and other such meandering parochialisms, find themselves sitting on a lot of wealth (or so they think) primarily – though not completely- because they have perfected the fine art and exact science of geometric population multiplication. ..."

Just like the old times, nothing has changed and my folks were right, I have been proved wrong, time and again.
You said "First one and guess who I found there an old friend Yaseer Hamdani and as usual he is so predictable just like the old times when we met " I assume this was a sarcastic remark. Sorry i am little bad at identifying sarcasm (Just like Sheldon (Big Bang Theory) :)). Coming on to ylh i agree he takes very little time to loose his temper but you cannot accuse him of being prejudice. He hates everybody (Indian and Pakis) equally whoever doesn't agree with him. I would request you to read the post "Shahrukh You rock" on pak tea house along with the rather caustic arguments carried on in the comments section. Specifically i would request you to read ylh's comment at "January 26, 2010 at 5:02 pm" in this post.

There are enough people in pakistan who do not think like Sohail Tanveer or like our beloved "Faisal1985" .
Also, i would request my indian friends to see the videos uploaded on this youtube channel.
This channel is being run by two Pakistani girls.
YouTube - shaziazenabshow's Channel

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Achtung Baby,

There is nothing in this world that YLH can or will write is going to change my mind about him or his country. I have read his stuff from his Rutger Days. And I will leave it at that, this is not the place or time to talk about. If you want to discuss more you are welcome to send me an email.

I know that not everyone in Pakistan thinks like Tanvir, but they are the majority. I am very fond of Pakistan, its culture, music, art, Sufism. I am an impassionate fan of Pakistan's Founding Father and his principals but sadly none of that matters in today's Pakistan and its majority populace.

All IMO of course.

bagapath

International Captain
afridi has said he will forgive and forget the snub if invited to play in IPL. pakistani players are selling their self respect clamoring for indian money so shamelessly like this. IPL, for them, cannot be anything more than money. why else would they bother about 20-20 games between bangalore and hyderabad and chennai and chandigarh when their own test and one day teams are struggling? their approach is getting sadder with some uneducated cricketers from pak speaking about this issue along communal lines hoping to make themselves look like martyrs. pak in general needs quality education; their cricketers need some patriotism. money can wait.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Question for the Mods here:

Where is the line, which, when you cross you get a warning or get banned?

I mean seriously?

Don't want to go down this path but this is simple provocation!!!!
That post of yours justifying what Tanvir said is where we generally hope the line would be drawn... :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It is so frustrating to hear about all this. I just hope that IPL goes away for good.

Crap tournament, crap organizers and crap participants.

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
afridi has said he will forgive and forget the snub if invited to play in IPL. pakistani players are selling their self respect clamoring for indian money so shamelessly like this. IPL, for them, cannot be anything more than money. why else would they bother about 20-20 games between bangalore and hyderabad and chennai and chandigarh when their own test and one day teams are struggling? their approach is getting sadder with some uneducated cricketers from pak speaking about this issue along communal lines hoping to make themselves look like martyrs. pak in general needs quality education; their cricketers need some patriotism. money can wait.
nopes that was yesterday , today its different Afridi-takes-u-turn-says-not-interested-in-IPL

he must be smoking pot with asif in the hotel room :laugh: